    [​IMG][​IMG]

    bigal, Oct 17, 2005

  2. bigal

    Silverstrand

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2005
    Messages:
    1,949
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    Nice idea, yet is it possible to make them flush?

    Silverstrand, Oct 17, 2005

  3. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Anything's possible....

    Well, I would have to lengthen the mounting holes that are used to screw the drive to the carrier. This particular unit isn't complete yet, as I just got the front opening cut (rough cut) before slapping the cover on and calling it a day (er...night). I want some type of lighting effect too - maybe with EL wire again to keep the theme going with the other two external cases underneath the 15" monitor. I am putting this drive into the enclosure because it will become my 2nd optical drive, and now I'll have a CD/RW/DVD-ROM drive and a DVD/RW/Dual layer drive. The other external case could become several things, like another external hard drive (which I don't need), a flash media reader (I have one in the side of the X-Terminal chassis, but it's hard to reach conveniently so this makes sense), or some type of system monitor / LCD display (like a Matrix Orbital LCD perhaps?). I have to be careful what I chose to use, as this system uses Windows XP 64-bit (the beta version), and drivers may not be available for some devices I wish to add. :shock:

    bigal, Oct 17, 2005
  4. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    u can buy the proper version of x64 now days.
    I say either a LCD or a Advanced Fan/Light Box.

    unholy, Oct 18, 2005
  5. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    But they cost money...

    ...I'll have to buy the new 64-bit version soon because the beta is only good for a year. I might just go back to the 32-bit version though, as I still can't get a wireless USB solution that has working drivers in the 64-bit OS. It's so frusturating to be stopped by a lack of drivers....
    Anyway, the LCD or other type of information display sounds good. Only money.....which I can't spend much of right now because last Sunday I went to the computer show and bought another Geforce 6800 GT (BFG OC this time) for $295 US. Now my printer-to-computer-deja-vu machine has two Geforce 6800 GT's in there, and the ATI 9800 Pro has been moved to that machine I recently upgraded to the Athlon XP 2500+ (it's old CPU is what XhArD received). That machine had the 9600 Pro that I used in the Vcool review.....it's a long and winding road! :stickyma:

    bigal, Oct 18, 2005
  6. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    If ur really trying to get 64 bit for a media/workstation, get 2 gig and download Longhorn. It supports 64bit/32Bit Drivers in the same interface as WinXP Pro 32bit, and 64 Bit as in the x64 Windows XP. Though the added bonus is .net drivers.
    [quoteAnyway, the LCD or other type of information display sounds good. Only money.....which I can't spend much of right now because last Sunday I went to the computer show and bought another Geforce 6800 GT (BFG OC this time) for $295 US. Now my printer-to-computer-deja-vu machine has two Geforce 6800 GT's in there, and the ATI 9800 Pro has been moved to that machine I recently upgraded to the Athlon XP 2500+ (it's old CPU is what XhArD received). That machine had the 9600 Pro that I used in the Vcool review.....it's a long and winding road! :stickyma:[/quote]
    I still think u should get a 5" LCD and or a Fan/Light Controller. so u can control the Light with a fader. and wether or not they are powered.
    then u could make ur own Fan Controller Connection (just use a DSUB, and connect it through the back (for easy Connection)

    unholy, Oct 18, 2005
  7. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Longhorn? Dude, come to the second half of 2005, it's Vista now and the Beta isn't even ready, won't be until at least December. Longhorn would be a problem in a lot of ways, the most obvious being, there's ZERO support for it (Drivers and so forth), it's just a shell of an OS, not really very functional. I've seen the pre-beta of Vista, it looks like it's gonna kick butt but I'd love to see an OS that works like this program called 3DNA. http://www.3dna.net/
    Check that out, download the demo of it, it's Sweet!

    The Modfather, Oct 19, 2005
  8. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    i didn't like 3dna.
    Longhorn (i hate the name vista) beta is very sluggish even with 2gb of ram. there are small amount of drivers, if i can remember rightly ATi and nVidia have got beta drivers out for their vcards. and chipsets too.

    unholy, Oct 19, 2005
  9. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    On a far away plane....there is vista....

    Forget Microsoft beta releases. If the drivers aren't available, you end up buying hardware that does have some support in the OS. I want a 64-bit OS that works out of the box.
    That 3dna link is dead, or at least I couldn't wait longer than a minute for some type of response. What's it all about?
    Last but not least, the Sun X-Terminal Mod has a Cooler Master Aerogate I fan controller built into the side of the chassis. It also has a flash media / floppy drive, and the cold cathode controller built into the chassis. That's one reason for not building a fan controller into the external drive chassis. I am considering a 16-in-1 flash media panel however, as it's awkward for me to reach the current flash media drive in the chassis on the wall because I can't see it directly. It takes a few seconds to insert the SD card into the slot. :eek:

    bigal, Oct 19, 2005
  10. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    3DNA is sort of a 3D virtual enviornment desktop replacement. You walk around a house (in the free version) and programs are stored in book cases, on a kiosk, wherever. It's interesting, taken to the next logical level it'd be really cool. Vista isn't quite on that level but it does have some pluses going for it. I'll almost definatly switch when it's available. As for using Longhorn, which isn't even an OS, it's the skeleton of an alpha of an OS that's not even fully in beta yet, forget that.

    The Modfather, Oct 20, 2005
  11. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    Longhorn really aint a "Gamers" OS its not even for programmers. its for everyday ppl who listen to music, share photos and picture. so its a Home Users OS.

    unholy, Oct 20, 2005
  12. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Un, sometimes you amaze me. Longhorn isn't ANY KIND of OS, it's a pre-alpha of an OS that doesn't even exist in Beta form yet. Longhorn was the working name for Windows Vista which will not be released until the fourth quarter of 2006. If you're using it, yer goofy.

    The Modfather, Oct 20, 2005
  13. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    nah its really laggy, i got a beta version from msdn :p

    unholy, Oct 20, 2005
  14. bigal

    Gez

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2005
    Messages:
    218
    why would you even want to use something that M$ calls "beta" or "alpha" when their "Release" works like crap anyway

    Gez, Oct 20, 2005
  15. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Good point...

    ...using Microsoft beta software is like borrowing your son's car for a trip to the grocery store. Your not sure that you'll make it to the destination, and there is no guarantee you are coming back in one piece.
    Just an emotional update: I feel real bad today. I am running a 101 degree temperature, hotter than my case! I left work early, and I figure I have the flu. I expect to take tomorrow (Friday) off too, and I don't even have the energy to play Quake IV that I picked up last night. I also got Serious Sam 2. Both are excellent games, but you must be healthy to appreciate them. :sleep:

    bigal, Oct 21, 2005
  16. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    true, u need to rest Al, so u dont damage ur mind. otherwise say bye bye to your sweet mods. Getta betta soonz.
    Good point but the First release of x64 beta worked well :p

    unholy, Oct 21, 2005
  17. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Quake IV came out? Damn, Q4, Fear and SS2 all in one week and I have to be freakin' broke! This sucks!
    Anyway, sorry yer not feeling well, but you've got some sweet gaming to look forward to when you feel better, so get well dude!

    The Modfather, Oct 21, 2005
  18. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Thanks...

    My fever is gone, as the head temp is close to normal now. I still feel bad though - all my joints ache and the only thing I've eaten in the last 24 hours has been noodle soup. I am definately staying home from work today. :cry:

    bigal, Oct 21, 2005
  19. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    well if u went to school, u would be Saying WHOAH no school today. But then again hope ya feeling betta so u can play ur new games :D

    unholy, Oct 22, 2005
  20. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I'm feeling....

    ....better this morning. My fever went down yesterday, and it appears normal now. I still slept the whole morning away, waking up at 1PM. Today we have some things to do, like dropping off the cats for teeth cleaning, some shopping, and then attending a Chinese dance event at the Kennedy Center (in Washington DC) tonight. Good thing I'm feeling better. :lol:

    bigal, Oct 22, 2005