    of my league. I want to use the high speed internet at my library. school and
    Starbuck's. Does anybody know what might be wrong in my set up.

    Thanks
    =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bCBE?=, Oct 9, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bCBE?=

    David Hettel Guest

    Sounds like you might not really be connected. What makes you believe you
    actually are connected? Just because you can find a signal, doesn't mean
    that you can connect. I would suggest that you look at your security
    settings, and/or get help from the school.

    --
    David Hettel

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    confers no rights

    David Hettel, Oct 9, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bCBE?=

    David Hettel Guest

    You may wish to read this on using the Network Diagnostics tool:

    http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=5464827

    and this on troubleshooting TCP/IP connectivity:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314067

    David Hettel, Oct 9, 2006
  4. "Paul D" wrote:
    > I just bought a laptop with a 802.1b/g wireless LAN. When it connects to a
    > wireless netwok at a cafe or school, explorer won't recognize the connection
    > and keeps trying to bring up mu dial up ISP.
    > This is all new to me (my last computer was a pentium II, so I'm a bit out
    > of my league. I want to use the high speed internet at my library. school and
    > Starbuck's. Does anybody know what might be wrong in my set up.

    You really need to read up some starter howto's before you can go wireless.
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/wirelesssetup.mspx

    Also note that many public hotspots require that the first thing
    you do after connection is to open the browser and try to
    navigate to any site. This will open the home page of the
    access provider where you need to click thru their
    user agreement, or enter your access code if needed.
    Only then you can browse freely.

    Regards,
    --PA
    =?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=, Oct 10, 2006