    DOS=HIGH UMB
    DEVICE= C:\Windows\HIMEM.sys

    Any cures for the 'hang' ?
    fhg, Jan 17, 2004

  2. fhg

    fhg Guest

    > > After exiting TurboPascal 5.5 (Dos), even if no code has been written,

    and
    > > it's just launched and exited, windows 98SE just hangs forever.
    > > If a shortcut to the .exe file (turbo) is created, and rt-clicked, and
    > > properties
    > > selected, under the advance tab, there is an option to use the current

    Dos
    > > configuration or to specify a new one.
    > >
    > > current Config.sys for dos mode:
    > > DOS=HIGH UMB
    > > DEVICE= C:\Windows\HIMEM.sys
    > >
    > > Any cures for the 'hang' ?

    > Have you downloaded the "official" Microsoft shut down patch? I don't

    have
    > the link here but you can find it on the Microsoft knowledge base. This

    can
    > also be due to problematic virtual device drivers. In that case you'd

    need
    > to us the step-by-step confirmation procedure(in the startup menu). Once
    > you get to the first driver(appears after the question about loading the
    > Windows drivers), you press "enter"and then "esc" to the ones that follow.
    > If it still doesn't shut down, then add "enter" to the next and so on till
    > you find the one that gets the system to shut down.

    Yes, windows update is up to date. I'll look for and download the patch you
    refer to in case it is not included in the updates.

    The start>programs>startup folder - is empty.
    Under start>run>msconfig>startup tab - the items checked are streamlined to
    just the ones needed.
    DeviceManager>view devices by type>selecting each device
    >properties>driver>driver file details.

    Windows>System>Vmm.32 - has a few vxd s listed

    Where do I "use the step-by-step confirmation procedure(in the startup
    menu)" to shut off vitual device drivers one by one?

    fhg, Jan 18, 2004

  3. fhg

    fhg Guest

    ok - found it - holding Cntrl key on boot

    fhg, Jan 18, 2004
  4. fhg

    Rick Blythin Guest

    "fhg" <_(notreal)> wrote in message
    > After exiting TurboPascal 5.5 (Dos), even if no code has been written, and
    > it's just launched and exited, windows 98SE just hangs forever.
    >
    > investigation:
    > If a shortcut to the .exe file (turbo) is created, and rt-clicked, and
    > properties
    > selected, under the advance tab, there is an option to use the current Dos
    > configuration or to specify a new one.
    >
    > current Config.sys for dos mode:
    > DOS=HIGH UMB
    > DEVICE= C:\Windows\HIMEM.sys
    >
    > Any cures for the 'hang' ?

    I had an old copy of Pascal (non-Turbo) on a floppy disk; as I took two
    years of programming on it in high school. I never had issues, I was running
    W98 at the time if I recall. Try booting and holding down CTRL then at the
    menu select 'Command Prompt only' I believe is the line. See if that
    improves things.

    Rick
    Rick Blythin, Jan 22, 2004