Explorer has caused an error in SHLWAPI.DLL

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by J, Dec 1, 2003.

  1. J

    J Guest

    I'm hoping someone can help me solve this - it is proving to be very
    irritating.

    Ever since installing the latest cumulative security update for Internet
    Explorer I keep getting this error:

    "Explorer has caused an error in SHLWAPI.DLL
    Explorer will now close.

    If you continue to experience problems,
    try restarting your computer."

    The full error message is as follows:
    EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
    module SHLWAPI.DLL at 01a7:70a9ba71.
    Registers:
    EAX=7cbdbde0 CS=01a7 EIP=70a9ba71 EFLGS=00010202
    EBX=00000000 SS=01af ESP=01a1e984 EBP=01a1e98c
    ECX=00000001 DS=01af ESI=00000050 FS=36ef
    EDX=0000ffff ES=01af EDI=01a1ebe8 GS=170e
    Bytes at CS:EIP:
    0f b7 10 8d 44 50 02 75 f6 0f b7 18 8d 4e ff 3b
    Stack dump:
    7cb72a48 0049c980 01a1edf4 7cb977ea 7cb70000
    00000004 01a1ebfa 00000050 01a1ebd8 00000000
    7fc04f9c 04c904b0 00000001 01a1ebd8 0049c990
    01a1f5b4

    I've looked at the Microsoft support site and also their newsgroups and
    have tried a number of things which seemed relevant, but none of them
    have made any difference. Things I have tried include:
    - uninstalling the update
    - repairing Internet Explorer
    - reinstalling Internet Explorer
    - replacing the copy of SHLWAPI.DLL in c:\windows\system

    The configuration of my machine is as follows:
    AMD Athlon based PC running Windows ME (4.90.3000), 1 gig of RAM, 2 hard
    discs (40Gb and 120Gb). Have all the latest Windows security updates etc

    Regards,

    James

    J, Dec 1, 2003

  2. J

    John Holmes Guest

    <snip>

    Never heard of google huh? Searching for /shlwapi.dll error/ gave me:

    "It ain't much, if it ain't Dutch..."

    John Holmes, Dec 1, 2003

  3. J

    Boomer Guest

    J <> wrote in news::

    > I'm hoping someone can help me solve this - it is proving to be
    > very irritating.
    >
    > Ever since installing the latest cumulative security update for
    > Internet Explorer I keep getting this error:
    >
    > "Explorer has caused an error in SHLWAPI.DLL
    > Explorer will now close.
    >
    > If you continue to experience problems,
    > try restarting your computer."
    >
    > The full error message is as follows:
    > EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
    > module SHLWAPI.DLL at 01a7:70a9ba71.

    [snip]
    > I've looked at the Microsoft support site and also their
    > newsgroups and have tried a number of things which seemed
    > relevant, but none of them have made any difference. Things I have
    > tried include: - uninstalling the update
    > - repairing Internet Explorer
    > - reinstalling Internet Explorer
    > - replacing the copy of SHLWAPI.DLL in c:\windows\system
    >
    > The configuration of my machine is as follows:
    > AMD Athlon based PC running Windows ME (4.90.3000), 1 gig of RAM,
    > 2 hard discs (40Gb and 120Gb). Have all the latest Windows
    > security updates etc

    > Regards,
    >
    > James

    Here's another one to try:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft
    ..com:80/support/kb/articles/Q239/0/94.ASP&NoWebContent=1

    Your shorter link is: http://makeashorterlink.com/?G1EF21EA6

    Boomer, Dec 1, 2003
  4. J

    J Guest

    I had tried Google earlier. However, as shlwapi.dll is a general utility
    file, most of the search results are not relevant to the specific error
    that my machine is reporting. I went through approx the first 750
    results. Searching on "Explorer has caused an error in SHLWAPI.DLL"
    returned 225 results. I had also gone through all of these and based on
    these searches I tried the "proposed solutions" I listed earlier. I had
    also searched extensively through Microsoft's knowledge base and did not
    find anything else to try.

    During the searching I did notice that a number of others were reporting
    the same error and also that it only started to happen after installing
    the latest MS security update. This is why I was very specific with the
    error message that I posted. I thought someone here may be able to make
    sense of all that detail.

    Thanks anyway.

    J, Dec 1, 2003
  5. J

    J Guest

    Thanks - I had already tried that. Couldn't find anything there to solve
    the problem.

    J, Dec 1, 2003
  6. J

    Boomer Guest

    J <> wrote in news::

    > I had tried Google earlier. However, as shlwapi.dll is a general
    > utility file, most of the search results are not relevant to the
    > specific error that my machine is reporting.

    You might try asking at a few Microsoft groups or serach the archive.
    (http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en)

    --
    I need to go lie down in a darkened room.
    -anOLDun

    Boomer, Dec 1, 2003
  7. J

    Liz Guest

    Disable your anti-virus software. Redownload and reinstalled the
    Security update. See if this helps.

    Liz, Dec 1, 2003