    Charlie Self
    "It is when power is wedded to chronic fear that it becomes formidable." Eric
    Hoffer
    Charlie Self, Dec 21, 2004

  2. In article <>, Charlie Self
    <> wrote:

    > I've been checking flash specs--reasonably priced flash units, that is.
    >
    > For my Pentax *istD, my best bet seems to be the Sigma EF500 DG ST. The guide
    > number is high enough for anything I need outside the studio (where I don't
    > bring the studio lights along), it is flexible to a fault, and is low priced
    > (B&H has it for $149.95).
    >
    > I'm about to make a Christmas present to myself, but I'm curious as to what
    > other people might have experienced with the same flash unit. It comes
    > dedicated for just about every major digital SLR, so I hope someone has tried
    > it.

    If it says Sigma on the label, you know there's crap in the box.
    Randall Ainsworth, Dec 21, 2004

  3. Charlie Self

    Eric Gill Guest

    Randall Ainsworth <> wrote in

    > In article <>, Charlie
    > Self <> wrote:
    >
    >> I've been checking flash specs--reasonably priced flash units, that
    >> is.
    >>
    >> For my Pentax *istD, my best bet seems to be the Sigma EF500 DG ST.
    >> The guide number is high enough for anything I need outside the
    >> studio (where I don't bring the studio lights along), it is flexible
    >> to a fault, and is low priced (B&H has it for $149.95).
    >>
    >> I'm about to make a Christmas present to myself, but I'm curious as
    >> to what other people might have experienced with the same flash unit.
    >> It comes dedicated for just about every major digital SLR, so I hope
    >> someone has tried it.

    > If it says Sigma on the label, you know there's crap in the box.

    Yes, you keep saying that. And the good products they put out keeps proving
    you to be dead wrong.

    Charlie, I do not know enough about the Sigma flashes to tell you if they
    are a good Sigma product or a bad Sigma product. However, I believe the
    *istD will drive Auto-TTL flashes just fine, which means you have a very
    nice range of choices from all the major players, such as Sunpack, Metz,
    and Quantum, at any price range you like.

    One thing, though - Pentax's own recommended flash has a basic radio
    control system built in, and only runs about 60USD more. Considering what a
    pocket wizard setup runs, that's something to consider.
    Eric Gill, Dec 21, 2004
  4. "Randall Ainsworth" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, Charlie Self
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I've been checking flash specs--reasonably priced flash units, that is.
    >>
    >> For my Pentax *istD, my best bet seems to be the Sigma EF500 DG ST. The
    >> guide
    >> number is high enough for anything I need outside the studio (where I
    >> don't
    >> bring the studio lights along), it is flexible to a fault, and is low
    >> priced
    >> (B&H has it for $149.95).
    >>
    >> I'm about to make a Christmas present to myself, but I'm curious as to
    >> what
    >> other people might have experienced with the same flash unit. It comes
    >> dedicated for just about every major digital SLR, so I hope someone has
    >> tried
    >> it.

    > If it says Sigma on the label, you know there's crap in the box.

    If it says Randall Ainsworth in the "From" line you know there's crap in the
    message.
    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Dec 21, 2004
  5. There are few absolutes. Something that approaches an absolute is the
    conservation of angular momentum. So far, nothing has ever been observed to
    refute this basic law of physics. People like to state other things in
    absolute terms, but saying so does not mean very much. What it usually
    means is an overheated opinion.

    To repeatedly state that all Sigma products are trash is clearly an
    overheated opinion.
    Charles Schuler, Dec 21, 2004
  6. In article <>, Charles Schuler
    <> wrote:

    > There are few absolutes. Something that approaches an absolute is the
    > conservation of angular momentum. So far, nothing has ever been observed to
    > refute this basic law of physics. People like to state other things in
    > absolute terms, but saying so does not mean very much. What it usually
    > means is an overheated opinion.
    >
    > To repeatedly state that all Sigma products are trash is clearly an
    > overheated opinion.

    Waste your money on them...I don't care. I choose to spend my $$$ more
    wisely.
    Randall Ainsworth, Dec 22, 2004
  7. Charlie Self

    Vlad Gunko Guest

    Hello, Charlie!
    I've just bot Sigma EF-500 DG ST for my Nikon.
    It charges up quickly and it's easy to work with it.
    I found one small shitty moment - camera gives to flash wrong focus length -
    it doesn't take to account crop factor. For my Nikon = 1.5x, so I should
    correct it manually.
    All other I like much!

    Good luck,
    Vlad.