    seen this before? It was a fairly old CD ~ 7 or 8 years old.
    Is this any indication of how long CDs may last or a fluke?

    -Tom

    ToMh, Jul 22, 2005

  2. ToMh

    Ken Guest

    On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 13:32:14 -0700, "ToMh" <> wrote:

    > I just had a CD explode in my drive. It sounded like a firecracker
    > and all that was left was small shards of plastic. Anybody ever
    > seen this before? It was a fairly old CD ~ 7 or 8 years old.
    > Is this any indication of how long CDs may last or a fluke?

    Your CD player spins to fast. Never use faster than 48X.

    Ken, Jul 22, 2005

  3. ToMh, <>, the hideous, old-hat fugitive, and custom house
    officer who searches ships bilges, whispered:

    > I just had a CD explode in my drive. It sounded like a firecracker
    > and all that was left was small shards of plastic. Anybody ever
    > seen this before? It was a fairly old CD ~ 7 or 8 years old.
    > Is this any indication of how long CDs may last or a fluke?
    >
    > -Tom

    Older CD's would explode when placed in newer, faster drives. The industry
    had to pull their socks up and make the disks stronger.
    If you have a number of older disks you would be best advised to make copies
    of them, take measures to read the disks slowly, exploding CDs were known to
    destroy the drives they exploded in.

    is but a dream within a dream.

    Lord Gazwad of Grantham, Jul 22, 2005
  4. ToMh

    summer2k5 Guest

    i dont think the speed of your cd drive matters to cause a cd to break. i
    have 52x and never have a prob with any kind of cd. as for how long a cd
    last, if its kept in a cd case, in good shape away from the dust it can last
    very long time, i have cds that are over 10 yrs and still running.
    as for you cd exploding, thats the 1st time i hear such thing. probably the
    cd was to much damaged and it weekness was hit and broke, but even if it was
    to much damaged 1st thing happens is it wont run at all.

    summer2k5, Jul 22, 2005
  5. ToMh

    Kenny Guest

    I remember reading about this some time ago. It's caused by minor
    flaws/cracks in the CD, not usually a problem at low speed but when drives
    got faster this problem appeared.
    Drive mfrs. had to strengthen the front fascia to stop it exploding outwards
    and perhaps causing injury.

    --
    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Jul 23, 2005
  6. ToMh

    ToMh Guest

    "Ken" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 13:32:14 -0700, "ToMh" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I just had a CD explode in my drive. It sounded like a firecracker
    >> and all that was left was small shards of plastic. Anybody ever
    >> seen this before? It was a fairly old CD ~ 7 or 8 years old.
    >> Is this any indication of how long CDs may last or a fluke?

    > Your CD player spins to fast. Never use faster than 48X.

    It was a 48X.

    ToMh, Jul 23, 2005
  7. ToMh

    John Holmes Guest

    ToMh blabbered in alt.computer:

    > I just had a CD explode in my drive. It sounded like a firecracker
    > and all that was left was small shards of plastic. Anybody ever
    > seen this before? It was a fairly old CD ~ 7 or 8 years old.
    > Is this any indication of how long CDs may last or a fluke?
    >
    > -Tom

    I have heard of this before. It seems it could happen.

    Another true story:
    In the very old days (I'm talking 10 years ago), I once had a 4x cd
    writer in a system. CD's could be written and read fine in that drive.
    But one 2 or 3 occasions when I tried to read a CD that was written on
    another computer, the drive went mad spinning like a helicopter, and upon
    hitting the eject button the CD came out and, amazingly, just flew
    through the office. We replaced the CD drive and it never happened again.

    --
    Your mother was a horny cleaner who lived a life of sin and misery in a
    mortuary.

    John Holmes, Jul 23, 2005
  8. ToMh

    Gazwad Guest

    John Holmes, <>, the susurrant, mentally ill steaming
    hot kanga, and deputy in charge of taking payment from the profits of the
    court, perorate:

    > ToMh blabbered in alt.computer:
    >
    >> I just had a CD explode in my drive. It sounded like a firecracker
    >> and all that was left was small shards of plastic. Anybody ever
    >> seen this before? It was a fairly old CD ~ 7 or 8 years old.
    >> Is this any indication of how long CDs may last or a fluke?
    >>
    >> -Tom
    >>

    > I have heard of this before. It seems it could happen.
    >
    > Another true story:
    > In the very old days (I'm talking 10 years ago), I once had a 4x cd
    > writer in a system. CD's could be written and read fine in that drive.
    > But one 2 or 3 occasions when I tried to read a CD that was written on
    > another computer, the drive went mad spinning like a helicopter, and
    > upon hitting the eject button the CD came out and, amazingly, just
    > flew through the office. We replaced the CD drive and it never
    > happened again.

    You should have kept the drive as a weapon.

    --
    Lunch was nice;

    Scorched syphilis scabs accentuated by foul snake intestines, arranged in a
    bubbling deep dish filled with bleached uncooked lung in perished mouse
    urine, a side of crackers and a keg of skunk piss.

    Gazwad, Jul 23, 2005
  9. ToMh

    John Holmes Guest

    Gazwad blabbered in alt.computer:

    > John Holmes, <>, the susurrant, mentally ill
    > steaming hot kanga, and deputy in charge of taking payment from the
    > profits of the court, perorate:
    >
    >> ToMh blabbered in alt.computer:
    >>
    >>> I just had a CD explode in my drive. It sounded like a firecracker
    >>> and all that was left was small shards of plastic. Anybody ever
    >>> seen this before? It was a fairly old CD ~ 7 or 8 years old.
    >>> Is this any indication of how long CDs may last or a fluke?
    >>>
    >>> -Tom
    >>>

    >> I have heard of this before. It seems it could happen.
    >>
    >> Another true story:
    >> In the very old days (I'm talking 10 years ago), I once had a 4x cd
    >> writer in a system. CD's could be written and read fine in that
    >> drive. But one 2 or 3 occasions when I tried to read a CD that was
    >> written on another computer, the drive went mad spinning like a
    >> helicopter, and upon hitting the eject button the CD came out and,
    >> amazingly, just flew through the office. We replaced the CD drive and
    >> it never happened again.

    > You should have kept the drive as a weapon.

    The behaviour was unpredictable, and therefor unreliable as a weapon. The
    only thing I could do with it is throwing it into somebody's face.

    --
    Your mother was a crazy buffoon who danced naked in a small tent.

    John Holmes, Jul 23, 2005
  10. ToMh

    Gazwad Guest

    John Holmes, <>, the all-around, rancid grocery boy,
    and dealer in dressed and perfumed Labrador dog hair used exclusively in the
    Volvo trade, irrupted:

    It's got enough corners on it, I'm sure you'd give some **** a nasty injury.

    --
    Lunch was nice;

    Ailing cadaver foreskins and liver garnish next to tainted heads of lettuce
    and weasel genitalia conserve, dished up in a chilled tureen stuffed with
    hairy morsels of hide and radish with bits of eel in corrosive unidentified
    slop, a side of pickles and a container of worm tripe broth.

    Gazwad, Jul 23, 2005
  11. ToMh

    John Holmes Guest

    Gazwad blabbered in alt.computer:

    > John Holmes, <>, the all-around, rancid grocery
    > boy, and dealer in dressed and perfumed Labrador dog hair used
    > exclusively in the Volvo trade, irrupted:
    >
    >> Gazwad blabbered in alt.computer:
    >>
    >>> John Holmes, <>, the susurrant, mentally ill
    >>> steaming hot kanga, and deputy in charge of taking payment from the
    >>> profits of the court, perorate:

    >>> You should have kept the drive as a weapon.
    >>>

    >> The behaviour was unpredictable, and therefor unreliable as a weapon.
    >> The only thing I could do with it is throwing it into somebody's
    >> face.

    > It's got enough corners on it, I'm sure you'd give some **** a nasty
    > injury.

    That reminds me of the day some lunatic tried to rob me in the streets of
    my home-town. I reached into my inner pocket, took my cell-phone
    (refrigerator size old type nokia) out and hit the guy in is forehead
    with it. Then I calmly walked away from the scene, leaving the fuckhead
    with a bleeding wound.

    With my high tech, matchbox sized cell-phone I would not try such action
    anymore.

    --
    Your mother was an innocuous twit who used to pick her nose on a farm.

    John Holmes, Jul 23, 2005
  12. ToMh

    Gazwad Guest

    John Holmes, <>, the large, under-fertile onion head,
    and navy press gang member, chided:

    > Gazwad blabbered in alt.computer:
    >
    >> John Holmes, <>, the all-around, rancid grocery
    >> boy, and dealer in dressed and perfumed Labrador dog hair used
    >> exclusively in the Volvo trade, irrupted:
    >>
    >>> Gazwad blabbered in alt.computer:

    >>> The behaviour was unpredictable, and therefor unreliable as a
    >>> weapon. The only thing I could do with it is throwing it into
    >>> somebody's face.

    >> It's got enough corners on it, I'm sure you'd give some **** a nasty
    >> injury.
    >>

    > That reminds me of the day some lunatic tried to rob me in the
    > streets of my home-town. I reached into my inner pocket, took my
    > cell-phone (refrigerator size old type nokia) out and hit the guy in
    > is forehead with it. Then I calmly walked away from the scene,
    > leaving the fuckhead with a bleeding wound.
    >
    > With my high tech, matchbox sized cell-phone I would not try such
    > action anymore.

    A sweaty, drugged up, morocan tried to mug me once in Amsterdam, he went for
    a swim.
    Don't know if he got out again.
    Don't care either.

    --
    Lunch was nice;

    Malignant crunchy handkerchief dregs and apple vinegar next to stinking
    hamster infection roasted aside fricasseed chef's pubic hairs and bat
    intestine conserve, cooked in a randomly twitching bucket brimming with big
    whole tomato and bits of lemming in butter, a side of cheese and a can of
    viper semen.

    Gazwad, Jul 23, 2005
  13. ToMh

    John Holmes Guest

    Gazwad blabbered in alt.computer:

    > John Holmes, <>, the large, under-fertile onion
    > head, and navy press gang member, chided:
    >
    >> Gazwad blabbered in alt.computer:
    >>
    >>> John Holmes, <>, the all-around, rancid grocery
    >>> boy, and dealer in dressed and perfumed Labrador dog hair used
    >>> exclusively in the Volvo trade, irrupted:

    >>> It's got enough corners on it, I'm sure you'd give some **** a nasty
    >>> injury.
    >>>

    >> That reminds me of the day some lunatic tried to rob me in the
    >> streets of my home-town. I reached into my inner pocket, took my
    >> cell-phone (refrigerator size old type nokia) out and hit the guy in
    >> is forehead with it. Then I calmly walked away from the scene,
    >> leaving the fuckhead with a bleeding wound.
    >>
    >> With my high tech, matchbox sized cell-phone I would not try such
    >> action anymore.

    > A sweaty, drugged up, morocan tried to mug me once in Amsterdam, he
    > went for a swim.
    > Don't know if he got out again.
    > Don't care either.

    There /was/ a morrocan found drowned some time ago in Amsterdam as I can
    recall. Thanks for wiping him out of our community. They should all be
    wiped out, the bastards.

    --
    Your mother was an autistic caretaker who could be seen at parties in
    soap factories.

    John Holmes, Jul 23, 2005
  14. ToMh

    Gazwad Guest

    John Holmes, <>, the moneyless, bedraggled flap-dragon,
    and animal trap setter, harried:

    <Walks off whistling>

    --
    Lunch was nice;

    Disintegrating alligator gumboil with bladder topping fondued with steamed
    orangutan infection accompanied with fricasseed prairie dog duodenum with
    cabbage sauce, simmered in a chilled pot brimming with wilted morsels of
    endive, pistachio nut and chive in salt water, a side of cashew chips and a
    bucket of eye gunk.

    Gazwad, Jul 24, 2005
  15. ToMh

    Robert Baer Guest

    John Holmes wrote:

    > ToMh blabbered in alt.computer:
    >

    >>I just had a CD explode in my drive. It sounded like a firecracker
    >>and all that was left was small shards of plastic. Anybody ever
    >>seen this before? It was a fairly old CD ~ 7 or 8 years old.
    >>Is this any indication of how long CDs may last or a fluke?
    >>
    >>-Tom
    >>

    > I have heard of this before. It seems it could happen.
    >
    > Another true story:
    > In the very old days (I'm talking 10 years ago), I once had a 4x cd
    > writer in a system. CD's could be written and read fine in that drive.
    > But one 2 or 3 occasions when I tried to read a CD that was written on
    > another computer, the drive went mad spinning like a helicopter, and upon
    > hitting the eject button the CD came out and, amazingly, just flew
    > through the office. We replaced the CD drive and it never happened again.

    The older disks were not designed to take the stress of the high RPMs
    used in the newer drives.
    Perhaps you have not seen this again, is that you have not tried one
    of those CD disks.

    Robert Baer, Jul 24, 2005
  16. ToMh

    Fred Guest

    Robert Baer, <>, whose name means "unpopular and
    needs to move on; feels inadequate because of the size of his penis; likes
    to call his penis his 'lust bone'", vociferated:

    > The older disks were not designed to take the stress of the high RPMs
    > used in the newer drives.

    Not here.

    > Perhaps you have not seen this again, is that you have not tried one of
    > those CD disks.

    I haven't seen that again?

    Fred, Jul 24, 2005
  17. ToMh

    The One Guest

    > Your mother was an innocuous twit who used to pick her nose on a farm.

    You really are a fucking wanker.

    The One, Jul 31, 2005