Expanding HD On NT 4.0 - Help!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by chino2, Aug 3, 2003.

  1. chino2

    chino2 Guest

    Hi-

    First of all, thanks in advance to anyone who responds to this thread, your
    assistance is definitely much appreciated.

    I am looking for suggestions to the following question/s:

    I am involved in a project which seeks to do the following:

    Take 27 Dell Optiplex machines & mirror over their existing 6 gig hd's, with
    2 gigs of that commited to an NT 4.0 OS, onto new 30 gig hard drives.

    We have decide to partition/allocate approx 8 gigs to the OS while
    maintaining the 32 fat? system, and using the balance as an ntfs system
    which contains the original 4 gigs of c: drive data.

    Is this the way to go?

    Meaning, do we need to partition at all?

    Can't5 we just mirror over the 6 gigs and then convert the whole enchilada
    to an nfts?

    Trust that we don't have much experience but we do have the job & are
    definitelty in need of help!

    Another way of viewing this question may be, what would you do?

    keeping in mind that we MUST keep the existing 4.0 nt OS, which lives on a
    2 gig partition and that the machines each were used with multiple user
    profiles.

    How can we best mirror what we have to a new 30 gig drive and have new
    programs write to c drive by default?

    Please keep in mind that we want to set these up so that they can be easily
    upgraded to windows 2000 in the future and that we are looking to avoid
    having the users specify where to write new software to .. we are concerned
    that they will simply say yes to every question .. has to be c drive by
    default .. thanks ..

    chino2, Aug 3, 2003

  2. chino2

    Stigmus Guest

    I don't know how to help you but I DO recommend you back that data up before
    you attempt the migration.

    --Stigmus

    Stigmus, Aug 3, 2003

  3. chino2

    GHalleck Guest

    chino2 wrote:

    > Hi-
    >
    > First of all, thanks in advance to anyone who responds to this thread, your
    > assistance is definitely much appreciated.
    >
    > I am looking for suggestions to the following question/s:
    >
    > I am involved in a project which seeks to do the following:
    >
    > Take 27 Dell Optiplex machines & mirror over their existing 6 gig hd's, with
    > 2 gigs of that commited to an NT 4.0 OS, onto new 30 gig hard drives.
    >
    > We have decide to partition/allocate approx 8 gigs to the OS while
    > maintaining the 32 fat? system, and using the balance as an ntfs system
    > which contains the original 4 gigs of c: drive data.
    >
    > Is this the way to go?
    >
    > Meaning, do we need to partition at all?
    >
    > Can't5 we just mirror over the 6 gigs and then convert the whole enchilada
    > to an nfts?
    >
    > Trust that we don't have much experience but we do have the job & are
    > definitelty in need of help!
    >
    > Another way of viewing this question may be, what would you do?
    >
    > keeping in mind that we MUST keep the existing 4.0 nt OS, which lives on a
    > 2 gig partition and that the machines each were used with multiple user
    > profiles.
    >
    > How can we best mirror what we have to a new 30 gig drive and have new
    > programs write to c drive by default?
    >
    > Please keep in mind that we want to set these up so that they can be easily
    > upgraded to windows 2000 in the future and that we are looking to avoid
    > having the users specify where to write new software to .. we are concerned
    > that they will simply say yes to every question .. has to be c drive by
    > default .. thanks ..

    Go hire a Systems Administrator/Consultant for this project. First, Windows
    NT will run on partitions formatted for either FAT16 or NTFS. As upgrade
    or conversion to Windows 2000 is planned, NTFS would be the better of
    the 2, noting that there is a limitation of the NT boot partition to 7.8 GB. And
    second, just what form is the current Windows NT 4.0 OS in these systems,
    i.e., in FAT or NTFS; the answer will decide whether or not to do a clean
    install of the first machine that will be providing the image file. Finally, as a
    systems administrator, are you a wimp or a leader? Better be the latter in a
    IS job or the users will drive you to an early retirement.

    GHalleck, Aug 3, 2003
  4. chino2

    chino2 Guest

    Thanks for all of your responses .. the current 6 gig HD is a FAT system ..
    certainly not ntfs .. theoretically .. if the OS is placed on a seperate
    bootable partition .. & the 4 gigs of data on a seperate much larger
    partition .. whether everything is converted entirely to ntfs .. which is
    clearly the way to go .. how can one set this up so that new programs are
    written to C: drive & that this drive be obviously the data drive consisting
    of 20 odd gigs or so?

    Essentially, the question is whether this is all doable .. & if so how?

    BTW- I am essentially advising the person doing the job ..
    also .. can anyone provide links to websites which might prove helpful? ..
    thanks .. chino2 ..

    chino2, Aug 3, 2003