Experiences with the Safecom SIP-5000 + alternatives

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Linker3000, Mar 24, 2006.

  1. Linker3000

    Linker3000 Guest

    This is my first forage into VoIP and for no better reason than my usual
    stockist had them in, I purchased 2 x Safecom SIP-5000 phones for a trial.

    I have them kinda working, but outbound calls drop after 32 seconds (it
    doesn't seem NAT related as I have tried the phone in the DMZ and a PDA
    running SJPhone works fine). I am working on this with both Safecom and
    VoIP.co.uk but wondered in general what experiences others may have had
    with this phone.

    Looking at the phone marketplace, the phones seem to be split into two
    bands - around £50-£99 and then £129-£229+ - OK, maybe three bands if
    you add 'and then Cisco'!

    Anyway, if I was not looking at the Safecoms, what are the most reliable
    phones (regarding setup and call stability) in the low-to-mid brackets -
    in this market sector, the following brands seem to crop up a lot:

    Sipura
    Snom
    Aastra
    Zyxel

    I have also been looking at the myphonecall.co.uk Web site and at the
    low end they have 'Grandstream'.

    Also, can you recommend a supplier of either the unlocked PAP2 (PAP2-AN)
    or suggest a good alternative. The PAP2 was for testing but in the real
    world I'd need an ATA that also connects to the PSTN and can handle
    calls from both - incidentally, can ATA's transfer inbound PSTN calls
    through to other phones with VoIP accounts?

    I am sure 'you get what you pay for' applies, but any practical advice
    would be appreciated.

    Thanks very much.

    L3K

    Linker3000, Mar 24, 2006

  2. In article <4423c00b$0$675$>,
    Linker3000 <> writes:
    > This is my first forage into VoIP and for no better reason than my usual
    > stockist had them in, I purchased 2 x Safecom SIP-5000 phones for a trial.

    I've had a Safecom SIP-5000 phone for a couple of months,
    but I haven't been using it as my main phone, just trying
    out it's configuration.

    It's a very nicely made professional quality office phone.
    It supports two VoIP calls, and you can conference them
    together which works well. Only one very slight niggle
    I have with it is you can't reprogram function key 5, which
    is kind of strange given all the other function keys are
    reprogrammable (it has 8 of them). I've also seen a lower
    spec Safecom phone, SIP-3000. It didn't have the function
    keys and possibly not the speakerphone function.
    Both phones support multiple (3 I think) SIP accounts, and
    I think both contain a router and second ethernet port to
    route a computer connection through the phone (the 5000
    certainly does).

    > I have them kinda working, but outbound calls drop after 32 seconds (it
    > doesn't seem NAT related as I have tried the phone in the DMZ and a PDA
    > running SJPhone works fine). I am working on this with both Safecom and
    > VoIP.co.uk but wondered in general what experiences others may have had
    > with this phone.

    I've not had that problem.

    > Looking at the phone marketplace, the phones seem to be split into two
    > bands - around £50-£99 and then £129-£229+ - OK, maybe three bands if
    > you add 'and then Cisco'!

    I paid £59(incl VAT) for the Safecom SIP-5000. It was an
    impulse buy at a computer fair, but I was looking for a VoIP
    phone anyway for a distant part of the family. On reflection,
    the SIP-3000 would have been fine in this case, but I wasn't
    aware of it at the time.

    > Anyway, if I was not looking at the Safecoms, what are the most reliable
    > phones (regarding setup and call stability) in the low-to-mid brackets -
    > in this market sector, the following brands seem to crop up a lot:
    >
    > Sipura
    > Snom
    > Aastra
    > Zyxel

    Mostly I use Sipura SPA-3000's. These work very well.
    I buy them from Gradwell.

    > Also, can you recommend a supplier of either the unlocked PAP2 (PAP2-AN)
    > or suggest a good alternative. The PAP2 was for testing but in the real
    > world I'd need an ATA that also connects to the PSTN and can handle
    > calls from both - incidentally, can ATA's transfer inbound PSTN calls
    > through to other phones with VoIP accounts?

    SPA-3000 should be able to do this, although I don't use it in
    that way. It has some 700 configuration parameters, which makes
    it both very powerful, but also potentially complex to configure.

    --
    Andrew Gabriel

    Andrew Gabriel, Mar 24, 2006

  3. Linker3000

    Linker3000 Guest

    Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    > In article <4423c00b$0$675$>,
    > Linker3000 <> writes:
    >> This is my first forage into VoIP and for no better reason than my usual
    >> stockist had them in, I purchased 2 x Safecom SIP-5000 phones for a trial.

    > I've had a Safecom SIP-5000 phone for a couple of months,
    > but I haven't been using it as my main phone, just trying
    > out it's configuration.
    >
    > It's a very nicely made professional quality office phone.
    > It supports two VoIP calls, and you can conference them
    > together which works well. Only one very slight niggle
    > I have with it is you can't reprogram function key 5, which
    > is kind of strange given all the other function keys are
    > reprogrammable (it has 8 of them). I've also seen a lower
    > spec Safecom phone, SIP-3000. It didn't have the function
    > keys and possibly not the speakerphone function.
    > Both phones support multiple (3 I think) SIP accounts, and
    > I think both contain a router and second ethernet port to
    > route a computer connection through the phone (the 5000
    > certainly does).
    >
    >> I have them kinda working, but outbound calls drop after 32 seconds (it
    >> doesn't seem NAT related as I have tried the phone in the DMZ and a PDA
    >> running SJPhone works fine). I am working on this with both Safecom and
    >> VoIP.co.uk but wondered in general what experiences others may have had
    >> with this phone.

    > I've not had that problem.
    >
    >> Looking at the phone marketplace, the phones seem to be split into two
    >> bands - around £50-£99 and then £129-£229+ - OK, maybe three bands if
    >> you add 'and then Cisco'!

    > I paid £59(incl VAT) for the Safecom SIP-5000. It was an
    > impulse buy at a computer fair, but I was looking for a VoIP
    > phone anyway for a distant part of the family. On reflection,
    > the SIP-3000 would have been fine in this case, but I wasn't
    > aware of it at the time.
    >
    >> Anyway, if I was not looking at the Safecoms, what are the most reliable
    >> phones (regarding setup and call stability) in the low-to-mid brackets -
    >> in this market sector, the following brands seem to crop up a lot:
    >>
    >> Sipura
    >> Snom
    >> Aastra
    >> Zyxel

    > Mostly I use Sipura SPA-3000's. These work very well.
    > I buy them from Gradwell.
    >
    >> Also, can you recommend a supplier of either the unlocked PAP2 (PAP2-AN)
    >> or suggest a good alternative. The PAP2 was for testing but in the real
    >> world I'd need an ATA that also connects to the PSTN and can handle
    >> calls from both - incidentally, can ATA's transfer inbound PSTN calls
    >> through to other phones with VoIP accounts?

    > SPA-3000 should be able to do this, although I don't use it in
    > that way. It has some 700 configuration parameters, which makes
    > it both very powerful, but also potentially complex to configure.

    Thanks Andrew - have you managed to setup a mailbox URI on the SIP-5000?
    If so, what format did you use - every time I key something in and save
    it, it disappears.

    Linker3000, Mar 25, 2006
  4. Linker3000

    Steve B Guest

    Hi there,

    > I have them kinda working, but outbound calls drop after 32 seconds (it
    > doesn't seem NAT related as I have tried the phone in the DMZ and a PDA
    > running SJPhone works fine). I am working on this with both Safecom and
    > VoIP.co.uk but wondered in general what experiences others may have had
    > with this phone.

    We have about 20 of the SIP-5000's installed at two sites in the US and UK.
    We have never had a call dropped. With regard to the mailbox URI, try this.

    Voicemail<sip:*984998>
    4998 being my extension. I notice you mention it "disppears". Are you using
    firefox? If so try IE. I had that problem until I switched browsers.

    Regards,
    Steve

    Steve B, Mar 27, 2006
  5. Linker3000

    Steve B Guest

    Hi there,

    Steve B, Mar 27, 2006
  6. Linker3000

    Linker3000 Guest

    Steve B wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    >> I have them kinda working, but outbound calls drop after 32 seconds (it
    >> doesn't seem NAT related as I have tried the phone in the DMZ and a PDA
    >> running SJPhone works fine). I am working on this with both Safecom and
    >> VoIP.co.uk but wondered in general what experiences others may have had
    >> with this phone.

    > We have about 20 of the SIP-5000's installed at two sites in the US and UK.
    > We have never had a call dropped. With regard to the mailbox URI, try this.
    >
    > Voicemail<sip:*984998>
    > 4998 being my extension. I notice you mention it "disppears". Are you using
    > firefox? If so try IE. I had that problem until I switched browsers.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Steve

    Thanks for that

    L3K

    Linker3000, Mar 29, 2006
  7. Linker3000

    Linker3000 Guest

    Steve B wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    >> I have them kinda working, but outbound calls drop after 32 seconds (it
    >> doesn't seem NAT related as I have tried the phone in the DMZ and a PDA
    >> running SJPhone works fine). I am working on this with both Safecom and
    >> VoIP.co.uk but wondered in general what experiences others may have had
    >> with this phone.

    > We have about 20 of the SIP-5000's installed at two sites in the US and UK.
    > We have never had a call dropped. With regard to the mailbox URI, try this.
    >
    > Voicemail<sip:*984998>
    > 4998 being my extension. I notice you mention it "disppears". Are you using
    > firefox? If so try IE. I had that problem until I switched browsers.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Steve

    Dunno if it's the same with your model, but I've just discovered that to
    enter the mailbox number you have to add it to the address book and then
    select it from there - you cannot type it directly into the mailbox
    address field.

    Linker3000, Mar 29, 2006