expert help required!

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Steve W, Jul 5, 2004.

  1. Steve W

    Steve W Guest

    I need advice from a MCP regarding a problem I am having
    with establishing a dial up connection. Hopefully, I'm in
    the right newsgroup. If not, perhaps someone would be kind
    enough to redirect me.
    Some background - I have two PCs connected via fast
    Ethernet. I use dial up to connect to the Internet.
    Internet connection sharing is enabled.
    Until recently, I had no problems with the dial up
    connection. Suddenly the connection starting dropping
    every minute or so. This happened on both computers. I
    followed the advice in the Help and Support section but no
    improvement. I also increased the gain on my line. Again,
    no improvement.
    Now, I cannot connect to the internet at all. Modems on
    both computers dial an ISP but do not send any data (I can
    hear them dialling, then silence).
    Voice calls are fine and BT have checked my line and found
    no problems.
    If anyone can suggest a solution I would be very grateful.

    Steve W, Jul 5, 2004

  2. Hi Steve,
    I do a bit of work fixing computers and things, by the sound of your problem it is either down to the ISP or else you have a dodgy modem (or 2). Ive seen it all too often (in the UK) where there has been slight power surges that have come through the phone line (this is a big problem in the rural area where i live) and mess up your modem without the problem being apparent (dialing as normal etc..). If you get a cheap modem (i find that dabs value hardware modems are cheap and work as well as anything else) and try a different pay as you go isp such as freeuk.

    From this you will have spent £12 and most likely diagnose the fault to being either a bad modem or an ISP problem. In my eyes this would be much easier than starting to tell you about settings and everything else that you by the sounds of it havent been fiddling with.

    Get the internet up and working on one machine and then start wondering about the connection sharing, if it is a problem.

    Let me know how you get on..

    Mark

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBbTVNd?=, Jul 5, 2004

  3. Steve W

    Neil Guest

    "Steve W" <> wrote in news:264a001c4625e
    $dc1443e0$:

    > I need advice from a MCP regarding a problem I am having
    > with establishing a dial up connection. Hopefully, I'm in
    > the right newsgroup. If not, perhaps someone would be kind
    > enough to redirect me.
    > Some background - I have two PCs connected via fast
    > Ethernet. I use dial up to connect to the Internet.
    > Internet connection sharing is enabled.
    > Until recently, I had no problems with the dial up
    > connection. Suddenly the connection starting dropping
    > every minute or so. This happened on both computers. I
    > followed the advice in the Help and Support section but no
    > improvement. I also increased the gain on my line. Again,
    > no improvement.
    > Now, I cannot connect to the internet at all. Modems on
    > both computers dial an ISP but do not send any data (I can
    > hear them dialling, then silence).
    > Voice calls are fine and BT have checked my line and found
    > no problems.
    > If anyone can suggest a solution I would be very grateful.

    yes you are in the wrong NG. try the
    microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup group but it sounds like
    you should contact the ISP to see wazzup. Unless you have added something
    to these systems that you are not sharing here (autoupdate, security
    patches,etc.) is likely a change that has occured on thier end.

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Jul 5, 2004
  4. Steve W

    Steve Guest

    Certainly the modems may be at fault - I hadn't thought of
    a power surge through the phone line.
    I've 'queried' the modems and they seem to be working OK
    but will try a new one as you suggest.
    Could the problem be linked to the fact that I've recently
    run Adaware on both PCs? Someone has suggested that
    removing spyware can damage the winsock file. Have you
    encountered this?
    thanks for your time
    Steve W.

    diagnose the fault to being either a bad modem or an ISP
    problem. In my eyes this would be much easier than
    starting to tell you about settings and everything else
    that you by the sounds of it havent been fiddling with.

    Steve, Jul 5, 2004
  5. Steve W

    Neil Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in news:2679601c46293$b4d44020
    $:

    > Certainly the modems may be at fault - I hadn't thought of
    > a power surge through the phone line.
    > I've 'queried' the modems and they seem to be working OK
    > but will try a new one as you suggest.
    > Could the problem be linked to the fact that I've recently
    > run Adaware on both PCs? Someone has suggested that
    > removing spyware can damage the winsock file. Have you
    > encountered this?
    > thanks for your time
    > Steve W.

    check to see what your hosts file looks like...

    try running a system restore (if it's XP) to a point prior to the incident
    occuring...

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Jul 5, 2004
  6. Steve W

    Guest Guest

    >check to see what your hosts file looks like...
    >
    >try running a system restore (if it's XP) to a point

    prior to the incident
    >occuring...

    System restore sucks, its a complete waste

    Guest, Jul 5, 2004
  7. Steve W

    nerd32768 Guest

    > System restore sucks, its a complete waste

    True
    I learned that from experience
    IT DOES NOT WORK
    there went XP on my last computer
    :(

    nerd32768, Jul 5, 2004
  8. Steve W

    Neil Guest

    "nerd32768" <brin{removethis}> wrote in

    >> System restore sucks, its a complete waste

    > True
    > I learned that from experience
    > IT DOES NOT WORK
    > there went XP on my last computer
    :mad:

    interesting...never had a problem with it...

    have used it 2 or 3 times without a hitch...

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Jul 5, 2004
  9. Steve W

    Guest

    seems as though you are not surfing but getting
    connected,see if you can surf by ip address for ex type in
    the ipaddress in the address bar 216.109.127.29 if you are
    able to pass traffic by ip address tcp/ip problem reinstall
    tcp or if your ISP allows telnet open a command prompt and
    type in telnet followed by your ISP name you may receive an
    error connection refused on port 23 this may be due to two
    factors your isp does not allow telnet or you have a
    firewall or software blocking access such as a firewall or
    a worm, virus, trojan.
    The other step you can take is connecto only one computer
    without inetrnet connection sharing thus eliminating a lan
    issue. It could also be the modem is not retraining open
    hyperterminal and query your modem at, ati3 followed by
    atdt and the number to your isp and then enter ati6 and see
    if there is line noise in the results. Line noise will also
    cause problems, or you may have to enter an init string in
    the advanced properties of modems.
    Good Luck.

    , Jul 5, 2004
  10. Steve W

    MikeF Guest

    "Steve W" <> wrote in message
    > I need advice from a MCP regarding a problem I am having
    > with establishing a dial up connection. Hopefully, I'm in
    > the right newsgroup. If not, perhaps someone would be kind
    > enough to redirect me.
    > Some background - I have two PCs connected via fast
    > Ethernet. I use dial up to connect to the Internet.
    > Internet connection sharing is enabled.
    > Until recently, I had no problems with the dial up
    > connection. Suddenly the connection starting dropping
    > every minute or so. This happened on both computers. I
    > followed the advice in the Help and Support section but no
    > improvement. I also increased the gain on my line. Again,
    > no improvement.
    > Now, I cannot connect to the internet at all. Modems on
    > both computers dial an ISP but do not send any data (I can
    > hear them dialling, then silence).
    > Voice calls are fine and BT have checked my line and found
    > no problems.
    > If anyone can suggest a solution I would be very grateful.

    make sure the isp's connect number hasn't changed in DUN. (you probably have
    already)
    dial your isp's connect number from your phone, see if you get a modem
    handshake.
    if you don't, dial your isp's tech support :)
    if you do, connect your phone to the jack with the phone cord that usually
    goes to the computer and try again.
    if you get the handshake, everything is probably working from the phone plug
    that goes into your computer to your isp.
    clean the socket on the modem, clean the plug. open your computer and reseat
    the modem. put the plug back in the modem and try again.
    still nothing? put the modem in a different slot and try again.
    still nada? is it a fax modem? do you have somebody you can fax who will
    tell you if they get the fax? send em a fax. if there is no one, send
    anybody a fax, see if it completes.
    if faxing doesn't work try a modem from a different computer or a new one.

    however, because you say that modems on two computers won't complete the
    connection it's likely the cord or the isp.

    MikeF, Jul 5, 2004
  11. Steve W

    Guest Guest

    you'll find a problem with it, proberly an aplication
    you'll hardly use

    Guest, Jul 6, 2004
  12. Steve W

    Neil Guest

    <> wrote in news:27aae01c46329$0229a870
    $:

    > you'll find a problem with it, proberly an aplication
    > you'll hardly use

    WHAWHAWHA? it will roll back installed apps just like it said it would?
    incredible...

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Jul 6, 2004