    victim of a terrorist attack. Probably an exploding capacitor... either
    that or El Qaeda!
    , Sep 4, 2005

  2. Robert Baer Guest

    wrote:

    > Yes it can happen! I just had one blow apart in the CDROM. Sounded like
    > a gunshot. Little pieces of silver flecks around the front of the
    > computer and the front panel of the CDROM looks like it's been the
    > victim of a terrorist attack. Probably an exploding capacitor... either
    > that or El Qaeda!

    Nope! The CD itself flew apart.
    What you did, was put an old CD, made for (perhaps) 4X maximum
    rotational speed, into a CD drive that spun the defenseless CD to 40-50X
    rotational speed.
    It just could not take the extreme stress, and shattered.
    This has happened to others.
    If you have an old CD, *always* play it on an old CD drive or a music
    CD player.
    Robert Baer, Sep 5, 2005

  3. GregRo Guest

    On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 06:35:28 GMT, Robert Baer
    <> wrote:

    >ope! The CD itself flew apart.
    > What you did, was put an old CD, made for (perhaps) 4X maximum
    >rotational speed, into a CD drive that spun the defenseless CD to 40-50X
    >rotational speed.
    > It just could not take the extreme stress, and shattered.
    > This has happened to others.
    > If you have an old CD, *always* play it on an old CD drive or a music
    >CD player.

    That not true. Yes it may have broke. The cd disk was defective.
    Actual cd drives are made to spin at less speed.
    Otherwise, you could not burn them at 4x
    The re-writeable disk at from 1x to 12x
    The reason I know it won't break. I have run the old cd installation
    disk and game disks on my 48x cd rom drive constantly

    Now the 52 speed cd-rom should of not been made. They will break even
    the 52 speed disk.

    Greg Ro
    GregRo, Sep 5, 2005
  4. You mean that you can read?