.EXE associated with Microsoft Excel

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Dan Wiebe, Mar 7, 2004.

  1. Dan Wiebe

    Dan Wiebe Guest

    In the process of trying to eradicate a virus, I managed to
    accidentally get all .EXE files associated with Microsoft
    Excel. That is to say, whenever I try to run a .EXE file
    (for example, EXPLORER.EXE), Excel opens up and loads the
    file as data. This essentially means that the entire
    machine is useless, except in command-line mode. Even Safe
    Mode is hosed.

    I used the command-line version of REGEDIT to dump the
    Registry to a text file, which I have been perusing from
    another machine over the network with WordPad. But I don't
    know where in the Registry this file association is
    located; I can't seem to find it either by searching for
    "EXCEL.EXE" or for ".EXE"--or nearby variants of both.

    So I used command-line mode to rename EXCEL.EXE to
    EX_CEL.EXE; now whenever I boot the sick machine, I get a
    lot of messages telling me that Windows needs EXCEL.EXE to
    handle files of type 'EXE File' and can't find it. But I
    can't find the string "EXE File" in the dumped Registry at all.

    Any ideas what my next step should be?

    Thanks,
    Dan

    Dan Wiebe, Mar 7, 2004

  2. Dan Wiebe

    Matt Guest

    Open up "My Computer" click on "Tools" then "Folder options". Click on File
    types and find the entry for EXE files, delete it.

    Matt, Mar 7, 2004

  3. Dan Wiebe

    Matt Guest

    more...

    Also try #12 on this list of fixes:

    Matt, Mar 7, 2004
  4. Dan Wiebe

    Guest Guest

    Thanks for the quick response. I should have mentioned
    that the File Types list does not contain "EXE Files" or
    anything else that looks appropriate. That's why I was
    fooling with the Registry in the first place.

    I'll keep grinding away and see what I can find out.

    Thanks again,
    Dan

    Guest, Mar 7, 2004