    that allows me to get my feet wet? I am willing and anxious to learn, but
    sometimes I don't understand the method to get from no knowledge/experience
    to certified.

    Jim, Mar 28, 2006

  2. Jim

    CBIC Guest

    In news:,
    Jim <> embarrassed himself by saying:
    > I guess I am confused, because most of the exam books (Managing and
    > Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Environment, etc.) explain that you
    > are familiar with the Server 2003 environment.
    >
    > How do you get into this field with no experience if the books and
    > tests all recommend you have 6 to 12 months of experience? Is there a
    > beginner class that allows me to get my feet wet? I am willing and
    > anxious to learn, but sometimes I don't understand the method to get
    > from no knowledge/experience to certified.

    The best way to get hands on experience is to setup a small lab at home with
    spare PCs and go through the lab exercises in the book. There's also
    volunteer work.
    --
    aka
    Doom MCNGP #38

    CBIC, Mar 28, 2006

  3. Hi Jim,
    Our Microsoft Official Curriculum (MOC) courses are available through our
    training partners (located around the world) and are focused at that level.
    Another good way to start is to try our eLearning courses that are for the
    MCSA track. The training is self-paced and provides VM environment to do the
    labs and play with multiple servers. If you don't have the hardware at home,
    it is a good solution.

    Andy Ruth
    Microsoft Learning

    rights.

    Andy Ruth [MSFT], Mar 28, 2006
  4. Jim

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    Jim wrote:
    > I guess I am confused, because most of the exam books (Managing and
    > Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Environment, etc.) explain that you are
    > familiar with the Server 2003 environment.
    >
    > How do you get into this field with no experience if the books and tests all
    > recommend you have 6 to 12 months of experience? Is there a beginner class
    > that allows me to get my feet wet? I am willing and anxious to learn, but
    > sometimes I don't understand the method to get from no knowledge/experience
    > to certified.

    aye...!! thats the 'ole catch-22 working there against you.

    the truth is, if you really want to do this stuff, you need to do two
    things:

    #1) forget about making a lot of money doing it (well, it's gonna be
    more than flipping burgers - but you ain't getting rich and driving a
    Ferrerri -- at least not until you become an MCNGP!)

    #2) get with the times. technology and software is changing.
    virtualization is gaining ground. you don't need heaps of hardware and
    heat to setup a test environment.

    http://www.vmware.com/

    MS also make 'em, but VMWare will give you the server and player and you
    can win a coupon for a free ver. of their WS product if you keep on top
    of their mailings and promo announcements.

    learn the VM products. learn to setup the MS products in a VM
    environment. this will prove very useful in future when you get a job -
    most of my test and experimentation is done in VM not real hardware!).
    and of course, learn the materials in the MS training materials. you
    migth also want to read up on traditional networking, you can buy the
    book or read for free online. here one thats pretty okay.
    http://www.tcpipguide.com/.

    you might also want to try to volunteer or bug consultants in your area
    to give you experience for free. i regualrly bring on extra held in
    exchange for experience given on soem of my consutlting jobs.

    RY

    --
    Rowdy Yates, MCNGP Thug #39
    http://www.mcngp.com/

    Rowdy Yates, Mar 28, 2006
  5. Jim

    MitchS Guest

    "Jim" <> wrote in message

    > How do you get into this field with no experience if the books and tests
    > all
    > recommend you have 6 to 12 months of experience? Is there a beginner class
    > that allows me to get my feet wet? I am willing and anxious to learn, but
    > sometimes I don't understand the method to get from no
    > knowledge/experience
    > to certified.

    Volunteer, aprrenticeship/internship, help desk. Classes to get your feet
    wet would include things like A+ and Network+, and perhaps MCP on WinXP or
    MCDST. HTH HAND

    --
    Mitch "yer such a Jameshole" S.

    MitchS, Mar 28, 2006
  6. Jim

    TBone Guest

    And on the eigth day <>
    did cause the electrons to come together and form the following words:

    > How do you get into this field with no experience if the books and
    > tests all recommend you have 6 to 12 months of experience? Is there a
    > beginner class that allows me to get my feet wet? I am willing and
    > anxious to learn, but sometimes I don't understand the method to get
    > from no knowledge/experience to certified.

    MCSE and MCSA are designed to be certifications for experienced IT
    professionals. If you are just starting out then something like the MCDST
    might help you get into an entry level position.

    --
    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL

    TBone, Mar 28, 2006
  7. Jim

    JD Guest

    I started my certs with
    A+ OS
    A+Hardware
    A+Network
    MCDST/MCP
    When it was time to start studying MCSE I downloaded a demo copy of MS 2003
    enterprise and a copy of SBS 2003 and ran them on my PC.I set up a
    small(cheap)network of PCs and just started going thru the courses.

    JD, Mar 29, 2006