    Meribeth C Guest

    Sorry! what do these letters stand for?
    Thanks....M

    Meribeth C, Oct 8, 2003

  2. Meribeth C

    Vince_Z Guest

    Hi,

    I searched google (http://www.google.com - you've heard of google, right?)
    for you and found this site:
    http://www.exif.org. Basically it stands for Exchangeable Image File Format

    Does this help?

    "Meribeth C" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Sorry! what do these letters stand for?
    > Thanks....M

    Vince_Z, Oct 8, 2003

  3. Meribeth C

    CSM1 Guest

    "Meribeth C" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Sorry! what do these letters stand for?
    > Thanks....M

    EXchangeable Image File format for Digital Still Cameras: Exif

    It is an extension of the standard JPEG file format for Digital Cameras.

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    CSM1, Oct 8, 2003
  4. "CSM1" <> wrote in message news:<qPSgb.352$>...
    > "Meribeth C" <> wrote in message
    > > Sorry! what do these letters stand for?
    > > Thanks....M
    > >

    > EXchangeable Image File format for Digital Still Cameras: Exif
    >
    > It is an extension of the standard JPEG file format for Digital Cameras.

    As might have been said earlier, do a www.google.com search for
    EXIFER and generally the first site is the one, friedman rings a bell.
    When you run EXIFER it is possible to toggle the way that the values
    are displayed. One way it is a straight number and the other way give
    a fraction like 10/635 The value is something like 2 raised to this
    power. Marc Pawliger of Adobe fame did post a message with the
    explanation but I've lost it....... and the plot I think.

    Are there any other image scanning -cum- generating devices that
    append EXIF data to the image file? I appreciate that a scanner can't
    identify a 1942 print compared with a 1977 one but at least the
    structure would be there to enter or edit the values.

    Regards Chris.

    Chris McBrien, Oct 8, 2003
  5. Meribeth C

    CSM1 Guest

    > > "Meribeth C" <> wrote in message
    > > > Sorry! what do these letters stand for?
    > > > Thanks....M
    > > >

    > > EXchangeable Image File format for Digital Still Cameras: Exif
    > >
    > > It is an extension of the standard JPEG file format for Digital Cameras.

    > As might have been said earlier, do a www.google.com search for
    > EXIFER and generally the first site is the one, friedman rings a bell.
    > When you run EXIFER it is possible to toggle the way that the values
    > are displayed. One way it is a straight number and the other way give
    > a fraction like 10/635 The value is something like 2 raised to this
    > power. Marc Pawliger of Adobe fame did post a message with the
    > explanation but I've lost it....... and the plot I think.
    >
    > Are there any other image scanning -cum- generating devices that
    > append EXIF data to the image file? I appreciate that a scanner can't
    > identify a 1942 print compared with a 1977 one but at least the
    > structure would be there to enter or edit the values.
    >
    > Regards Chris.

    Quote from the EXIF spec.
    "This document specifies a standard file format for the image data recorded
    by digital still cameras (DSC) and related systems, which use a PC Card or
    other removable memory medium."

    Since the EXIF format is for digital cameras, it is not used by any other
    device that I know about, but with an EXIF editor such as Exifer some data
    fields can be added to a JPEG file. Exif can be included in some TIFF files
    also.

    For the technical minded the EXIF spec.
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com/Pdf/Exif_2-1.pdf

    --