    changing the order.

    Any advice or suggestions on how the preferred Open option can be
    restored to the head of the list ?
    lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz, Jun 13, 2006

  2. lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

    impossible Guest

    <lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz> wrote in message
    > The order in which options appear in an Explorer menu has been
    > changed.
    >
    > Instead of Open being active default option at the head of the list
    > it
    > is now third on the list and Search has moved to the default action
    > position at the head of the list.
    >
    > Thus, when a file or folder would normally open on left click, the
    > Search windows in now displayed.
    >
    > Have tried two so-called menu editors, but neither allowed for
    > changing the order.
    >
    > Any advice or suggestions on how the preferred Open option can be
    > restored to the head of the list ?

    You might want to first think about how/why the settings changed. I
    mention that because if you installed something -- deliberately or
    inadvertently-- that made "search" the default action, you could save
    yourself some grief by uninstalling it, which should restore your
    original settings.

    Anyway, here's the drill: From Explorer, go Tools | Folder
    Options...then get the "file types" tab. These settings are individual
    by file type, so depending on what's been changed exactly you may have
    a lot of work to do. I'll use the "File Folder" example here -- dial
    down on the list of file types until to see "File Folder". Click on
    that and hit the "advanced" button. There you'll see a list of context
    menu options. Pick the one you want to be the default action, first on
    the list, and then hit "set default". That's it.

    Like I say, this could be quite a job if settings for many different
    file types like html or doc have been changed. But the process is the
    same for any of these.
    impossible, Jun 14, 2006