Exclusive Access to Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Nomen Nescio, Jul 30, 2003.

  1. Nomen Nescio

    Nomen Nescio Guest

    I've run into a strange issue over the past few weeks with my computer in
    which I get error messages when running Microsoft's Defrag, Norton Disk
    Doctor or Norton's Defrag telling me that the OS or some other program has
    got exclusive access to my hard drive and therefore the process cannot run.
    I am running Windows 2000 with all the latest security patches and service
    packs and Norton Systemworks 2003. This problem has only surfaced in the
    past few weeks following some Windows and Norton updates. I can't think of
    any other programs I have installed that might have caused it. I even
    wiped my hard drive and reinstalled everything to fix the problem and have
    the exact same problem again. MS Defrag not only gave me the exclusive
    access error but also told me that only 9% of my hard drive is free but
    that only 7% was available for use. I have tried shutting down all
    programs and manually non-important system processes and the error is still
    happening.

    Anyone else run into this problem or have solutions? If I were paranoid
    I'd suspect a keylogging program or virus. I'm using Zone Alarm with the
    latest Norton virus updates and have even tried running spyware detection
    software.

    Nomen Nescio, Jul 30, 2003