Expanding Explorer

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Feb 13, 2006.

  1. John

    John Guest

    You know when you open too many explorer windows as well as other
    programs and sometimes the explorer windows all condense to be under
    one tab at the bottom of your display in the taskbar area?

    If I close enough programs, or even expand the taskbar further upwards
    so I can have more programs open and more explorer windows visible,
    how do I then expand all those explorer windows that have been grouped
    under one tab?

    I hope you know what I am going on about I've tried to explain it as
    best I can.

    At the moment when I left click it I can select which web page to go
    into. When I right click it I get options like Cascade, Tile
    Horizontally, Vertically, Minimize, Close Group etc. I currently have
    10 explorer windows under one group/tab that I want to be under their
    own tabs in the taskbar again.

    How do I do it? Is it even possible to? It's a real pain in the ass
    when it does this.

    John

    John, Feb 13, 2006

  2. John

    Tee Jay Guest

    John wrote:
    > You know when you open too many explorer windows as well as other
    > programs and sometimes the explorer windows all condense to be under
    > one tab at the bottom of your display in the taskbar area?
    >
    > If I close enough programs, or even expand the taskbar further upwards
    > so I can have more programs open and more explorer windows visible,
    > how do I then expand all those explorer windows that have been grouped
    > under one tab?
    >
    > I hope you know what I am going on about I've tried to explain it as
    > best I can.
    >
    > At the moment when I left click it I can select which web page to go
    > into. When I right click it I get options like Cascade, Tile
    > Horizontally, Vertically, Minimize, Close Group etc. I currently have
    > 10 explorer windows under one group/tab that I want to be under their
    > own tabs in the taskbar again.
    >
    > How do I do it? Is it even possible to? It's a real pain in the ass
    > when it does this.
    >
    > John

    Right click taskbar/Properties/take check out of "Group Similar Taskbar
    Buttons.
    Hope that is what you want
    Tee Jay

    Tee Jay, Feb 14, 2006

  3. (posting to IE general on msnews; no access to USENET newsgroups)
    "John" <> wrote in message
    > You know when you open too many explorer windows as well as other
    > programs and sometimes the explorer windows all condense to be under
    > one tab at the bottom of your display in the taskbar area?
    >
    > If I close enough programs, or even expand the taskbar further upwards
    > so I can have more programs open and more explorer windows visible,
    > how do I then expand all those explorer windows that have been grouped
    > under one tab?
    >
    > I hope you know what I am going on about I've tried to explain it as
    > best I can.
    >
    > At the moment when I left click it I can select which web page to go
    > into. When I right click it I get options like Cascade, Tile
    > Horizontally, Vertically, Minimize, Close Group etc. I currently have
    > 10 explorer windows under one group/tab that I want to be under their
    > own tabs in the taskbar again.
    >
    > How do I do it? Is it even possible to? It's a real pain in the ass
    > when it does this.

    You got it. That is the number one biggest drawback to using tabs IMO.
    Apparently there is no support in the taskbar grouping code for subgroups
    which is what tabs would require to make their pages visible.

    The second biggest drawback is that you can't switch between a tabbed
    and an untabbed arrangement of windows at will. E.g. doing that requires
    a restart of IE. At least if you could do that you could resort to taskbar
    grouping to figure out where all your open pages had gone to. <eg>

    It's not even possible to create temporary titles for pages which would
    also help organize tabs and windows and make them harder to lose
    track of that way.

    ---

    Robert Aldwinckle, Feb 14, 2006