Explorer.exe chokes CPU 100% during 2 mins from startup

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Maria, Apr 15, 2005.

  1. Maria

    Maria Guest

    W98SE - 450 MHz AMD desktop. Conservatiive SwaPFileUsage set = 1.

    Once booted and AFTER all 6 apps have started Explore.exe chokes the CPU 100%
    during exactly 2 mins.

    One of its threads, FFxxxx, utilizes 100% of CPU power to do 'something.'

    Its STATE COLUMN (TaskInfo 2003) reads 'E-handlers', changing to 'Block' after 2
    mins.

    Then all quiet and hence good operations, CPU utilization 1-3% when idle.

    It is annoying since one wants to employ the CPU hardest shortly after starting
    up.

    What can this be?

    Any suggestions?

    Ciao, Maria

    Maria, Apr 15, 2005

  2. Maria

    °Mike° Guest

    There is no mention of you monitoring your swap file, or how much
    memory you have installed -- if you use the conservativeswapfileusage
    switch when your system consistently uses the swap file, performance
    WILL reduce. Use the system monitor over a number of days, and
    monitor the "Swap File in use".

    In <>,
    Maria took 23 lines to utter:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Apr 16, 2005

  3. Maria

    Maria Guest

    Re: Explorer.exe chokes CPU 100% during 2 mins from startup - SOLVED

    "°Mike°" wrote:

    > There is no mention of you monitoring your swap file, or how much
    > memory you have installed -- if you use the conservativeswapfileusage
    > switch when your system consistently uses the swap file, performance
    > WILL reduce. Use the system monitor over a number of days, and
    > monitor the "Swap File in use".
    >
    > In <>,
    > Maria took 23 lines to utter:
    >
    > >W98SE - 450 MHz AMD desktop. Conservatiive SwaPFileUsage set = 1.
    > >
    > >Once booted and AFTER all 6 apps have started Explore.exe chokes the CPU 100%
    > >during exactly 2 mins.
    > >
    > >One of its threads, FFxxxx, utilizes 100% of CPU power to do 'something.'
    > >
    > >Its STATE COLUMN (TaskInfo 2003) reads 'E-handlers', changing to 'Block' after 2
    > >mins.
    > >
    > >Then all quiet and hence good operations, CPU utilization 1-3% when idle.
    > >
    > >It is annoying since one wants to employ the CPU hardest shortly after starting
    > >up.
    > >
    > >What can this be?
    > >
    > >Any suggestions?
    > >
    > >Ciao, Maria
    > >

    > --
    > Basic computer maintenance

    Hi MIke, the culprit appeared to be a trojan called Beagle/Bagel, trying to phone
    home or do other harm.
    It appears as a program file called 'winshost.exe' nesting in W:\SYSTEM.
    Once discovered and killed everythiung is back to normal
    Thanks, Maria

    Maria, Apr 17, 2005
  4. Maria

    °Mike° Guest

    Re: Explorer.exe chokes CPU 100% during 2 mins from startup - SOLVED

    In <>,
    Maria took 45 lines to utter:

    >"°Mike°" wrote:
    >
    >> There is no mention of you monitoring your swap file, or how much
    >> memory you have installed -- if you use the conservativeswapfileusage
    >> switch when your system consistently uses the swap file, performance
    >> WILL reduce. Use the system monitor over a number of days, and
    >> monitor the "Swap File in use".

    <snip>

    >Hi MIke, the culprit appeared to be a trojan called Beagle/Bagel, trying to phone
    >home or do other harm.
    >It appears as a program file called 'winshost.exe' nesting in W:\SYSTEM.
    >Once discovered and killed everythiung is back to normal
    >Thanks, Maria

    I'm glad you got it sorted, and you're welcome.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Apr 17, 2005