    the one I tried so far. Thanks.
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

    JTJersey, Mar 9, 2005

  2. JTJersey, <>, the rug-headed, no-frills fiend,
    and qualified charlatan who assists women in child birth, inveigled:

    > I have a new Intel mainboard with four SATA controllers and I'd like
    > to use a practically new 200Gig Western Digital hard drive. Does
    > anyone know if the SATA converter kits available actually work? I've
    > had no luck with the one I tried so far. Thanks.

    They work if you have one that works. There may well be several types of
    cheap shit converters which may work if you're lucky. I'm sure you're aware
    of "made in taiwan" and the like.

    If you are having problems and you have one that should work, for example
    the one I have is made by or for Abit, then perhaps you aren't setting the
    jumper on the drive correctly; it should be set as master. For some hard
    drives, IBM was an example, you may need to experiment with the various
    'master' settings.

    If you cannot get the converter to work with that drive then try it with
    another.

    is but a dream within a dream.

    Lord Gazwad of Grantham, Mar 9, 2005