Explorer.exe error

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bill Powers, Nov 16, 2003.

  1. Bill Powers

    Bill Powers Guest

    Hopefully someone can help me here. For the past couple of days
    my home page would just change...in the IE properties the website name would
    be the same just some other stuff would be in front of it sending me to a
    search page.
    I guess I ended up on some site that auto changed the home page so I changed
    it and
    thought that would be it. When I closed IE, the problem would return.
    I figured I had some spyware installed and since I haven't run Adware for a
    while I decided to go ahead and do that. It found 3 items so I deleted
    them.
    That took care of the home page switch problem but then it wouldn't let me
    open
    more than one instance of IE. It would give me some error message and the
    option
    of sending a log to MS. After a few times I went ahead and sent the log to
    MS and it
    said that a newer version of IE was available so I followed the link to the
    MS website
    (I'm fairly sure this was the legit site). It told me that some of the
    components didn't load and some other stuff and that I needed to return to
    the old settings which I needed the disk for. After putting in the disk,
    the system didn't seem to use it but the download said I needed to choose
    "finish" and my system would be restarted. Now when I start the computer, I
    get an error message saying that "Explorer.exe generated errors and will be
    closed, you will need to restart the program." Then the screen just stays
    in that "in between" color just before your desk top starts up. Through
    task manager and the "New Task" option, I can get to what ever program I
    need (i.e. Outlook express for this post) although IE no longer works at all
    so I can't browse the web. What have I gotten myself into here? Is there a
    way for me
    to fix Explorer or do I need to re-install? Thanks for the help. Oh, btw,
    I'm running Win2000

    bill...
    --)-------------

    -----------------------
    "I don't know but I been told, you never slow down, you
    never grow old..." - Tom Petty "Mary Jane's Last Dance"

    Bill Powers, Nov 16, 2003

  2. Bill Powers

    °Mike° Guest

    First of all, get somebody to download the following
    for you, and install and use them.

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    Spyware Blaster

    HijackThis
    http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

    Next, use the 'Repair' option for IE from Add\Remove Programs.

    On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 19:36:58 GMT, in
    <ulQtb.1209$>
    Bill Powers scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 16, 2003

  3. Bill Powers

    Bill Powers Guest

    Thanks for the quick response. I do have Ad Ware from Lavasoft and (up
    until the last couple of months) use it liberally. I ran it again just now
    and came up with nothing suspect. As to your other suggestion concerning
    Internet Explorer, I'm not sure how to get to the "repair" option in
    add/remove programs since I have no desktop to navigate from. The only way
    I can get programs to run is to open task manager then with the "new task"
    button browse for the folder/program that I want to run. My real problem
    now is that Explorer.exe generates errors on start up and I end up with a
    blank blue screen (not the "blue screen of death" just that blank screen
    just before the desktop loads). Everything, with the exception of Internet
    Explorer and Explorer.exe, seems to be working fine. Thanks again and hope
    you can help.

    Bill Powers, Nov 16, 2003
  4. Bill Powers

    °Mike° Guest

    That sounds more serious. You're probably going to have
    to use the recovery console. Get somebody to print the
    articles out for you.

    Description of the Windows 2000 Recovery Console

    HOW TO: Install the Windows Recovery Console

    On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 20:44:49 GMT, in
    <5lRtb.1222$>
    Bill Powers scrawled:

    °Mike°, Nov 16, 2003
  5. Bill Powers

    Bill Powers Guest

    Mike,
    Thanks for the info. Although trying it the way the web page described
    didn't really help, it gave me a place to start and try a different
    route...then again, maybe I just read the page wrong. Anyhow, I stumbled
    into sucess and my system is (somewhat) back to normal. Thanks again for
    the help. Take care,

    bill...

    Bill Powers, Nov 18, 2003
  6. Bill Powers