    - Is there a fix?

    --
    Stephen Poley

    Stephen Poley, May 22, 2005

  2. Stephen Poley

    Mike Mills Guest

    Stephen Poley <> wrote in
    news::

    > When editing photos I use the Dimage Viewer that came with my
    > camera. But if all that is needed is cropping, I use Irfanview
    > because it is a lot faster, and the user interface is better as
    > well.
    >
    > I have just discovered that when I've edited a picture with
    > Irfanview, the Dimage Viewer claims that there is no EXIF data
    > present, though Irfanview can still display it.
    >
    > Some questions:
    > - Anyone know what is causing this?
    > - Can most viewing/editing programs read the EXIF data produced

    by
    > Irfanview? (I quite like Irfanview, but I don't want to be in the
    > position where it's the only program that can read my EXIF data).
    > - Is there a fix?

    I too like irfanview a lot. When you hit Ctrl-s to save the picture
    with the option of changing the filename, there are some parameters
    which can be selected. see if they are checked or not.
    I have no such problems, although I often remove the exif data
    using other programs such as "jhead" from the cmdline to take care
    of a number of files at once.
    Jhead also allows the addition or manipulation of the exif or
    comment data in a *batch* mode via cmdline.
    The handiest way of writing descript.ion files may be to use a
    slightly older version of xnview . The newest v 1.80 RC version
    currently has some problems handling descript.ion files the way I
    like.

    Mike Mills, May 22, 2005

  3. On Sun, 22 May 2005 19:42:10 GMT, Mike Mills <>
    wrote:

    >Stephen Poley <> wrote in
    >
    >> I have just discovered that when I've edited a picture with
    >> Irfanview, the Dimage Viewer claims that there is no EXIF data
    >> present, though Irfanview can still display it.
    >>
    >> Some questions:
    >> - Anyone know what is causing this?
    >> - Can most viewing/editing programs read the EXIF data produced by
    >> Irfanview? (I quite like Irfanview, but I don't want to be in the
    >> position where it's the only program that can read my EXIF data).
    >> - Is there a fix?

    >I too like irfanview a lot. When you hit Ctrl-s to save the picture
    >with the option of changing the filename, there are some parameters
    >which can be selected. see if they are checked or not.

    If you mean the option to keep EXIF data - yes, it's checked. And
    Irfanview itself can read the information produced, but the Dimage
    Viewer can not.

    Presumably either Irfanview is writing the information incorrectly or
    the Dimage Viewer is reading it incorrectly. If the latter, I can live
    with it. But if Irfanview is writing the EXIF in a non-standard fashion,
    then I don't want to use it any more for cropping. I was hoping someone
    here could help.

    --
    Stephen Poley

    Stephen Poley, May 23, 2005
  4. Stephen Poley

    Mike Mills Guest

    Stephen Poley <> wrote in

    > On Sun, 22 May 2005 19:42:10 GMT, Mike Mills
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Stephen Poley <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I have just discovered that when I've edited a picture with
    >>> Irfanview, the Dimage Viewer claims that there is no EXIF data
    >>> present, though Irfanview can still display it.
    >>>
    >>> Some questions:
    >>> - Anyone know what is causing this?
    >>> - Can most viewing/editing programs read the EXIF data produced
    >>> by Irfanview? (I quite like Irfanview, but I don't want to be

    in
    >>> the position where it's the only program that can read my EXIF
    >>> data). - Is there a fix?

    >>I too like irfanview a lot. When you hit Ctrl-s to save the
    >>picture with the option of changing the filename, there are some
    >>parameters which can be selected. see if they are checked or not.

    > If you mean the option to keep EXIF data - yes, it's checked. And
    > Irfanview itself can read the information produced, but the

    Dimage
    > Viewer can not.
    >
    > Presumably either Irfanview is writing the information

    incorrectly
    > or the Dimage Viewer is reading it incorrectly. If the latter, I
    > can live with it. But if Irfanview is writing the EXIF in a
    > non-standard fashion, then I don't want to use it any more for
    > cropping. I was hoping someone here could help.

    I have not had any incompatibility ever with either exif
    information retention by irfanview or any other stuff written into
    the jpeg file structure like comment text.
    Maybe you could try this one which I know reads the embedded
    information directly from the image:
    <!--// P3dO Explorer © 2000-2005, SENO Software-->
    // http://www.senosoft.com/
    //
    //--------------------
    9:21 PM 4/26/05
    free
    very good

    P3dO Explorer 1.7.6
    P3dO Explorer is the official name for "Photo 3d Object
    Explorer".
    P3dO is an Explorer-ish image viewer which will help you manage
    your graphic
    stuff.

    Mike Mills, May 23, 2005