    and it's all good".

    Screenshots and details: http://www.planet-express.com/spyware.html

    AS

    Alain Star, Jan 6, 2005

  2. Alain Star

    Penguin_X Guest

    Alain Star wrote:
    > Exclusive: Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta
    >
    > Microsoft have just finished distributing an internal Beta 1 escrow build to
    > internal beta testers. "Atlanta" is the code-name for Microsoft's rehashed
    > GIANT Software Anti-Spyware. In a memo internally, the company looks clear
    > to distribute the software this coming Thursday calling it "new, it's fresh,
    > and it's all good".
    >
    > Screenshots and details: http://www.planet-express.com/spyware.html
    >
    > AS

    Microsoft anti-spyware ? I don't trust that. I prefer using an other
    operating system and keep my computer free from that ****.

    Penguin_X

    Penguin_X, Jan 6, 2005

  3. Honestly, I do not trust Microsoft for anything. If you really want to rid
    yourself of these problems ditch Microsoft...as I have. I am quite happy
    now. No worries...

    Michael

    Michael J. Pelletier, Jan 6, 2005
  4. Alain Star

    Vanguard Guest

    "Alain Star" <> wrote in message
    > Exclusive: Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta
    >
    > Microsoft have just finished distributing an internal Beta 1 escrow
    > build to
    > internal beta testers. "Atlanta" is the code-name for Microsoft's
    > rehashed
    > GIANT Software Anti-Spyware. In a memo internally, the company looks
    > clear
    > to distribute the software this coming Thursday calling it "new, it's
    > fresh,
    > and it's all good".
    >
    > Screenshots and details: http://www.planet-express.com/spyware.html

    When posting the SAME message to multiple RELATED newsgroups, please
    cross-post. See replies to your other disconnected thread in
    alt.comp.virus.

    Thanks for the heads up.

    Vanguard, Jan 6, 2005
  5. Alain Star

    Vanguard Guest

    "Penguin_X" <> wrote in message
    > Alain Star wrote:
    >> Exclusive: Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta
    >>
    >> Microsoft have just finished distributing an internal Beta 1 escrow
    >> build to
    >> internal beta testers. "Atlanta" is the code-name for Microsoft's
    >> rehashed
    >> GIANT Software Anti-Spyware. In a memo internally, the company looks
    >> clear
    >> to distribute the software this coming Thursday calling it "new, it's
    >> fresh,
    >> and it's all good".
    >>
    >> Screenshots and details: http://www.planet-express.com/spyware.html
    >>

    > Microsoft anti-spyware ? I don't trust that. I prefer using an other
    > operating system and keep my computer free from that ****.

    Another basher speaketh. Thou shall listen or be consumed in the fires
    that made thee.

    Why do you care about applications used on one of MANY operating systems
    which you do NOT use? Gee, I don't use IBM MVS, AS/400, Mac, OS/2, or
    lots of other operating systems, but I have no insuppressible itch to go
    hunting around for threads related to those other operating systems
    unused by me just to say, "Hey, look at me, I don't use that OS, I'm
    super smart in picking an OS regardless of the requirements of my
    critical apps, so I don't care about applications for those other
    OS'es." Wow, what a surprise. Do you really appreciate someone
    interrupting your discussion to proselytize their divined wisdom in
    choosing a different operating system than you?

    Vanguard, Jan 6, 2005
  6. Alain Star

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 15:17:43 +0100, "Alain Star"
    <> wrote:

    >Exclusive: Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta
    >
    >Microsoft have just finished distributing an internal Beta 1 escrow build to
    >internal beta testers. "Atlanta" is the code-name for Microsoft's rehashed
    >GIANT Software Anti-Spyware. In a memo internally, the company looks clear
    >to distribute the software this coming Thursday calling it "new, it's fresh,
    >and it's all good".
    >
    >Screenshots and details: http://www.planet-express.com/spyware.html
    >
    >AS

    does it send details of the software it finds back to microsoft so
    they can improve the product :)

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Jan 6, 2005
  7. Alain Star

    Vanguard Guest

    "Jim Watt" <_way> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 15:17:43 +0100, "Alain Star"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Exclusive: Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta
    >>
    >>Microsoft have just finished distributing an internal Beta 1 escrow
    >>build to
    >>internal beta testers. "Atlanta" is the code-name for Microsoft's
    >>rehashed
    >>GIANT Software Anti-Spyware. In a memo internally, the company looks
    >>clear
    >>to distribute the software this coming Thursday calling it "new, it's
    >>fresh,
    >>and it's all good".
    >>
    >>Screenshots and details: http://www.planet-express.com/spyware.html

    > does it send details of the software it finds back to microsoft so
    > they can improve the product :)

    Why would Microsoft care to improve some other developers product that
    proliferates spyware or malware?

    It's an on-demand scanner. Perhaps it has an on-access scanner, like
    anti-virus products do. I haven't anyone claiming that it is a
    full-blown IPS (intrusion protection system). For that, go look at
    PrevX (but which does not obviate the need for boundary protection, like
    firewalls and anti-virus scanners).

    E-mail: vanguard_help AT yahoo.com (append "#NEWS#" to Subject)

    Vanguard, Jan 6, 2005
  8. "Jim Watt" <_way> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 15:17:43 +0100, "Alain Star"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Exclusive: Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta
    >>
    >>Microsoft have just finished distributing an internal Beta 1 escrow build
    >>internal beta testers. "Atlanta" is the code-name for Microsoft's rehashed
    >>GIANT Software Anti-Spyware. In a memo internally, the company looks clear
    >>to distribute the software this coming Thursday calling it "new, it's
    >>fresh,
    >>and it's all good".
    >>
    >>Screenshots and details: http://www.planet-express.com/spyware.html
    >>
    >>AS
    >>

    > does it send details of the software it finds back to microsoft so
    > they can improve the product :)

    If you set it up that way, yes. At this point it's still pretty much
    Giant AntiSpyware slightly warmed over, or more accurately slightly stripped
    down, they removed a couple of minor features. One of Giant's better ideas
    was "SpyNet AntiSpyware community", which the Microsoft beta retains. They
    hired many of the key people from Giant, so there is hope that this will
    remain a useful program.

    TB

    Technobarbarian, Jan 7, 2005
  9. Alain Star

    Dave Baker Guest

    On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 19:33:21 -0700, "Technobarbarian"
    <> wrote:

    >One of Giant's better ideas
    >was "SpyNet AntiSpyware community", which the Microsoft beta retains. They
    >hired many of the key people from Giant, so there is hope that this will
    >remain a useful program.

    It will only be useful if Microsoft removes all the crap required to actually
    install the program!

    First I had to download some EXE & run it, and then copy the results of that
    into another field, and then after all that I had to pull my computer desk
    apart to find the 25 character Windows ID!

    Needless to say I just abandoned the whole idea & made sure my Ad-Aware is
    up-to-date.

    Anyone have a link to the Microsoft program that doesn't require this
    run-around?

    Dave

    The email address used for sending these postings is not valid.
    All replies to the group please.

    Dave Baker, Jan 7, 2005
  10. I do not believe his comment was meant to be malicious. What Penguin_x was
    saying is that there are MUCH better solutions out there. I agree. The
    problem with MS solutions is you need soooo many secondary applications
    (Anti Spyware, Virus, patch after patch, etc) to run safely. I have been
    frustrated with MS for years. They never fix a problem directly instead the
    take the most roundabout way of doing things. It is like, "Hey upgrade, Buy
    more crappy software)....

    Now, understand that UNIX people like me and other come here usually because
    they are forced to support MS in some way and not to ridicule people.

    Michael J. Pelletier, Jan 7, 2005
  11. "Dave Baker" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 19:33:21 -0700, "Technobarbarian"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>One of Giant's better ideas
    >>was "SpyNet AntiSpyware community", which the Microsoft beta retains. They
    >>hired many of the key people from Giant, so there is hope that this will
    >>remain a useful program.

    > It will only be useful if Microsoft removes all the crap required to
    > actually
    > install the program!
    >
    > First I had to download some EXE & run it, and then copy the results of
    > that
    > into another field, and then after all that I had to pull my computer desk
    > apart to find the 25 character Windows ID!
    >
    > Needless to say I just abandoned the whole idea & made sure my Ad-Aware is
    > up-to-date.

    You must be running something other than XP. With XP I just downloaded
    and ran the program. It was a very easy install. Unfortunately neither
    Ad-aware nor Ad-aware in combination with Spybot offer really complete
    protection, as I've discovered by finding some genuine nasties with other
    tools--including Giant.

    TB

    Technobarbarian, Jan 7, 2005
  12. Alain Star

    Dave Baker Guest

    On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 22:24:51 -0700, "Technobarbarian"
    <> wrote:

    >You must be running something other than XP. With XP I just downloaded
    >and ran the program.

    Interesting - are you in the USA? I'm in Asia (the heart of piracy where I
    can buy any CD on the market for US$1.50) so maybe they detect IP address &
    make me go through this process? I'm running XP Home.

    >Ad-aware nor Ad-aware in combination with Spybot offer really complete
    >protection, as I've discovered by finding some genuine nasties with other
    >tools--including Giant.

    I run Ad-Aware & Spybot on my system reasonably regularly. I'll be watching
    to see how the new Microsoft product compares.

    Dave Baker, Jan 7, 2005
  13. "Michael J. Pelletier" <> wrote in message
    >I do not believe his comment was meant to be malicious.

    No it wasn't malicious, it was just ridiculous. For some people Linux
    has become some sort of religious cult and any mention of a Widows problem
    brings on sermons on the glories of Linux. Hey, if you can get by with a
    very limited operating system and a very limited selection of programs, go
    for it if that's what floats yer boat, but pulleeeeze, we can do without the
    sermons, hallelujahs, amens and gratuitous Windows bashing. We all know
    Windows isn't perfect and still, as amazing as it seems, most of us made an
    informed decision to use it.

    We've got you regularly telling us things like: "I am quite happy now.
    No worries..." Well hallelujah and God Bless you--How grand for you! You
    sound like some sort of Bobby McFarrin clone. Don't Worry, be happy. For
    many of us your old time religion doesn't work. If it did we would have
    already become converts without the sermons. Hell, if your world is so
    perfect I don't know why you bother to hang out here--except maybe to holler
    "spam" at the guy posting perfectly valid book reviews.

    TB

    Technobarbarian, Jan 7, 2005
  14. Alain Star

    <> wrote:

    > You must be running something other than XP. With XP I just downloaded
    >and ran the program.

    I just had another look after reading a report in the Aussie newspapers with
    a link to it.

    The main page is:

    If I click on the red star with "Try it now", I get sent to the following
    page:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en

    This page says:

    "This download is available to customers running genuine Microsoft Windows.
    Please click Continue to begin Windows validation."

    It also says:

    "This download is available running genuine Microsoft Windows. Click Continue
    in the Validation Recommended section above to begin the short validation
    process. Once validated, you will be returned to this page with specific
    instructions for obtaining the download."

    I can't see any other links that get around this validation requirement.

    Dave Baker, Jan 7, 2005
  15. "Dave Baker" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 22:24:51 -0700, "Technobarbarian"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> You must be running something other than XP. With XP I just downloaded
    >>and ran the program.

    > I just had another look after reading a report in the Aussie newspapers
    > with
    > a link to it.
    >
    > The main page is:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx
    >
    > If I click on the red star with "Try it now", I get sent to the following
    > page:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en
    >
    > This page says:
    >
    > "This download is available to customers running genuine Microsoft
    > Windows.
    > Please click Continue to begin Windows validation."
    >
    > It also says:
    >
    > "This download is available running genuine Microsoft Windows. Click
    > Continue
    > in the Validation Recommended section above to begin the short validation
    > process. Once validated, you will be returned to this page with specific
    > instructions for obtaining the download."
    >
    > I can't see any other links that get around this validation requirement.
    >
    > Dave

    Ok, this may be the differnce. As I page through from here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx to
    the download I get this page which allowed me to opt out of the validation
    process:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

    Even though I have a legal copy of Windows XP I opted out because I
    didn't feel like hassling with it. After reading about your experience I'm
    glad I did.

    TB

    Technobarbarian, Jan 7, 2005
  16. Alain Star

    Dave Baker Guest

    On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 00:18:42 -0700, "Technobarbarian"
    <> wrote:

    >http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

    Ok, that works. Thanks

    Ran the Anti-Spyware program after opting out of the validation. It found 3
    potential adware & spyware programs:

    Messenger Plus
    TightVNC
    Emule

    None of them are any problem to me as they are all installed deliberately.

    Dave Baker, Jan 7, 2005
  17. Alain Star

    winged Guest

    Jim Watt wrote:
    > On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 15:17:43 +0100, "Alain Star"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Exclusive: Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta
    >>
    >>Microsoft have just finished distributing an internal Beta 1 escrow build to
    >>internal beta testers. "Atlanta" is the code-name for Microsoft's rehashed
    >>GIANT Software Anti-Spyware. In a memo internally, the company looks clear
    >>to distribute the software this coming Thursday calling it "new, it's fresh,
    >>and it's all good".
    >>
    >>Screenshots and details: http://www.planet-express.com/spyware.html
    >>
    >>AS
    >>

    > does it send details of the software it finds back to microsoft so
    > they can improve the product :)
    >

    > --
    > Jim Watt
    > http://www.gibnet.com

    Or to Microsoft to improve the spyware...heh It can't all be by accident.
    Winged

    winged, Jan 11, 2005
  18. Alain Star

    winged Guest

    Alain Star wrote:
    > Exclusive: Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta
    >
    > Microsoft have just finished distributing an internal Beta 1 escrow build to
    > internal beta testers. "Atlanta" is the code-name for Microsoft's rehashed
    > GIANT Software Anti-Spyware. In a memo internally, the company looks clear
    > to distribute the software this coming Thursday calling it "new, it's fresh,
    > and it's all good".
    >
    > Screenshots and details: http://www.planet-express.com/spyware.html
    >
    > AS

    I had a disturbing problem with the MS Anti-spy beta. I will first say
    the tool rocked at finding some stuff missed by both Spybot S&D as well
    as Ad-aware free version. But it doesn't seem ethical for Microsoft to
    try to redirect my searches through Microsoft, change my homepage to
    MSN, and change my keyword search engine to Microsoft! This was
    attempted without even asking.

    I use Spybots Tea timer functionality. I have attached my screen shots
    of the tea timer interrupts of the page changes this tool attempted. I
    allowed the legitimate changes but disallowed these. Did anyone else
    have this issue? For such a good tool otherwise, I am a bit upset for
    anyone to try to hijack my homepage (set to www.google.com). I don't
    know if this was because ?I set my homepage specifically to google or
    what, but I had some heartburn with the behavior. The tool did not
    indicate it was going to make this change and it attempted the registry
    change on reboot.

    Attached graphics are screen snapshot of tea timer warnings on registry
    changes. Did anyone else have this issue?

    Regards,
    Winged

    winged, Jan 12, 2005