EXPLANATION for Windows Explorer & MS Office Apps slowdowns today(1/8/04)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Boomer, Jan 8, 2004.

  1. Boomer

    Boomer Guest

    Re: EXPLANATION for Windows Explorer & MS Office Apps slowdowns today (1/8/04)

    Tergiversative <> wrote in

    > The following Slashdot discussion is the only one I have so far as
    > a reference, but there is a real problem -- widely reported in
    > newsgroups, and I've certainly received enough calls about it! --
    > with Explorer and MS Office apps slowing down. This explains the
    > issue:
    >
    > http://slashdot.org/articles/04/01/08/1849245.shtml?tid=126&tid=128
    > &tid=172&tid=95
    >
    > I have found that, for those who can so operate, disabling your
    > network connection actually helps quite a bit. Specific to MS
    > Office apps, disabling NAV's integration will help with startup
    > speed problems until this is resolved.
    >
    > I would imagine, given the millions of people affected by this
    > worldwide today, that it will get resolved fairly quickly.
    >
    > Just thought I'd post it here as there are already a number of
    > people who've posted here about the issue.
    >
    > -- DE

    Thank you! :)

    Tergiversative, Jan 8, 2004

  3. Boomer

    NLWard Guest

    Re: EXPLANATION for Windows Explorer & MS Office Apps slowdowns today (1/8/04)

    Well, thank you, Sir!

    I had wondered why things weren't moving so hot, and was about to blame it
    on a couple of new installations I've done. Thanks again.

    NLWard, Jan 9, 2004
  4. Symantec has now posted a reasonable work-around until this is resolved:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/docid/2004010810205113

    which instructs you to disable the checking for site certificate validity,
    in IE options (Advanced tab.)

    -- DE

    Tergiversative, Jan 9, 2004
  5. Boomer

    LK Guest

    On 1/8/04 8:25 PM, NLWard wrote:

    > Well, thank you, Sir!
    >
    > I had wondered why things weren't moving so hot, and was about to blame it
    > on a couple of new installations I've done. Thanks again.
    >
    > "Tergiversative" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>The following Slashdot discussion is the only one I have so far as a
    >>reference, but there is a real problem -- widely reported in newsgroups,
    >>and I've certainly received enough calls about it! -- with Explorer and MS
    >>Office apps slowing down. This explains the issue:
    >>

    > http://slashdot.org/articles/04/01/08/1849245.shtml?tid=126&tid=128&tid=172&tid=95
    >
    >>I have found that, for those who can so operate, disabling your network
    >>connection actually helps quite a bit. Specific to MS Office apps,
    >>disabling NAV's integration will help with startup speed problems until
    >>this is resolved.
    >>
    >>I would imagine, given the millions of people affected by this worldwide
    >>today, that it will get resolved fairly quickly.
    >>
    >>Just thought I'd post it here as there are already a number of people
    >>who've posted here about the issue.
    >>
    >>-- DE

    SUN Java´s root certificate expires Jan 7th, 2004. Sun recommends
    upgrading or you may have problems with verisign certificates at https
    (secure) sites.

    http://sunsolve.sun.com/pub-cgi/retrieve.pl?doc=fsalert/57436
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/

    LK, Jan 9, 2004