    fruitless because Explorer won't save the url and it always reverts back
    to the company store. Obviously something is set to lock out any
    changes, but where do we look?

    Gary, Apr 20, 2005

  2. Gary

    John Holmes Guest

    Gary asked in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    Ask the admin, you ****.

    --
    - John Holmes -

    " I ain't no **** "

    \|/

    John Holmes, Apr 20, 2005

  3. Gary

    FML Guest

    Gary spewed forth...

    > Many folks in our organization are receiving new computers this week
    > that are pre-setup. One of the first things noticed was the goofy home
    > page linked to the organization's splash screen--totally useless.
    > Attempts to change it to something like Yahoo, Netscape, or MSN are
    > fruitless because Explorer won't save the url and it always reverts

    back
    > to the company store. Obviously something is set to lock out any
    > changes, but where do we look?

    Looks like the option t change the startup page has been taken away by
    the admins.

    You could go into the registry with regedit and change the
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\StartPage value to
    whatever you want, but more than likely you won't be allowed to edit the
    registry.

    Or, you could install Firefox but you probably can't do that either.

    About the only way to make it happen is to get your admin to allow it,
    and if they've taken it away, there was probably a reason (right or
    wrong, it is their computer).

    HTH

    FML, Apr 20, 2005
  4. Gary

    Graeme777 Guest

    Graeme777, Apr 20, 2005
  5. Gary

    Dave Lear Guest

    "Gary" wrote in message news:

    > Many folks in our organization are receiving new computers this
    > week that are pre-setup. One of the first things noticed was the
    > goofy home page linked to the organization's splash screen--totally
    > useless. Attempts to change it to something like Yahoo, Netscape,
    > or MSN are fruitless because Explorer won't save the url and it always
    > reverts back to the company store. Obviously something is set to
    > lock out any changes, but where do we look?

    If your workstations are in a Win2000 or Win2003 Active Directory domain
    then your company is probably enforcing the homepage URL by making use of
    Group Policy, i.e.

    Group Policy
    User Configuration
    Windows Settings
    Internet Explorer Maintenance
    URLs
    Important URLs
    Home page URL

    If that's the case, even if you manually change the registry key / value
    holding the homepage URL the next time a background policy update takes
    effect, or you log out and in again, the policy will reset it.

    Your company obviously want you to use their site as a homepage. If you
    don't want to use it then why not create an favorite to what you would /
    used to use for your homepage, stick this on your desktop and use the
    favorite rather than the direct link to IEXPLORE.EXE ?

    Dave Lear, Apr 20, 2005