Exif orientation tag on Olympus cameras

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Luis Santos, Jun 1, 2006.

  1. Luis Santos

    Luis Santos Guest

    Is there an Olympus camera that has an orientation sensor? In other
    words, a camera that automatically fills the orientation tag of Exif
    metadata?

    I´m looking for cameras with a true orientation sensor, and no cameras
    with a embedded manual rotation feature, that changes the orientation
    tag.

    My ACDSee software can automatically rotates vertically oriented
    pictures, if they have the orientation tag of Exif metadata correctly
    filled.

    My current Olympus D-590 has not this feature. I want to upgrade it. As
    I have an 512Mb xD-card I want stay on Olympus brand.

    I strongly prefere a point-and-shoot style camera, if possible.

    Best regards,
    Luis Santos

    Luis Santos, Jun 1, 2006

  2. On 1 Jun 2006 07:52:05 -0700, Luis Santos <> wrote:
    > Is there an Olympus camera that has an orientation sensor? In other
    > words, a camera that automatically fills the orientation tag of Exif
    > metadata?
    >
    > I´m looking for cameras with a true orientation sensor, and no cameras
    > with a embedded manual rotation feature, that changes the orientation
    > tag.
    >
    > My ACDSee software can automatically rotates vertically oriented
    > pictures, if they have the orientation tag of Exif metadata correctly
    > filled.
    >
    > My current Olympus D-590 has not this feature. I want to upgrade it. As
    > I have an 512Mb xD-card I want stay on Olympus brand.

    While I don't know the answer to your specific question, let me point
    out that Fujifilm cameras also use xD memory.

    For that matter, the price of 512 meg cards has fallen to the point
    where a 30 or 40 dollar price differential in camera models will wipe
    out the cost of buying a new SD or whatever card.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Jun 1, 2006

  3. Luis Santos

    Luis Santos Guest

    Hi Daniel!

    Daniel Silevitch escreveu:

    > On 1 Jun 2006 07:52:05 -0700, Luis Santos <> wrote:
    > > Is there an Olympus camera that has an orientation sensor? In other
    > > words, a camera that automatically fills the orientation tag of Exif
    > > metadata?
    > >
    > > I´m looking for cameras with a true orientation sensor, and no cameras
    > > with a embedded manual rotation feature, that changes the orientation
    > > tag.
    > >
    > > My ACDSee software can automatically rotates vertically oriented
    > > pictures, if they have the orientation tag of Exif metadata correctly
    > > filled.
    > >
    > > My current Olympus D-590 has not this feature. I want to upgrade it. As
    > > I have an 512Mb xD-card I want stay on Olympus brand.

    > While I don't know the answer to your specific question, let me point
    > out that Fujifilm cameras also use xD memory.
    >
    > For that matter, the price of 512 meg cards has fallen to the point
    > where a 30 or 40 dollar price differential in camera models will wipe
    > out the cost of buying a new SD or whatever card.

    Yeah, I´m aware that Fuji cameras also use xD card, as this card was
    developed by both of them. I forgot to include the Fuji cameras on my
    search. But I think Fuji P&S cameras are a lit bulkier. I aprecciate
    the elegance of the Oly P&S digital cameras.

    Yeah, I really want a P&S camera with orientation sensor. I live in
    Brazil where, unfortunattely, the cards (and all other eletronic stuff)
    are too much pricey than the rest of the world.

    But I would move to another memory card type, If there´s no xD P&S
    camera with orientation tag!

    Luis Santos, Jun 1, 2006
  4. On 1 Jun 2006 08:08:21 -0700, Luis Santos <> wrote:
    > Hi Daniel!
    >
    > Daniel Silevitch escreveu:
    >
    >> On 1 Jun 2006 07:52:05 -0700, Luis Santos <> wrote:
    >> > Is there an Olympus camera that has an orientation sensor? In other
    >> > words, a camera that automatically fills the orientation tag of Exif
    >> > metadata?
    >> >
    >> > I´m looking for cameras with a true orientation sensor, and no cameras
    >> > with a embedded manual rotation feature, that changes the orientation
    >> > tag.
    >> >
    >> > My ACDSee software can automatically rotates vertically oriented
    >> > pictures, if they have the orientation tag of Exif metadata correctly
    >> > filled.
    >> >
    >> > My current Olympus D-590 has not this feature. I want to upgrade it. As
    >> > I have an 512Mb xD-card I want stay on Olympus brand.

    >> While I don't know the answer to your specific question, let me point
    >> out that Fujifilm cameras also use xD memory.
    >>
    >> For that matter, the price of 512 meg cards has fallen to the point
    >> where a 30 or 40 dollar price differential in camera models will wipe
    >> out the cost of buying a new SD or whatever card.
    >>

    > Yeah, I´m aware that Fuji cameras also use xD card, as this card was
    > developed by both of them. I forgot to include the Fuji cameras on my
    > search. But I think Fuji P&S cameras are a lit bulkier. I aprecciate
    > the elegance of the Oly P&S digital cameras.
    >
    > Yeah, I really want a P&S camera with orientation sensor. I live in
    > Brazil where, unfortunattely, the cards (and all other eletronic stuff)
    > are too much pricey than the rest of the world.

    A quick scan through http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Olympus/
    suggests that there aren't any Olympus P&S models with an orientation
    sensor. For that matter, there don't seem to be any Fuji compacts with
    such a sensor either.

    > But I would move to another memory card type, If there´s no xD P&S
    > camera with orientation tag!

    Well, I can't claim to have done an exhaustive search, but 30 seconds
    worth of research suggests that if you really need the orientation
    sensor, you're probably going to have to move to an SD-based camera. The
    Canon Ixus/Powershot series of models, perhaps.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Jun 1, 2006
  5. Luis Santos

    Luis Santos Guest

    Hi Daniel!

    Daniel Silevitch escreveu:

    > On 1 Jun 2006 08:08:21 -0700, Luis Santos <> wrote:
    > > Hi Daniel!
    > >
    > > Daniel Silevitch escreveu:

    > >> While I don't know the answer to your specific question, let me point
    > >> out that Fujifilm cameras also use xD memory.
    > >>
    > >> For that matter, the price of 512 meg cards has fallen to the point
    > >> where a 30 or 40 dollar price differential in camera models will wipe
    > >> out the cost of buying a new SD or whatever card.
    > >>

    > > Yeah, I´m aware that Fuji cameras also use xD card, as this card was
    > > developed by both of them. I forgot to include the Fuji cameras on my
    > > search. But I think Fuji P&S cameras are a lit bulkier. I aprecciate
    > > the elegance of the Oly P&S digital cameras.
    > >
    > > Yeah, I really want a P&S camera with orientation sensor. I live in
    > > Brazil where, unfortunattely, the cards (and all other eletronic stuff)
    > > are too much pricey than the rest of the world.

    > A quick scan through http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Olympus/
    > suggests that there aren't any Olympus P&S models with an orientation
    > sensor. For that matter, there don't seem to be any Fuji compacts with
    > such a sensor either.
    >
    > > But I would move to another memory card type, If there´s no xD P&S
    > > camera with orientation tag!

    > Well, I can't claim to have done an exhaustive search, but 30 seconds
    > worth of research suggests that if you really need the orientation
    > sensor, you're probably going to have to move to an SD-based camera. The
    > Canon Ixus/Powershot series of models, perhaps.

    I really like the Sony Cyber-shot S600 camera. It has a good price,
    Carl-Zeiss optics, 6Mp and uses common AA batteries (I hate the low
    power LI-12B battery that comes with my Oly D-590).

    But in the dpreview S600 page
    (http://www.dpreview.com/news/0601/06010501sonys600.asp) the
    orientation info is missing. So we can´t know if it has (or not) the
    orientation sensor.

    Luis Santos, Jun 1, 2006
  6. Luis Santos

    Steve Guest

    Luis Santos wrote:
    > Is there an Olympus camera that has an orientation sensor? In other
    > words, a camera that automatically fills the orientation tag of Exif
    > metadata?
    >
    > I´m looking for cameras with a true orientation sensor, and no cameras
    > with a embedded manual rotation feature, that changes the orientation
    > tag.
    >
    > My ACDSee software can automatically rotates vertically oriented
    > pictures, if they have the orientation tag of Exif metadata correctly
    > filled.
    >
    > My current Olympus D-590 has not this feature. I want to upgrade it. As
    > I have an 512Mb xD-card I want stay on Olympus brand.
    >
    > I strongly prefere a point-and-shoot style camera, if possible.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Luis Santos

    my e500 knows the difference for the portrait or landscape. Presuming it
    has a sensor or some nifty computer snizzle.

    Steve, Jun 1, 2006
  7. Luis Santos wrote:
    > Is there an Olympus camera that has an orientation sensor? In other
    > words, a camera that automatically fills the orientation tag of Exif
    > metadata?

    I'll echo what "Stevie" said: the E-500 does Probably all the rest of
    the E-series too. Great camera!

    -ben

    ben at myselfmusic dot com, Jun 2, 2006
  8. ben at myselfmusic dot com <> wrote:
    > I'll echo what "Stevie" said: the E-500 does Probably all the rest of
    > the E-series too. Great camera!

    I can confirm that the E-300 has an orientation sensor also, so
    yeah, probably the whole E-series.

    --
    Oh to have a lodge in some vast wilderness. Where rumors of oppression
    and deceit, of unsuccessful and successful wars may never reach me

    Jeremiah DeWitt Weiner, Jun 2, 2006