Explorer not responding after adding hard drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by George, Jul 25, 2003.

  1. George

    George Guest

    Hi
    Since adding a second hard drive to my PC I am having problem with
    explorer not responding when deleting large files. The files delete ok
    but the window they were in freezes, then after a few minutes it
    recovers. Similar when transferring large files from one disk to the
    other.

    I have tried the new drive as the Primary master, Secondary master and
    secondary slave with the same results.

    IDE config is:

    Primary master = 20Gig Seagate HD
    Primary slave = Pioneer DVD drive (player)
    Secondary master = 20Gig Seagate HD
    Secondary slave = Plextor 40x12x40

    Jumpers on the back of the drives are correct. Bios picks everything up
    ok as does Windows.

    The problem only started when the second hard drive was added. Other
    than that things seem to work fine.

    System:
    Windows 98SE
    Duron 1.3Ghz
    K7S5A
    256MB PC 133 Ram

    Motherboard bios is up to date.

    Any ideas?

    Cheers

    --
    Remove N0_SPAM_PLEAZE to email
    It's a spring thing

    George, Jul 25, 2003

  2. George

    °Mike° Guest

    Restrict the number of file/folders you keep in any one
    directory, *especially* 'My Documents'.

    See my sig and perform some basic cleanup maintenance.

    On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 22:02:05 +0100, in
    <>
    George scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jul 25, 2003

  3. George

    Unk Guest

    The problem is with Win98. The OS ran low on resources.
    The only way to recover after that happens is to reboot.

    System Resources Explained.
    http://www.aumha.org/a/resource.htm
    http://www.onlinehelp.bc.ca/tips.htm#resources

    Unk

    Unk, Jul 25, 2003
  4. George

    George Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Restrict the number of file/folders you keep in any one
    > directory, *especially* 'My Documents'.
    >
    > See my sig and perform some basic cleanup maintenance.

    Thanks for that. I'll try moving the stuff in My documents to another
    folder and just add a shortcut to it, however up until the addition of
    the new drive there was no problem and the My documents folder is the
    same size. Will give it a try all the same.

    George, Jul 26, 2003
  5. George

    Shep© Guest

    On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 23:57:23 +0100, In this world we created George
    <> wrote :

    >In article <>,
    >says...
    >> The problem is with Win98. The OS ran low on resources.
    >> The only way to recover after that happens is to reboot.

    >Hi
    >Thanks for the reply.
    >
    >I'm not sure it is a resource issue as such, as it happens after a reboot
    >with no programs running. When it does happen I don't need to reboot to
    >clear it either. Waiting a few minutes does the trick and then anything
    >else I am doing works fine. However for those few minutes I can't do
    >anything with windows explorer.
    >
    >Strange one. It seems related to the addition of the extra hard drive
    >as it never happened prior to that.

    MS explorer has a bug that affects some users and not others when
    manipulating large files.
    Try the free replacement,"2X Explorer" which does not have this issue,
    http://netez.com/2xExplorer/
    Don't use the Beta version as yet.
    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    Free songs download,

    Shep©, Jul 26, 2003
  6. George

    George Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 23:57:23 +0100, In this world we created George
    > <> wrote :
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > >says...
    > >> The problem is with Win98. The OS ran low on resources.
    > >> The only way to recover after that happens is to reboot.

    > >Hi
    > >Thanks for the reply.
    > >
    > >I'm not sure it is a resource issue as such, as it happens after a reboot
    > >with no programs running. When it does happen I don't need to reboot to
    > >clear it either. Waiting a few minutes does the trick and then anything
    > >else I am doing works fine. However for those few minutes I can't do
    > >anything with windows explorer.
    > >
    > >Strange one. It seems related to the addition of the extra hard drive
    > >as it never happened prior to that.

    > MS explorer has a bug that affects some users and not others when
    > manipulating large files.
    > Try the free replacement,"2X Explorer" which does not have this issue,
    > http://netez.com/2xExplorer/
    > Don't use the Beta version as yet.
    > HTH :)

    Thanks, will give it a try.