    Rick Guest

    I keep getting a box popping up saying Internet Explorer has encountered a
    problem and needs to close. How do I fix this? Thanks
    Rick, Feb 15, 2004

  2. Rick

    mark mandel Guest

    "Rick" <> wrote in message
    news:QHzXb.502613$X%5.240558@pd7tw2no...
    > I keep getting a box popping up saying Internet Explorer has encountered a
    > problem and needs to close. How do I fix this? Thanks

    Possibly(and I emphasize this word cuz there are many "possible" causes for
    this)you can start by using the Internet Explorer Repair Tool.

    If it's Win98, go from Start to Run, type in msinfo32 and at the top where
    it says tools, left click and then click the first item listed, "Internet
    Explorer Repair Tool" and take it from there.

    mark mandel, Feb 15, 2004

  3. Rick

    Stu Guest

    I'd suggest running a program such as Spybot or Adaware to scan your
    computer for spyware and adaware. Such Spyware as Coolwebsearch have been
    known to cause errors in Internet Explorer.

    If this doesnt work can you give more details of the error.

    Stu, Feb 15, 2004
  4. Rick

    Rick Guest

    Hi, tried and that didnt work. Im running XP. I can open IE and get a few
    sites then the box pops up and I have to close IE. If I click on a link I
    get the message right away? Thanks any help?

    Rick, Feb 15, 2004
  5. Rick

    Dan Rather Guest

    Hello:

    If you are running Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 then go to your
    control panel and click Add Remove Programs. Highlight the Microsoft
    Internet Explorer and click the remove button. A menu should appear
    asking you if you want to remove, repair or something else I can't
    remember. Click repair and take it from there. I hope this helps.

    Dan Rather, Feb 16, 2004
  6. Rick

    Thor Guest

    It should be noted that on Windows XP, this will only work if the user has
    subsequently installed IE 6 SP1, since the built-in version of IE6 that
    comes with XP will not have an entry in the add/remove list. The same goes
    for IE6 SP1 when it is installed via the XP SP1 service pack, or as part of
    Windows XP with SP1 integrated. No repair utility in that situation. There
    is however, a way to reinstall IE in those situations. Microsoft has
    provided the instructions in KB article 318378. Quoted below:

    When you try to reinstall the same version of Internet Explorer, you may
    receive the following error message:

    Setup has detected a newer version of Internet Explorer already installed on
    this system.
    Setup cannot continue.
    To avoid this error message and reinstall the same version of Internet
    Explorer and Outlook Express, follow these steps:
    1.. While you are logged on as an administrator, click Start, and then
    click Run.
    2.. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    3.. Locate the appropriate registry subkey, right-click the IsInstalled
    (REG_DWORD) value, and then click Modify.

    To reinstall only the Internet Explorer 6 browser component on Windows XP,
    use the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
    Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}

    To reinstall only Outlook Express 6 on Windows XP, use the following
    registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
    Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}

    4.. Change the value data from 1 to 0, and then click OK.
    5.. Quit Registry Editor, and then install Internet Explorer 6.

    Thor, Feb 16, 2004
  7. Rick

    mena Guest

    "Stu" <> wrote in message
    > I'd suggest running a program such as Spybot or Adaware to scan your
    > computer for spyware and adaware. Such Spyware as Coolwebsearch have been
    > known to cause errors in Internet Explorer.
    >
    > If this doesnt work can you give more details of the error.
    >

    > On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 01:12:16 GMT, Rick <> wrote:
    >
    > > I keep getting a box popping up saying Internet Explorer has encountered
    > > problem and needs to close. How do I fix this? Thanks

    _______________________________
    I had this exact problem. I was only using Spybot Search and Destroy. I
    downloaded a copy of AdAware and ran it, in addition to the SS&D. The IE
    problem seems to have disappeared (for now, anyway.)
    mena, Feb 17, 2004
  8. Dear: Rick

    I have had the same problem on my computer, On my computer it was a resalt of
    a Virus. It would be wise to do A system scan. If you don't have Anti-Virus
    software installed, go the The Norton Anti-Virus site or Macfee.

    -Travis Nowicki :)

    Travis Nowicki, Feb 18, 2004