    generally for freight than they use to but this is ridiculous, it's suppose
    to be the freight business that makes the profit from freight delivery, not
    the business using it.
    outofdate, Dec 15, 2005

  2. outofdate

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 15:27:18 +1300, "outofdate" <outofdate@computer>
    exclaimed:

    >Am looking at ordering 4 computer components with the biggest size item been
    >the motherboard and the 2 places I have checked on the net so far charge
    >freight at per item, how long as this practice been in place and how common
    >is it. I think it might just be a case of retailers trying to appear cheaper
    >than another and then making up the for the smaller profits in freight
    >charges. OC Zone want to charge $10.99+gst for the first item and $9.99+gst
    >for each additional item, what a ripoff, this is the sort of practice that
    >makes pricespy fairly ineffective. I knew businesses were charging more
    >generally for freight than they use to but this is ridiculous, it's suppose
    >to be the freight business that makes the profit from freight delivery, not
    >the business using it.

    Yep, welcome to the world of pricespy.

    Everyone buying on price means that service and quality goes out the
    window, and places start hiding the true cost. I got sick of freight
    charges, credit card charges, 2-week delivery timeframes, items all
    arriving directly from distributor's warehouses, all at different
    times, etc.

    Now I buy from a place with no additional charges whatsoever (at
    least, for orders under $100, then $6 an *order*), ships promptly,
    actually carries stuff in stock (rather than operating out of their
    bedroom) and even has an 0800 number that gets answered straight away
    when I do need to ring them.

    Costs me slightly more than buying at the "cheapo" places up north,
    but at least they'll be around next year to honour the warranty, not
    like half of the asian outfits that just point you in the direction of
    the distributor for warranty work, who generally don't want to know.
    Fred Dagg, Dec 15, 2005

  3. outofdate

    steve Guest

    outofdate wrote:

    > I think it might just be a case of retailers trying to
    > appear cheaper than another and then making up the for the smaller profits
    > in freight charges.

    You got it.

    It was this way 12 years ago when I used to mail-order stuff out of the
    then-massive "Computer Shopper".

    DHL and UPS and FEDEX are fine.....if you don't ming paying US$40-US$50 to
    transport an NZ$200 item to your house in 2-3 days.

    I went for vendors who would ship US Mail....US$10....and take up to 2
    weeks.

    MUCH cheaper...and fewer hassles with Customs.

    Noe most vendors wouldn't do it.....but once you factored in the difference
    in shipping costs, the price difference was almost always irrelevant.
    steve, Dec 15, 2005
  4. outofdate

    outofdate Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > outofdate wrote:
    >
    > > I think it might just be a case of retailers trying to
    > > appear cheaper than another and then making up the for the smaller

    profits
    > > in freight charges.

    > You got it.
    >
    > It was this way 12 years ago when I used to mail-order stuff out of the
    > then-massive "Computer Shopper".
    >
    > DHL and UPS and FEDEX are fine.....if you don't ming paying US$40-US$50 to
    > transport an NZ$200 item to your house in 2-3 days.
    >
    > I went for vendors who would ship US Mail....US$10....and take up to 2
    > weeks.
    >
    > MUCH cheaper...and fewer hassles with Customs.
    >

    > Noe most vendors wouldn't do it.....but once you factored in the

    difference
    > in shipping costs, the price difference was almost always irrelevant.

    I'm talking about buying local from places that have stock at hand.
    outofdate, Dec 15, 2005
  5. outofdate

    outofdate Guest

    "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 15:27:18 +1300, "outofdate" <outofdate@computer>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    > >Am looking at ordering 4 computer components with the biggest size item

    been
    > >the motherboard and the 2 places I have checked on the net so far charge
    > >freight at per item, how long as this practice been in place and how

    common
    > >is it. I think it might just be a case of retailers trying to appear

    cheaper
    > >than another and then making up the for the smaller profits in freight
    > >charges. OC Zone want to charge $10.99+gst for the first item and

    $9.99+gst
    > >for each additional item, what a ripoff, this is the sort of practice

    that
    > >makes pricespy fairly ineffective. I knew businesses were charging more
    > >generally for freight than they use to but this is ridiculous, it's

    suppose
    > >to be the freight business that makes the profit from freight delivery,

    not
    > >the business using it.
    > >

    > Yep, welcome to the world of pricespy.
    >
    > Everyone buying on price means that service and quality goes out the
    > window, and places start hiding the true cost. I got sick of freight
    > charges, credit card charges, 2-week delivery timeframes, items all
    > arriving directly from distributor's warehouses, all at different
    > times, etc.
    >
    > Now I buy from a place with no additional charges whatsoever (at
    > least, for orders under $100, then $6 an *order*), ships promptly,
    > actually carries stuff in stock (rather than operating out of their
    > bedroom) and even has an 0800 number that gets answered straight away
    > when I do need to ring them.
    >
    > Costs me slightly more than buying at the "cheapo" places up north,
    > but at least they'll be around next year to honour the warranty, not
    > like half of the asian outfits that just point you in the direction of
    > the distributor for warranty work, who generally don't want to know.

    Agree with all that.
    outofdate, Dec 15, 2005
  6. outofdate wrote:
    > Am looking at ordering 4 computer components with the biggest size item been
    > the motherboard and the 2 places I have checked on the net so far charge
    > freight at per item, how long as this practice been in place and how common
    > is it. I think it might just be a case of retailers trying to appear cheaper
    > than another and then making up the for the smaller profits in freight
    > charges. OC Zone want to charge $10.99+gst for the first item and $9.99+gst
    > for each additional item, what a ripoff, this is the sort of practice that
    > makes pricespy fairly ineffective. I knew businesses were charging more
    > generally for freight than they use to but this is ridiculous, it's suppose
    > to be the freight business that makes the profit from freight delivery, not
    > the business using it.

    I am in no way associated with either, but if you want a good mix
    between price and support, I can recommend both Aquilatech and PC Wise.

    Both Mike (Aquilatech) and Keven (PCWise) have provided excellent
    service and been willing to handle issues with their suppliers.

    My personal preference is to deal with PB Technologies in Penrose,
    particularly when purchasing products where problems are likely, or not
    worth having shipped. They won't always match the price of online
    stores, particularly since the prices on Pricespy aren't always the true
    cost, or even available, but they do come close, and the item is usually
    there for you to take with you.

    The Other Guy
    The Other Guy, Dec 15, 2005
  7. outofdate

    outofdate Guest

    "The Other Guy" <> wrote in message
    > outofdate wrote:
    > > Am looking at ordering 4 computer components with the biggest size item

    been
    > > the motherboard and the 2 places I have checked on the net so far charge
    > > freight at per item, how long as this practice been in place and how

    common
    > > is it. I think it might just be a case of retailers trying to appear

    cheaper
    > > than another and then making up the for the smaller profits in freight
    > > charges. OC Zone want to charge $10.99+gst for the first item and

    $9.99+gst
    > > for each additional item, what a ripoff, this is the sort of practice

    that
    > > makes pricespy fairly ineffective. I knew businesses were charging more
    > > generally for freight than they use to but this is ridiculous, it's

    suppose
    > > to be the freight business that makes the profit from freight delivery,

    not
    > > the business using it.

    > I am in no way associated with either, but if you want a good mix
    > between price and support, I can recommend both Aquilatech and PC Wise.
    >
    > Both Mike (Aquilatech) and Keven (PCWise) have provided excellent
    > service and been willing to handle issues with their suppliers.
    >
    > My personal preference is to deal with PB Technologies in Penrose,
    > particularly when purchasing products where problems are likely, or not
    > worth having shipped. They won't always match the price of online
    > stores, particularly since the prices on Pricespy aren't always the true
    > cost, or even available, but they do come close, and the item is usually
    > there for you to take with you.
    >
    > The Other Guy

    Thanks, if I lived near Penrose I would definitely check them out. I
    normally buy from ascent technology as there are no hidden costs and service
    and support are excellent, freight is included in the cost of the item so no
    hassles there. This time around though I am on a very tight budget, I'm
    trying to fit a square peg in a round hole really as the normal cost of the
    items lies outside of my budget. It's definitely not worth it to deal with
    the fly by nighters operations, i will take a look at the other retailers
    you mention, maybe I can find a good compromise like you say, otherwise i
    will just have to flag it for now.
    outofdate, Dec 15, 2005
  8. outofdate

    steve Guest

    outofdate wrote:

    > I'm talking about buying local from places that have stock at hand.

    But it's an old trick.....so I wouldn't expect local vendors to be any
    different.
    steve, Dec 15, 2005
  9. outofdate

    ~misfit~ Guest

    steve wrote:
    > outofdate wrote:
    >
    >> I'm talking about buying local from places that have stock at hand.

    > Then you should havew said so. :)
    >
    > But it's an old trick.....so I wouldn't expect local vendors to be any
    > different.

    I pretty much always buy from one of either OEM, E-One (both Manukau) or QMB
    (Royal Oak and Mt Roskill) in person. The websites concerned all state
    availablility and I call ahead. Only been caught out once with QMB when they
    said on the phone that they had stock but when I got there, 3 hours later
    (on a Saturday), they'd sold out. It *was* a promotion though, a very cheap
    deal.

    I've adaopted this way of buying ever since I had dramas with Tuaranga
    Computers, advertising stock they didn't have, I paid by bank transfer, they
    couldn't supply, and their suppliers couldn't supply, the item (as it was
    discontinued) then they tried to up-sell and when I asked for a refund I was
    told that it had to be by cheque (2 days in the mail, then a week to clear).
    As it had already been a week since I ordered I was stymied. The build was
    for someone else and I'd told them it would be ready in a week,
    stress-tested and ready to go. (Going by previous experience, albeit not
    with Tuaranga Computers). I ended up having to use the pittance that I was
    getting for assembling and warranteeing the PC to pay for the upgrade to the
    next graphics card.

    I checked their site a week later and they still had the item listed as
    available, with the site claiming to be updated daily. The item was also
    listed on Pricespy. I contacted the guy on Pricespy and told him the story.
    A week later he emailed me back and said TC had told him it was only
    temporarilly out of stock (Bullshit as it was discontinued and nobody else
    in the country could get one, hence dealing with TC in the first place).

    The upshot was, TC *and* Pricespy continued to list it for several months
    after that. Maybe longer as I gave up looking. I no longer go to Pricespy's
    page.

    The drama with TC actually was a lot worse than described above. when I
    agreed to an upgrade and credited them more money they ended up sending me
    the wrong card (lesser specced) and it had obviously been opened (returned?)
    with accessories missing from the box. When I made my umpteenth toll-call to
    them they initially insisted that they wouldn't send out a replacement until
    they'd got the POS back that they'd sent me. In the end, after threatening
    with CGA etc we both couriered on the same day. The kicker? I had to pay yet
    more to go up another model as now they didn't have another of my first
    'upgrade' available. I lost money building that PC for a friend. He covered
    the extra cost, above and beyond my small "profit" that was actually
    pre-payment for OS reinstalls etc. (that I inevitably have to do, and have
    done on that machine). However, I was still stuck with a toll bill and
    courier fees.

    Needless to say, there will be an ice-skating competition in hell long
    before I ever buy from TC again.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Dec 16, 2005
  10. outofdate

    Shane Guest

    On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 13:30:24 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Needless to say, there will be an ice-skating competition in hell long
    > before I ever buy from TC again.

    Ive been into their store twice asking after parts on their site, only to
    be told prices were for 'web sales only' or they were out of stock
    Generally TC has a bad reputation amongst the locals, and have only
    existed this long as they are cheap

    /me should have complained to pricespy as well

    --
    In Blythe, California, a city ordinance declares that a person must own
    at least two cows before he can wear cowboy boots in public.
    Shane, Dec 16, 2005
  11. outofdate

    XP Guest

    On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 16:07:56 +1300, Fred Dagg <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 15:27:18 +1300, "outofdate" <outofdate@computer>
    >exclaimed:
    >
    >>Am looking at ordering 4 computer components with the biggest size item been
    >>the motherboard and the 2 places I have checked on the net so far charge
    >>freight at per item, how long as this practice been in place and how common
    >>is it. I think it might just be a case of retailers trying to appear cheaper
    >>than another and then making up the for the smaller profits in freight
    >>charges. OC Zone want to charge $10.99+gst for the first item and $9.99+gst
    >>for each additional item, what a ripoff, this is the sort of practice that
    >>makes pricespy fairly ineffective. I knew businesses were charging more
    >>generally for freight than they use to but this is ridiculous, it's suppose
    >>to be the freight business that makes the profit from freight delivery, not
    >>the business using it.
    >>

    >Yep, welcome to the world of pricespy.
    >
    >Everyone buying on price means that service and quality goes out the
    >window, and places start hiding the true cost. I got sick of freight
    >charges, credit card charges, 2-week delivery timeframes, items all
    >arriving directly from distributor's warehouses, all at different
    >times, etc.
    >
    >Now I buy from a place with no additional charges whatsoever (at
    >least, for orders under $100, then $6 an *order*), ships promptly,
    >actually carries stuff in stock (rather than operating out of their
    >bedroom) and even has an 0800 number that gets answered straight away
    >when I do need to ring them.
    >
    >Costs me slightly more than buying at the "cheapo" places up north,
    >but at least they'll be around next year to honour the warranty, not
    >like half of the asian outfits that just point you in the direction of
    >the distributor for warranty work, who generally don't want to know.

    Try Ascent..
    XP, Dec 17, 2005
  12. outofdate

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 00:08:47 +1300, XP <> exclaimed:

    >>Now I buy from a place with no additional charges whatsoever (at
    >>least, for orders under $100, then $6 an *order*), ships promptly,
    >>actually carries stuff in stock (rather than operating out of their
    >>bedroom) and even has an 0800 number that gets answered straight away
    >>when I do need to ring them.
    >>
    >>Costs me slightly more than buying at the "cheapo" places up north,
    >>but at least they'll be around next year to honour the warranty, not
    >>like half of the asian outfits that just point you in the direction of
    >>the distributor for warranty work, who generally don't want to know.

    >Try Ascent..

    Why would I want to try Ascent?

    I'm perfectly with the outfit I currently use.
    Fred Dagg, Dec 17, 2005
  13. outofdate

    MarkH Guest

    "outofdate" <outofdate@computer> wrote in news::

    > Am looking at ordering 4 computer components with the biggest size
    > item been the motherboard and the 2 places I have checked on the net
    > so far charge freight at per item, how long as this practice been in
    > place and how common is it. I think it might just be a case of
    > retailers trying to appear cheaper than another and then making up the
    > for the smaller profits in freight charges. OC Zone want to charge
    > $10.99+gst for the first item and $9.99+gst for each additional item,
    > what a ripoff, this is the sort of practice that makes pricespy fairly
    > ineffective. I knew businesses were charging more generally for
    > freight than they use to but this is ridiculous, it's suppose to be
    > the freight business that makes the profit from freight delivery, not
    > the business using it.

    Lesson 1 - Always check extra costs like P&P and whether there is an extra
    charge for using a credit card.

    Lesson 2 - Expect a company that is cheaper than anyone else to be selling
    at a very low profit margin - this means that they cannot afford to cover
    the credit card charge out of the margin on the goods. They will also be
    tempted to make a few bucks out of the P&P charge.

    Lesson 3 - Any company that makes almost nothing on each item it sells will
    be only interested in the selling of those goods, there is not enough
    profit in their business to pay for a good service and support team. You
    can usually expect to be supplied with the goods, but you can't expect much
    more.

    The solution?
    Don't buy purely on price, there are plenty of companies that will sell at
    a fair price and offer a good service. The other companies might be a
    little cheaper, but with no service and inflated P&P charges - when you
    deal with them you can lose more than you gain.

    For me, I will stick to buying from a nearby store (PBTech in Penrose,
    Auckland) that has a good range and reasonable prices. Chasing a bargain
    that only works out a few dollars cheaper, but with poor service is not
    worth while - and is not a good productive use of my time. I don't pay for
    freight (because I visit in person) and I don't get charged a fee for using
    a credit card.

    Pricespy can be used to find out if your local store is reasonably priced
    or not, but shouldn't be used as the sole criteria of where to buy from.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Dec 17, 2005
  14. outofdate

    MarkH Guest

    Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote in

    > On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 13:30:24 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Needless to say, there will be an ice-skating competition in hell long
    >> before I ever buy from TC again.

    > Ive been into their store twice asking after parts on their site, only to
    > be told prices were for 'web sales only' or they were out of stock
    > Generally TC has a bad reputation amongst the locals, and have only
    > existed this long as they are cheap

    'Web sales only' means that if they can't claw back some profit with their
    freight charges they don't want to make the sale.

    BTW
    Did the website state that the prices only applied when purchasing over the
    internet? If not then they were breaking the law by advertising one price
    then refusing to sell at that price.

    If you check out the prices on the DSE website you will find them to be the
    same as in their stores. The same goes for PBTech and any other reputable
    dealer.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Dec 17, 2005
  15. outofdate

    MarkH Guest

    The Other Guy <> wrote in news::

    > My personal preference is to deal with PB Technologies in Penrose,
    > particularly when purchasing products where problems are likely, or
    > not worth having shipped. They won't always match the price of online
    > stores, particularly since the prices on Pricespy aren't always the
    > true cost, or even available, but they do come close, and the item is
    > usually there for you to take with you.

    This is also my experience with PBTech. I live in Onehunga currently (was
    Mt Wellington last year), so PBTech is nearby. On most items their prices
    are pretty fair and it is unlikely that you would save much by buying
    elsewhere; the savings that you might make elsewhere are probably not worth
    the hassles and poor service that you could face.

    QMB in Royal Oak is actually closer to me than PBTech, but QMB only has a
    small shop with limited stock so I can't be bothered going there to find
    they don't have what I want and I then have to drive the other direction to
    PBTech anyway.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade