Explanation wanted for curious Broadband connect rates

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by PeeCee, Oct 1, 2008.

  1. PeeCee

    PeeCee Guest

    Evening all

    Was asked to install Broadband for a customer.
    Broadband new to the line, with one of the newer Thompson Wireless modem
    routers.
    Speedtest.net was not good at 80Kup/510K down.
    Did the usual checks for filters, router settings, PC settings, no other
    phones on the line etc.
    Only thing I could find that was odd was the Data connect rate reported by
    the modem was 608K up and 608K down.
    The customers plan is 128K up Full down (which is effectively about 4Mb Down
    because of 128K up saturation) so methinks something is not right.
    Only option was to ring the ISP help desk.
    Not unexpectedly no solution was found so the job was escalated to the
    'Advanced' team, ...... end of job.

    OK that's fine but! the next job was also a Broadband job, no connection in
    this case.
    The problem at this customer appeared to be an account authorisation issue &
    await's action by the ISP after talking to their help desk.
    But guess what, the modem (Dlink 502T in this case) reports a data connect
    rate of 608K up / 608K down.
    Same as the last job, to much of a coincidence.
    Tried my trusty old DSE blue box, and got the same 608/608K data connect
    rate.

    Both sites are less than 2500m from the same exchange (Cambridge)
    I''ve never seen a 128K up show a connect rate over 160K so 608 seems a
    rather odd figure.
    Likewise 608K down seems a rather odd figure when I would normally expect
    4-5-6 even 7M connect rate.

    Can anyone offer an explanation for these oddball connect rates?

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Oct 1, 2008

  2. PeeCee

    David Empson Guest

    PeeCee <> wrote:

    > Evening all
    >
    > Was asked to install Broadband for a customer.
    > Broadband new to the line, with one of the newer Thompson Wireless modem
    > routers.
    > Speedtest.net was not good at 80Kup/510K down.
    > Did the usual checks for filters, router settings, PC settings, no other
    > phones on the line etc.
    > Only thing I could find that was odd was the Data connect rate reported by
    > the modem was 608K up and 608K down.
    > The customers plan is 128K up Full down (which is effectively about 4Mb Down
    > because of 128K up saturation) so methinks something is not right.
    > Only option was to ring the ISP help desk.
    > Not unexpectedly no solution was found so the job was escalated to the
    > 'Advanced' team, ...... end of job.
    >
    > OK that's fine but! the next job was also a Broadband job, no connection in
    > this case.
    > The problem at this customer appeared to be an account authorisation issue &
    > await's action by the ISP after talking to their help desk.
    > But guess what, the modem (Dlink 502T in this case) reports a data connect
    > rate of 608K up / 608K down.
    > Same as the last job, to much of a coincidence.
    > Tried my trusty old DSE blue box, and got the same 608/608K data connect
    > rate.
    >
    > Both sites are less than 2500m from the same exchange (Cambridge)
    > I''ve never seen a 128K up show a connect rate over 160K so 608 seems a
    > rather odd figure.

    Sounds suspiciously like the line is configured to operate as SDSL
    (symmetrical) at an actual data rate of about 512 kbps up and down (plus
    overhead).

    Likely to be a configuration error at the exchange, since they are both
    running off the same one. (Could be one faulty or misconfigured card.)
    Sounds like a job for the ISP to take up with Telecom (or whoever).

    We have a TelstraClear business DSL connection at work which has this
    exact speed configuration, but I don't have access to the DSL modem to
    check what line speed it is reporting.

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Oct 1, 2008

  3. PeeCee

    PeeCee Guest

    "David Empson" <> wrote in message
    > PeeCee <> wrote:
    >
    >> Evening all
    >>
    >> Was asked to install Broadband for a customer.
    >> Broadband new to the line, with one of the newer Thompson Wireless modem
    >> routers.
    >> Speedtest.net was not good at 80Kup/510K down.
    >> Did the usual checks for filters, router settings, PC settings, no other
    >> phones on the line etc.
    >> Only thing I could find that was odd was the Data connect rate reported
    >> by
    >> the modem was 608K up and 608K down.
    >> The customers plan is 128K up Full down (which is effectively about 4Mb
    >> Down
    >> because of 128K up saturation) so methinks something is not right.
    >> Only option was to ring the ISP help desk.
    >> Not unexpectedly no solution was found so the job was escalated to the
    >> 'Advanced' team, ...... end of job.
    >>
    >> OK that's fine but! the next job was also a Broadband job, no connection
    >> in
    >> this case.
    >> The problem at this customer appeared to be an account authorisation
    >> issue &
    >> await's action by the ISP after talking to their help desk.
    >> But guess what, the modem (Dlink 502T in this case) reports a data
    >> connect
    >> rate of 608K up / 608K down.
    >> Same as the last job, to much of a coincidence.
    >> Tried my trusty old DSE blue box, and got the same 608/608K data connect
    >> rate.
    >>
    >> Both sites are less than 2500m from the same exchange (Cambridge)
    >> I''ve never seen a 128K up show a connect rate over 160K so 608 seems a
    >> rather odd figure.

    > Sounds suspiciously like the line is configured to operate as SDSL
    > (symmetrical) at an actual data rate of about 512 kbps up and down (plus
    > overhead).
    >
    > Likely to be a configuration error at the exchange, since they are both
    > running off the same one. (Could be one faulty or misconfigured card.)
    > Sounds like a job for the ISP to take up with Telecom (or whoever).
    >
    > We have a TelstraClear business DSL connection at work which has this
    > exact speed configuration, but I don't have access to the DSL modem to
    > check what line speed it is reporting.
    >
    > --
    > David Empson

    Thanks for that David, sounds logical.

    Paul.

    PeeCee, Oct 1, 2008
  4. PeeCee

    PeeCee Guest

    fixed! Re: Explanation wanted for curious Broadband connect rates

    "PeeCee" <> wrote in message
    > Evening all
    >
    > Was asked to install Broadband for a customer.
    > Broadband new to the line, with one of the newer Thompson Wireless modem
    > routers.
    > Speedtest.net was not good at 80Kup/510K down.
    > Did the usual checks for filters, router settings, PC settings, no other
    > phones on the line etc.
    > Only thing I could find that was odd was the Data connect rate reported by
    > the modem was 608K up and 608K down.
    > The customers plan is 128K up Full down (which is effectively about 4Mb
    > Down because of 128K up saturation) so methinks something is not right.
    > Only option was to ring the ISP help desk.
    > Not unexpectedly no solution was found so the job was escalated to the
    > 'Advanced' team, ...... end of job.
    >
    > OK that's fine but! the next job was also a Broadband job, no connection
    > in this case.
    > The problem at this customer appeared to be an account authorisation issue
    > & await's action by the ISP after talking to their help desk.
    > But guess what, the modem (Dlink 502T in this case) reports a data connect
    > rate of 608K up / 608K down.
    > Same as the last job, to much of a coincidence.
    > Tried my trusty old DSE blue box, and got the same 608/608K data connect
    > rate.
    >
    > Both sites are less than 2500m from the same exchange (Cambridge)
    > I''ve never seen a 128K up show a connect rate over 160K so 608 seems a
    > rather odd figure.
    > Likewise 608K down seems a rather odd figure when I would normally expect
    > 4-5-6 even 7M connect rate.
    >
    > Can anyone offer an explanation for these oddball connect rates?
    >
    > Best
    > Paul.

    Apparently a misconfiguration at the exchange, no details given.
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Oct 2, 2008
  5. PeeCee

    Gordon Guest

    Re: fixed! Re: Explanation wanted for curious Broadband connect rates

    On 2008-10-02, PeeCee <> wrote:

    > Apparently a misconfiguration at the exchange, no details given.

    They those who you paid money to fscked up. Really, do you need details?

    Gordon, Oct 3, 2008
  6. Re: fixed! Re: Explanation wanted for curious Broadband connect rates

    On 3 Oct 2008 05:44:21 GMT, Gordon <> wrote in

    > On 2008-10-02, PeeCee <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Apparently a misconfiguration at the exchange, no details given.

    > They those who you paid money to fscked up. Really, do you need details?

    I have the feeling he's got all the details he's gonna get.

    --
    - Nic.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Oct 3, 2008