    This should apply to both POP and HTTP based mail.
    Any input appreciated.
    TIA

    Usenet-IS-Fun, Mar 5, 2004

  2. Usenet-IS-Fun

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Usenet-IS-Fun said:

    > Does anyone have any info on expiring E-Mails
    > i.e. The sender can determine the length of time the E-mail remains readable?
    >
    > This should apply to both POP and HTTP based mail.
    > Any input appreciated.
    > TIA

    E-mail "expires" when you delete it.

    Brian H¹©, Mar 5, 2004

  3. "Brian H¹©" <-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
    : Usenet-IS-Fun said:
    :
    : > Does anyone have any info on expiring E-Mails
    : > i.e. The sender can determine the length of time the E-mail remains
    readable?
    : >
    : > This should apply to both POP and HTTP based mail.
    : > Any input appreciated.
    : > TIA
    :
    : E-mail "expires" when you delete it.

    Fabulous input. Very useful.

    Usenet-IS-Fun, Mar 5, 2004
  4. Usenet-IS-Fun

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Usenet-IS-Fun posted ...

    > "Brian H¹©" <-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
    >> Usenet-IS-Fun said:
    >>
    >>> Does anyone have any info on expiring E-Mails
    >>> i.e. The sender can determine the length of time the E-mail remains
    >>> readable?
    >>>
    >>> This should apply to both POP and HTTP based mail.
    >>> Any input appreciated.
    >>> TIA

    >> E-mail "expires" when you delete it.

    > Fabulous input. Very useful.

    But very correct, so yes, you're quite right it is useful input.

    Basically you can't send an email and have it 'expire' in a set time-frame.
    Once an email is on another persons computer it's entirely up to them, or
    other users of that computer, as to how long the email remains intact.

    Dunno about web-based servers though (HTTP) as there may be a limit set by
    the server that the webmail is hosted from, or a limit to the number of
    saveable emails, or a limit to the quantity of data held in email format
    etc etc .. ;).

    --
    Paul

    (8(|) Homer rocks .. ;)

    Paul - xxx, Mar 5, 2004
  5. Usenet-IS-Fun

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Usenet-IS-Fun said:

    > "Brian H¹©" <-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
    >> Usenet-IS-Fun said:
    >>
    >>> Does anyone have any info on expiring E-Mails
    >>> i.e. The sender can determine the length of time the E-mail remains
    >>> readable?
    >>>
    >>> This should apply to both POP and HTTP based mail.
    >>> Any input appreciated.
    >>> TIA

    >> E-mail "expires" when you delete it.

    > Fabulous input. Very useful.

    So what do you expect for an answer?
    A 1,000 word essay just to say what I said in 6 words?

    Brian H¹©, Mar 5, 2004
  6. Usenet-IS-Fun

    L Beck Guest

    "Usenet-IS-Fun" <> wrote in message
    > "Brian H¹©" <-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
    > : Usenet-IS-Fun said:
    > :
    > : > Does anyone have any info on expiring E-Mails
    > : > i.e. The sender can determine the length of time the E-mail remains
    > readable?
    > : >
    > : > This should apply to both POP and HTTP based mail.
    > : > Any input appreciated.
    > : > TIA
    > :
    > : E-mail "expires" when you delete it.
    >
    > Fabulous input. Very useful.

    The receiving server may have a time limit for holding messages not
    downloaded. For many that limit is 14 days. i.e. if they don't download it
    to their computer within that time it disappears. Deleted. Gone. Caput.
    No longer exists.

    L Beck, Mar 5, 2004
  7. Usenet-IS-Fun

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 18:35:40 -0000, "Usenet-IS-Fun" <>
    wrote:

    >Does anyone have any info on expiring E-Mails
    >i.e. The sender can determine the length of time the E-mail remains readable?
    >
    >This should apply to both POP and HTTP based mail.
    >Any input appreciated.

    Plain text e-mail does not expire.
    RTF and HTML e-mails have a shelf life of approximately 800 years.
    E-mail with smiley icons in it goes rancid in the time it takes to
    download it.

    Senders cannot determine the length of time an e-mail remains
    readable. If you were interested in sending something to someone and
    wanted it to only be readable for a certain period of time, you could
    send it as a PDF file attachment and set that PDF attachment to have a
    certain expiry date, or use one of the several methods of setting
    expirations on documents.

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, Mar 6, 2004
  8. Usenet-IS-Fun

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 18:35:40 -0000, Usenet-IS-Fun wrote:

    >Does anyone have any info on expiring E-Mails
    >i.e. The sender can determine the length of time the E-mail remains readable?

    Isn't this a feature of the next version of MS Office software at least
    for documents? Most likely requires Outlook 20xx (both ends) and
    Exchange Server 20xx or the Portal Server and 2003 for the OS.

    It's the rights management feature, it IIRC at least stops forwarding,
    copy and printing again it needs a rights management server.

    A big of Googling???
    http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6270-5078496.html

    nformation Rights Management
    Like Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2003, Outlook 2003 supports Information
    Rights Management (IRM), which works in conjunction with the Windows
    Server 2003 Rights Management Service (RMS) to allow users to limit what
    recipients can do with documents (in this case, e-mail). Using IRM, you
    can specify that messages can be read but not copied, printed, or
    forwarded, or you can set a time limit after which the message will
    expire and no longer to accessible.

    ^^^^^^^^^^^ see last few lines ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    >This should apply to both POP and HTTP based mail.
    >Any input appreciated.

    Write a new email standard and develop the software?

    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc822.html
    RFC 822 - Standard for the format of ARPA Internet text messages

    This standard specifies a syntax for text messages that are
    sent among computer users, within the framework of "electronic
    mail". The standard supersedes the one specified in ARPANET
    Request for Comments #733, "Standard for the Format of ARPA Net-
    work Text Messages".

    Me

    why?, Mar 6, 2004
  9. "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
    :
[...]
    <snip>

    Thanks to why? and Dan Shea useful and interesting information. I didn't think
    e-mail supported this feature but things advance fast these days so thought
    I'd ask the question. The use of pdf or M$ docs sounds like a great idea.
    Thanks

    Usenet-IS-Fun, Mar 6, 2004
  10. Usenet-IS-Fun

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 11:23:56 -0000, "Usenet-IS-Fun" <>
    wrote:

    >Thanks to why? and Dan Shea useful and interesting information. I didn't think
    >e-mail supported this feature but things advance fast these days so thought
    >I'd ask the question. The use of pdf or M$ docs sounds like a great idea.
    >Thanks

    You're welcome.

    Cheers,
    dan