experiment

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by neville, Jun 12, 2005.

  1. neville

    neville Guest

    Hope you enjoy trying this.
    Weather fronts

    What you will need:

    a.. A large, clear tank
    b.. Warm and cold water
    c.. Two plastic cups
    d.. Small stones
    Fill the tank with normal water and leave this for a few hours to come to
    room temperature.

    Place a few small pebbles in each of the two cups to act as weights. In one
    of the cups place some hot water and a few drops of red food colouring. Fill
    the other cup with very cold water and add some blue food colouring. Place
    the two cups into the water at the same time, one at either end of the
    tank - the pebbles should hold the cups at the bottom. Carefully watch how
    the two different coloured waters move. You should see that the warmer red
    water should raise to the top, and the cooler blue water should sink to the
    bottom.

    Much of our weather is caused by the interactions of different air masses.
    Warm air (shown by your warm red water) is less dense than cold air (cold
    blue water), so warm air rises and warm air exerts less pressure than cold
    air. As air cools, it becomes denser, so it sinks and also exerts greater
    pressure.

    neville, Jun 12, 2005

  2. neville

    old jon Guest

    Well done Nev. It`s definitely MENSA for you soon. <G>

    old jon, Jun 12, 2005

  3. neville

    John Holmes Guest

    "neville" <> blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Hope you enjoy trying this.
    > Weather fronts
    >
    > What you will need:
    >
    > a.. A large, clear tank
    > b.. Warm and cold water
    > c.. Two plastic cups
    > d.. Small stones
    > Fill the tank with normal water and leave this for a few hours to come
    > to room temperature.
    >
    > Place a few small pebbles in each of the two cups to act as weights.
    > In one of the cups place some hot water and a few drops of red food
    > colouring. Fill the other cup with very cold water and add some blue
    > food colouring. Place the two cups into the water at the same time,
    > one at either end of the tank - the pebbles should hold the cups at
    > the bottom. Carefully watch how the two different coloured waters
    > move. You should see that the warmer red water should raise to the
    > top, and the cooler blue water should sink to the bottom.
    >
    > Much of our weather is caused by the interactions of different air
    > masses. Warm air (shown by your warm red water) is less dense than
    > cold air (cold blue water), so warm air rises and warm air exerts less
    > pressure than cold air. As air cools, it becomes denser, so it sinks
    > and also exerts greater pressure.

    Another experiment:

    Take 3 coffee cups. Fill cup #1 up with hot water. Fill cup #2 with
    icecold water. Fill cup #3 with room-temperature water.

    Now, stick your lefthand pointing finger into cup #1 and your righthand
    pointing finger into cup #2 simultaniously and keep them there for 30
    seconds.

    After the 30 seconds, stick your lefthand pointing finger AND your
    righthand pointing finger simultaniously into cup #3.

    Your lefthand pointing finger will now tell you the water in cup #3 is
    icecold whilst your righhand pointing finger will tell you the water in
    cup #3 is steaming hot.

    I guess that definately means a MENSA account for me.

    --
    Your mother was a dweeby bum who didn't mind taking off her clothes with
    a herd of Wildebeests.

    John Holmes, Jun 12, 2005
  4. neville

    old jon Guest

    "John Holmes" <> wrote in message
    > "neville" <> blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> Hope you enjoy trying this.
    >> Weather fronts
    >>
    >> What you will need:
    >>
    >> a.. A large, clear tank
    >> b.. Warm and cold water
    >> c.. Two plastic cups
    >> d.. Small stones
    >> Fill the tank with normal water and leave this for a few hours to come
    >> to room temperature.
    >>
    >> Place a few small pebbles in each of the two cups to act as weights.
    >> In one of the cups place some hot water and a few drops of red food
    >> colouring. Fill the other cup with very cold water and add some blue
    >> food colouring. Place the two cups into the water at the same time,
    >> one at either end of the tank - the pebbles should hold the cups at
    >> the bottom. Carefully watch how the two different coloured waters
    >> move. You should see that the warmer red water should raise to the
    >> top, and the cooler blue water should sink to the bottom.
    >>
    >> Much of our weather is caused by the interactions of different air
    >> masses. Warm air (shown by your warm red water) is less dense than
    >> cold air (cold blue water), so warm air rises and warm air exerts less
    >> pressure than cold air. As air cools, it becomes denser, so it sinks
    >> and also exerts greater pressure.
    >>

    > Another experiment:
    >
    > Take 3 coffee cups. Fill cup #1 up with hot water. Fill cup #2 with
    > icecold water. Fill cup #3 with room-temperature water.
    >
    > Now, stick your lefthand pointing finger into cup #1 and your righthand
    > pointing finger into cup #2 simultaniously and keep them there for 30
    > seconds.
    >
    > After the 30 seconds, stick your lefthand pointing finger AND your
    > righthand pointing finger simultaniously into cup #3.
    >
    > Your lefthand pointing finger will now tell you the water in cup #3 is
    > icecold whilst your righhand pointing finger will tell you the water in
    > cup #3 is steaming hot.
    >
    > I guess that definately means a MENSA account for me.

    I thought you`d already got yours ?<G>

    old jon, Jun 12, 2005
  5. neville

    John Holmes Guest

    "old jon" <> blabbered in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > "John Holmes" <> wrote in message
    >> "neville" <> blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>
    >>> Hope you enjoy trying this.
    >>> Weather fronts
    >>>
    >>> What you will need:
    >>>
    >>> a.. A large, clear tank
    >>> b.. Warm and cold water
    >>> c.. Two plastic cups
    >>> d.. Small stones
    >>> Fill the tank with normal water and leave this for a few hours to

    come
    >>> to room temperature.
    >>>
    >>> Place a few small pebbles in each of the two cups to act as weights.
    >>> In one of the cups place some hot water and a few drops of red food
    >>> colouring. Fill the other cup with very cold water and add some blue
    >>> food colouring. Place the two cups into the water at the same time,
    >>> one at either end of the tank - the pebbles should hold the cups at
    >>> the bottom. Carefully watch how the two different coloured waters
    >>> move. You should see that the warmer red water should raise to the
    >>> top, and the cooler blue water should sink to the bottom.
    >>>
    >>> Much of our weather is caused by the interactions of different air
    >>> masses. Warm air (shown by your warm red water) is less dense than
    >>> cold air (cold blue water), so warm air rises and warm air exerts

    less
    >>> pressure than cold air. As air cools, it becomes denser, so it sinks
    >>> and also exerts greater pressure.
    >>>

    >> Another experiment:
    >>
    >> Take 3 coffee cups. Fill cup #1 up with hot water. Fill cup #2 with
    >> icecold water. Fill cup #3 with room-temperature water.
    >>
    >> Now, stick your lefthand pointing finger into cup #1 and your

    righthand
    >> pointing finger into cup #2 simultaniously and keep them there for 30
    >> seconds.
    >>
    >> After the 30 seconds, stick your lefthand pointing finger AND your
    >> righthand pointing finger simultaniously into cup #3.
    >>
    >> Your lefthand pointing finger will now tell you the water in cup #3 is
    >> icecold whilst your righhand pointing finger will tell you the water

    in
    >> cup #3 is steaming hot.
    >>
    >> I guess that definately means a MENSA account for me.
    >>

    > I thought you`d already got yours ?<G>

    Hehehehe. Still waiting for confirmation, LOL

    --
    Your mother was a lice-infested harpy who talked incessantly about
    teapots on the roof of her house.

    John Holmes, Jun 12, 2005
  6. old jon gurgled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Well done Nev. It`s definitely MENSA for you soon. <G>
    >
    > "neville" <> wrote in message
    >> Hope you enjoy trying this.

    snip

    Well, I doubt if being able to copy/paste and not attribute the source
    qualifies one for MENSA. Maybe DENSA....

    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/education/einstein_year/experiment3.html

    --

    The Old Sourdough
    In the future, everyone will speak one language,

    The Old Sourdough, Jun 12, 2005
  7. neville

    aleX Guest

    old jon wrote:
    > Well done Nev. It`s definitely MENSA for you soon. <G>

    <rant>
    Only if he can do the experiment within a certain timelimit. Mensa tests
    are, after all, speed tests rather than intelligence tests.
    </rant>

    aleX, Jun 12, 2005
  8. neville

    pcbutts1 Guest

    The site you posted didn't mention the source so what's the difference.

    pcbutts1, Jun 12, 2005
  9. pcbutts1 gurgled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > The site you posted didn't mention the source so what's the
    > difference.

    Because possibly it *is* the source?

    The Old Sourdough, Jun 12, 2005
  10. neville

    neville Guest

    The source is wrong Im afraid sourdough.
    Hard to believe you bothered looking though!
    Did you think....,oh never mind.

    neville, Jun 12, 2005
  11. neville

    fkasner Guest

    neville wrote:
    > Hope you enjoy trying this.
    > Weather fronts
    >
    > What you will need:
    >
    > a.. A large, clear tank
    > b.. Warm and cold water
    > c.. Two plastic cups
    > d.. Small stones
    > Fill the tank with normal water and leave this for a few hours to come to
    > room temperature.
    >
    > Place a few small pebbles in each of the two cups to act as weights. In one
    > of the cups place some hot water and a few drops of red food colouring. Fill
    > the other cup with very cold water and add some blue food colouring. Place
    > the two cups into the water at the same time, one at either end of the
    > tank - the pebbles should hold the cups at the bottom. Carefully watch how
    > the two different coloured waters move. You should see that the warmer red
    > water should raise to the top, and the cooler blue water should sink to the
    > bottom.
    >
    > Much of our weather is caused by the interactions of different air masses.
    > Warm air (shown by your warm red water) is less dense than cold air (cold
    > blue water), so warm air rises and warm air exerts less pressure than cold
    > air. As air cools, it becomes denser, so it sinks and also exerts greater
    > pressure.

    A samll excursion into the details of physics and meteorology along with
    some knowledge of calculus and preferably of the differential equations
    of hydrodynamics will show that this is not the simple system that you
    have claimed it is. It is not simply a thermal system that produces the
    weather changes.
    FK

    fkasner, Jun 12, 2005
  12. neville

    doS Guest

    Thanks, I bought food coloring to throw in the air, it worked!!!

    doS, Jun 13, 2005