    the problem. Anyone have any ideas? Any worm in the news that causes
    this that I'm not aware of?

    Wayne
    H. Wayne Nix, Sep 22, 2006

  2. H.  Wayne Nix

    Evan Platt Guest

    On 21 Sep 2006 19:41:17 -0700, "H. Wayne Nix" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi. I'm a tech with a virtual isp. We're having a lot of users call in
    >saying that when they open IE it immediately crashes. It doesn't seem
    >to be something on their home page since they are using different
    >pages.
    >
    >I've tried having them use system restore to a point when the browser
    >worked. But windows goes through all the restore process but when it
    >reboots it tells them that it couldn't restore. That's generally the
    >sign of some sort of malware.
    >
    >The problem has just happened tonight. We've gotten about 10 calls with
    >the problem. Anyone have any ideas? Any worm in the news that causes
    >this that I'm not aware of?

    What operating system?

    It crashes with no error?

    Try Start, Run, C:\ <Enter> That will bring up 'Explorer'. Then try
    http://www.anything.com in that explorer window. Does that work?

    I also work at a ISP, we've not recieved any calls like this.
    Evan Platt, Sep 22, 2006

  3. H.  Wayne Nix

    Guest

    Hi,
    just had the same problem.
    Go to add/remove programs and have them remove Yahoo Toolbar. That
    happened on my laptop tonight and removing the toolbar fixed it.
    Jennifer

    H. Wayne Nix wrote:
    > Hi. I'm a tech with a virtual isp. We're having a lot of users call in
    > saying that when they open IE it immediately crashes. It doesn't seem
    > to be something on their home page since they are using different
    > pages.
    >
    > I've tried having them use system restore to a point when the browser
    > worked. But windows goes through all the restore process but when it
    > reboots it tells them that it couldn't restore. That's generally the
    > sign of some sort of malware.
    >
    > The problem has just happened tonight. We've gotten about 10 calls with
    > the problem. Anyone have any ideas? Any worm in the news that causes
    > this that I'm not aware of?
    >
    > Wayne
    , Sep 22, 2006
  4. H.  Wayne Nix

    Wayne Nix Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:
    > On 21 Sep 2006 19:41:17 -0700, "H. Wayne Nix" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Hi. I'm a tech with a virtual isp. We're having a lot of users call in
    > >saying that when they open IE it immediately crashes. It doesn't seem
    > >to be something on their home page since they are using different
    > >pages.
    > >
    > >I've tried having them use system restore to a point when the browser
    > >worked. But windows goes through all the restore process but when it
    > >reboots it tells them that it couldn't restore. That's generally the
    > >sign of some sort of malware.
    > >
    > >The problem has just happened tonight. We've gotten about 10 calls with
    > >the problem. Anyone have any ideas? Any worm in the news that causes
    > >this that I'm not aware of?

    > What operating system?

    XP. That's the only one with system restore that I know of, right?

    > It crashes with no error?

    No error.

    > Try Start, Run, C:\ <Enter> That will bring up 'Explorer'. Then try
    > http://www.anything.com in that explorer window. Does that work?

    The default in xp doesn't have an address bar in explorer windows. So I
    can't try this.

    Wayne Nix, Sep 22, 2006
  5. H.  Wayne Nix

    richard Guest

    "Wayne Nix" <> wrote in message

    > Evan Platt wrote:
    >> On 21 Sep 2006 19:41:17 -0700, "H. Wayne Nix" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hi. I'm a tech with a virtual isp. We're having a lot of users call in
    >> >saying that when they open IE it immediately crashes. It doesn't seem
    >> >to be something on their home page since they are using different
    >> >pages.
    >> >
    >> >I've tried having them use system restore to a point when the browser
    >> >worked. But windows goes through all the restore process but when it
    >> >reboots it tells them that it couldn't restore. That's generally the
    >> >sign of some sort of malware.
    >> >
    >> >The problem has just happened tonight. We've gotten about 10 calls with
    >> >the problem. Anyone have any ideas? Any worm in the news that causes
    >> >this that I'm not aware of?

    >> What operating system?

    > XP. That's the only one with system restore that I know of, right?

    Windows ME also has it.
    Yahoo toolbar installed?

    richard, Sep 22, 2006
  6. H.  Wayne Nix

    Evan Platt Guest

    On 21 Sep 2006 20:29:39 -0700, "Wayne Nix" <> wrote:

    >> What operating system?

    >XP. That's the only one with system restore that I know of, right?

    Well, there's XP home, XP Pro. ME also had System Restore, IIRC.

    >> It crashes with no error?

    >No error.

    So then what happens? It closes out? The system crashes and blue
    screens??

    >> Try Start, Run, C:\ <Enter> That will bring up 'Explorer'. Then try
    >> http://www.anything.com in that explorer window. Does that work?

    >The default in xp doesn't have an address bar in explorer windows. So I
    >can't try this.

    Ok, I'm running Vista, so I'm going from memory - but perhaps you can
    go somwhere under View, Options and turn on that option?
    Evan Platt, Sep 22, 2006
  7. H.  Wayne Nix

    Wayne Nix Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:
    > On 21 Sep 2006 20:29:39 -0700, "Wayne Nix" <> wrote:
    >
    > >> What operating system?

    > >XP. That's the only one with system restore that I know of, right?

    > Well, there's XP home, XP Pro. ME also had System Restore, IIRC.
    >
    > >> It crashes with no error?

    > >No error.

    > So then what happens? It closes out? The system crashes and blue
    > screens??

    Closes out to the desktop.

    It turned out the yahoo toolbar mentioned earlier caused it. Yahoo ran
    some sort of update and it was buggy.

    Wayne
    Wayne Nix, Sep 22, 2006
  8. H.  Wayne Nix