    my internet banking. so it is rather important

    take care all

    thanks in advance
    hawkeye uk, Mar 3, 2005

  2. hawkeye uk

    mikeFNB Guest

    do the usual things like scandisk etc,
    check that you have not got a corrupted file or part of that ie6 needs.

    mike

    "hawkeye uk" <> wrote in message
    > it seems that whenever i would like to open a link from a page explorer
    > performs an illegal operation and closes. it happens whenever the link is

    > pop up.
    >
    > i am absolutely baffled as to what the problem could be. it has come on

    very

    mikeFNB, Mar 3, 2005

  3. "hawkeye uk" <> wrote in message
    > it seems that whenever i would like to open a link from a page explorer
    > performs an illegal operation and closes. it happens whenever the link is
    > pop up.
    >
    > i am absolutely baffled as to what the problem could be. it has come on
    > very
    > suddenly i.e. ive made no major changes to my computer or settings.
    >
    > im running avast anti virus (recommended by this newsgroup - thanks)
    >
    > ive also got windows firewall turned on.
    >
    > ive tried shutting these off with no success.
    >
    > any ideas would be greatly appreciated. i need it solved so i can continue
    > my internet banking. so it is rather important
    >
    > take care all
    >
    > thanks in advance

    First eliminate any spyware.
    What You Should Know About Spyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/devioussoftware.mspx

    CAUTION!!!!! Removing some spyware can damage the Winsock stact. Before
    you try to remove spyware using any of these programs , download a copy of
    LSP-Fix - a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks (all Windows
    versions)
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
    Winsockfix for W95, W98, ME, NT, 2000, XP
    http://www.tacktech.com/pub/winsockfix/WinsockFix.zip
    Directions here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257
    WinXP:
    Get WinSockxpFix
    How to Reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
    In WinXP SP2: You can fix Winsock by going to Start | Run and typing
    CMD
    In the command window type
    netsh winsock reset

    See
    Dealing with Unwanted Malware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

    Note that AdAware and SpyBot S & D will each catch some things the other
    won't. Also, each needs to be updated with the program's update function
    before every use, even when just downloaded. There's also a lot more to do
    than just those two programs. CWShredder is also available here:
    http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder
    **Post your HijackThis log to
    http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
    http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
    http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/ or the Spyware forum at
    http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not here.**
    Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis and CWShredder
    may be found on this page:
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.

    See this link for information about malware:
    http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/malware.ars

    If nothing there helps, please post back to this thread.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, Mar 4, 2005
  4. hawkeye uk

    hawkeye uk Guest

    im sorry to say that i have tried the winsock method and removed all spyware
    using adaware and the problem is still present.

    i really appreciated the help i got from you though. it taught me a few
    things for the future.

    not sure what to do now though.

    thanks

    rob
    hawkeye uk, Mar 4, 2005
  5. hawkeye uk

    Malke Guest

    hawkeye uk wrote:

    > im sorry to say that i have tried the winsock method and removed all
    > spyware using adaware and the problem is still present.
    >
    > i really appreciated the help i got from you though. it taught me a
    > few things for the future.
    >
    > not sure what to do now though.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > rob

    Rob, just for fun (hah hah), swap out your nic for a known-working one
    (or modem if that is how you connect) and see if you still get the
    problem.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User