    away?

    Thanks.
    Andrew.
    Andrew Hodgson, Sep 23, 2007

  2. Andrew Hodgson

    Graham. Guest

    "Andrew Hodgson" <> wrote in message
    news:6iscf391esj9eqnpldkat4s3neirtvt84j@localhost...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am currently using Skype Pro, for just under £2 per month, I get
    > effectively free calls to the UK. I want to add some hardware to this
    > so that I can use a cordless phone with a good speakerphone, and not
    > be tied to the PC/headset etc.
    >
    > I am looking at either the Philips VOIP830, or the Dualfone cordless
    > phone option, but wonder if there is anything out there - i.e, another
    > service I could use, or something which may last longer if Skype goes
    > away?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Andrew.

    It's refreshing to hear a Skype user wondering what is beyond Skype,
    although I have to admit that Skype is here to stay.

    Most of us here use providers and hardware that use the SIP
    protocol. (Skype uses its own).

    I would advice you not to purchase a VOIP phone, wired
    or wi-fi. Instead, buy an ATA (analogue telephone adapter)
    and use an ordinary DECT phone with the features you desire.

    As for providers, I use VoIPCheap.com for outgoing calls.
    This is a company called Betamax (yes, I know).
    They have many clones all with slightly different pricing structures.
    Other popular providers are www.voip.co.uk and www.sipgate.co.uk

    www.orbtalk.com and www.sipgate.com give you free
    phone numbers for incoming calls. Proper phone numbers
    like 020 or 0161, in fact any area code you wish, none of
    the 056 rubbish that people don't trust.

    You will get all the help you need on this group.

    --
    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Sep 23, 2007

  3. Andrew Hodgson

    here to stay Guest

    On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 17:05:45 +0100, Graham. wrote:

    >It's refreshing to hear a Skype user wondering what is beyond Skype,
    >although I have to admit that Skype is here to stay.

    It's refreshing to hear the SIP brigade admit that there is a life
    beyond SIP.

    >I would advice you not to purchase a VOIP phone, wired
    >or wi-fi. Instead, buy an ATA (analogue telephone adapter)
    >and use an ordinary DECT phone with the features you desire.

    Please list some ATAs which work with Skype.
    here to stay, Sep 24, 2007
  4. Andrew Hodgson

    alexd Guest

    here to stay wrote:

    > On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 17:05:45 +0100, Graham. wrote:

    >>I would advice you not to purchase a VOIP phone, wired
    >>or wi-fi. Instead, buy an ATA (analogue telephone adapter)
    >>and use an ordinary DECT phone with the features you desire.

    > Please list some ATAs which work with Skype.

    You've conveniently snipped the bit where he suggested using said ATA with
    SIP providers, not Skype.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    11:21:40 up 1 day, 1:15, 1 user, load average: 0.02, 0.06, 0.11
    alexd, Sep 24, 2007
  5. Andrew Hodgson

    here to stay Guest

    On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 11:22:52 +0100, alexd wrote:

    >You've conveniently snipped the bit where he suggested using said ATA with
    >SIP providers, not Skype.

    The title of this thread clearly states it is about "Skype" and the OP
    specifically asked a question about connectivity to Skype.

    The responder conveniently tried to turn the thread into a SIP sales
    pitch. If he can't help the OP why did he bother to respond?
    here to stay, Sep 24, 2007
  6. Andrew Hodgson

    alexd Guest

    here to stay wrote:

    > On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 11:22:52 +0100, alexd wrote:
    >
    >>You've conveniently snipped the bit where he suggested using said ATA with
    >>SIP providers, not Skype.

    > The title of this thread clearly states it is about "Skype" and the OP
    > specifically asked a question about connectivity to Skype.
    >
    > The responder conveniently tried to turn the thread into a SIP sales
    > pitch. If he can't help the OP why did he bother to respond?

    How do you know that using SIP won't help the OP?

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    15:03:05 up 1 day, 4:56, 1 user, load average: 0.08, 0.13, 0.11
    alexd, Sep 24, 2007
  7. On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 12:35:58 +0100, here to stay < Þ @ Þ > wrote:

    >On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 11:22:52 +0100, alexd wrote:
    >
    >>You've conveniently snipped the bit where he suggested using said ATA with
    >>SIP providers, not Skype.

    >The title of this thread clearly states it is about "Skype" and the OP
    >specifically asked a question about connectivity to Skype.

    Actually I also was pointing at other providers if they added
    value/longevity to the service. I am using Skype now, but could use
    something else if it was cheaper.

    Andrew.
    Andrew Hodgson, Sep 24, 2007
  8. Andrew Hodgson

    Guest

    >Hi,
    >
    >I am currently using Skype Pro, for just under £2 per month, I get
    >effectively free calls to the UK. I want to add some hardware to this
    >so that I can use a cordless phone with a good speakerphone, and not
    >be tied to the PC/headset etc.

    FWIW I use a motorola bluetooth "mobile phone" headset for outgoing
    calls with Skype, which works very well so long as I've not forgotten
    I'm downloading some large files on another PC.

    It takes a moment or two to set up but once the call has been initiated
    sitting in front of my laptop running skype I am then completely
    handsfree and can use the headset to terminate the call if I choose.

    If I made more than 4 or 5 calls a day and also wanted to receive calls
    without the PC being on all the time, then I would probably look at some
    of the ATA systems.

    --
    Kevin
    , Sep 25, 2007
  9. Andrew Hodgson

    Iain Guest

    Andrew Hodgson wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am currently using Skype Pro, for just under £2 per month, I get
    > effectively free calls to the UK. I want to add some hardware to this
    > so that I can use a cordless phone with a good speakerphone, and not
    > be tied to the PC/headset etc.

    If you are going to invest in hardware, best not to buy into such a
    dead end as Skype.

    Have a look at www.voip.co.uk and see what you get for £2 per month there.
    Iain, Oct 13, 2007
  10. Andrew Hodgson

    Iain Guest

    here to stay wrote:
    > On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 11:22:52 +0100, alexd wrote:
    >
    >> You've conveniently snipped the bit where he suggested using said ATA with
    >> SIP providers, not Skype.

    > The title of this thread clearly states it is about "Skype" and the OP
    > specifically asked a question about connectivity to Skype.
    >
    > The responder conveniently tried to turn the thread into a SIP sales
    > pitch. If he can't help the OP why did he bother to respond?

    Because investing money on Skype hardware is a foolish move, he was
    helping more than you have done.
    Iain, Oct 13, 2007