    inexpensive/free utility out there that reads EXIF from NEF files?
    _____________________________
    Ron, the humblest guy in town

    Ron, Feb 22, 2013

  2. Ron

    nospam Guest

    In article <1kyp666.z03lspwzfgaoN%>, Ron
    <> wrote:

    > I have EXIF Viewer for Mac to read EXIF from JPEGs. Is there an
    > inexpensive/free utility out there that reads EXIF from NEF files?

    the only exif reader to get is exiftool:
    <http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/>

    nospam, Feb 22, 2013

  3. Ron

    Ron Guest

    nospam <> wrote:

    > In article <1kyp666.z03lspwzfgaoN%>, Ron
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > I have EXIF Viewer for Mac to read EXIF from JPEGs. Is there an
    > > inexpensive/free utility out there that reads EXIF from NEF files?

    > the only exif reader to get is exiftool:
    > <http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/>

    Thanks, very good. I particularly like the List Exif Metadata (edit).app
    droplet; drag 'n' drop.

    --
    _____________________________
    Ron, the humblest guy in town

    Ron, Feb 23, 2013
  4. Ron

    nospam Guest

    In article <2013022314151671490-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

    > >> I have EXIF Viewer for Mac to read EXIF from JPEGs. Is there an
    > >> inexpensive/free utility out there that reads EXIF from NEF files?

    > > the only exif reader to get is exiftool:
    > > <http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/>

    > "EXIFTool" is probably the most comprehensive EXIF reader/editor out
    > there, but it is not a prospect for the average, terminal averse Mac
    > user. Not all Mac users are comfortable lifting the hood. Certainly one
    > can say they should be, or they can learn, but not all have a desire to
    > do so.

    there are gui wrappers for mac and windows users.

    nospam, Feb 23, 2013
  5. nospam wrote:

    >>> the only exif reader to get is exiftool:
    >>> <http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/>

    >> "EXIFTool" is probably the most comprehensive EXIF reader/editor out
    >> there, but it is not a prospect for the average, terminal averse Mac
    >> user. Not all Mac users are comfortable lifting the hood. Certainly
    >> one can say they should be, or they can learn, but not all have a
    >> desire to do so.

    > there are gui wrappers for mac and windows users.

    Do you happen to recall where or a name?

    David

    David Hare-Scott, Feb 23, 2013
  6. Ron

    nospam Guest

    In article <kgbgtn$jcp$>, David Hare-Scott
    <> wrote:

    > >> "EXIFTool" is probably the most comprehensive EXIF reader/editor out
    > >> there, but it is not a prospect for the average, terminal averse Mac
    > >> user. Not all Mac users are comfortable lifting the hood. Certainly
    > >> one can say they should be, or they can learn, but not all have a
    > >> desire to do so.

    > > there are gui wrappers for mac and windows users.

    > Do you happen to recall where or a name?

    i use the command line version but another post mentioned one:

    nospam, Feb 23, 2013
  7. Ron

    nospam Guest

    In article <201302231456282196-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    > >> "EXIFTool" is probably the most comprehensive EXIF reader/editor out
    > >> there, but it is not a prospect for the average, terminal averse Mac
    > >> user. Not all Mac users are comfortable lifting the hood. Certainly one
    > >> can say they should be, or they can learn, but not all have a desire to
    > >> do so.

    > > there are gui wrappers for mac and windows users.

    > I know of GUI wrappers for Windows users, I have yet to find one for Mac.

    one was already mentioned and there are a few others listed on the
    exiftool page in the related utilities section. i haven't tried any of
    them so i don't know how good or bad they may be.

    nospam, Feb 23, 2013
  8. Ron

    Ron Guest

    > On 2013-02-23 14:27:57 -0800, nospam <> said:

    > >> "EXIFTool" is probably the most comprehensive EXIF reader/editor out
    > >> there, but it is not a prospect for the average, terminal averse Mac
    > >> user. Not all Mac users are comfortable lifting the hood. Certainly one
    > >> can say they should be, or they can learn, but not all have a desire to
    > >> do so.

    > > there are gui wrappers for mac and windows users.

    > I know of GUI wrappers for Windows users, I have yet to find one for Mac.

    The exiftool page has links to lots of related utilities. I downloaded
    the three droplets by Rob Lewis. I don't see a full GUI for Mac.

    --
    _____________________________
    Ron, the humblest guy in town

    Ron, Feb 23, 2013
  9. Ron

    Ron Guest

    said:

    > > On 2013-02-22 14:19:11 -0800, nospam <> said:

    > >> the only exif reader to get is exiftool:
    > >> <http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/>

    > > "EXIFTool" is probably the most comprehensive EXIF reader/editor out
    > > there, but it is not a prospect for the average, terminal averse Mac
    > > user. Not all Mac users are comfortable lifting the hood. Certainly one
    > > can say they should be, or they can learn, but not all have a desire to
    > > do so.
    > >
    > > For the non-geek there is "File Viewer", which is not an editor, at the
    > > usual unbeatable price. ;-)
    > > < https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/file-viewer/id495987613?mt=12 >

    > There is also "Reveal", a bit clunky, but it works.
    > < http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/19758/reveal >
    >
    > ...and "Preview", which Ron should have on his Mac will open NEF's and
    > other RAW files and give you all the EXIF data, including GPS. As far
    > as EXIF & other metadata it is a read only prospect, but it seems Ron
    > is looking for a reader not an editor.
    > < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_135e.jpg >

    I can open a NEF file with Preview; it shows only the image. How do I
    view the EXIF data?
    --
    _____________________________
    Ron, the humblest guy in town

    Ron, Feb 23, 2013
  10. Ron

    nospam Guest

    In article <1kyr3ye.1ewushk54vt34N%>, Ron
    <> wrote:

    > I can open a NEF file with Preview; it shows only the image. How do I
    > view the EXIF data?

    under tools menu, select open inspector, click on the 'i' button, then
    click on the various tabs

    nospam, Feb 23, 2013