    is cheaper.

    I'm not sure what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    , Aug 16, 2005

  2. JohnO Guest

    > Can someone tell me what kind of experience or qualifications a person
    > would have to have to get a job with the Geek Squad at Best Buy (or a
    > similar type place)?
    >
    > I'm looking for my first real job and something to make a career out of
    > and no one has been able to help me with anything. I'm a high school
    > graduate but I have no training in computers.

    Geek Squad is an excellent goal. These guys (in my experience) are not
    entry-level; they are the cream of the Best Buy tech squad. I've worked with
    several of them on a side project, and they are *Outstanding* technicians.
    Yery personable, too, which is another requirement to get your Geek Squad
    Special Agent badge.

    So in the near term, you want an entry-level job at Best Buy. Go talk to the
    manager at the local store, ask him/her about what it takes. Take notes,
    look and act professional, but first get a haircut and brush your teeth.
    (That's stupid advice, but some people just don't get it, <g>.) The manager
    will remember you, hopefully for the right reasons.

    Do any local colleges offer A+ type courses? This is probably the least
    expensive formal training you can get. Quality varies, so check out all the
    available colleges in your area.

    Good Luck!

    -John O
    JohnO, Aug 16, 2005

  3. Breedo Guest

    If you're going to take any classes at a college (community college or
    university), you might as well go ahead and take several. Instead of just
    taking an A+ prep course, go for a degree of some type. It will show
    commitment to a goal that takes more than a few months. You can get an
    associates degree in two years while gaining experience and knowledge in
    various fields. While you are enrolled as a student, you can also work for
    the tech department(s). Many schools have certain positions that they fill
    only with student techies. While it may not require much from you in terms
    of skill, it gives you an opportunity to gain experience and knowledge from
    the full-time staff.
    Unless you know someone or can demonstrate exceptional computer skills,
    you're going to have a hard time getting your foot in the door right out of
    high school.

    Good luck!
    -Breedo_

    Breedo, Aug 16, 2005
  4. Pat Guest

    wrote:

    > I was actually considering taking an A+ certificate prep course. It
    > costs $1300, is four hours, once a week for two months. It's supposed
    > to teach about maintenance and repairs and prep for the A+ core
    > examination. I know there's another class that did cost about $700 but
    > it looks like the material may be out of date which is why the course
    > is cheaper.
    >
    > I'm not sure what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions?

    I would advise against spending $1,300 for an A+ preperation course.
    Buy Mike Meyer's book and get ahold of some computer equipment to
    practice on (old or new, anything you can find). Most of these places
    require an A+ certification (at minimum). If you can't find anything,
    just bust out the phonebook and call all the local computer service
    centers. A lot of them could use some extra help but don't advertise it
    (from my experience).
    Pat, Aug 16, 2005
  5. Pat Guest

    Thumper wrote:

    > I advise the opposite depending on your experience. $1300 is very
    > reasonable if it is a good course and really teaches you something
    > besides just learning how to pass the test. Passing the test means
    > nothing if you don't have at least some experience and a bunch of REAL
    > knowledge of computers.
    > Thumper

    A $1,300 class isn't going to guarantee that you have any "real
    knowledge" of computers either. IMHO, that's far too much to spend for
    an entry-level certification-prep course.
    Pat, Aug 16, 2005
  6. Guest

    LAst I heard Best Buy required an A+ to get hired, this was pre geek
    squad. Pay was in the $10 an hour range. Not exactly an ideal job.

    I'd like to hear from someone that works in the geek squad and "talk
    shop" What do they use to rid PCs of Spyware and Viruses, and what the
    company line is.

    Best bet to learn about PCs is get as many of them as you can. Buy for
    quanity not quality. 10 AMD k6-500mhz PCs in various states of
    dis-repair is better than 1 new Dell for learning. Check out Goodwill
    in your local area.

    Also don't hang out at Best Buy and try to learn anything. The tech
    manager behind the counter is to busy reading the Corporate Motto to
    talk to you and the sales guys are just dumbasses. Find a local
    builder/repair shop and offer to mop his floors and wash his windows if
    he lets you hang out.
    , Aug 17, 2005