Exchange Server won't work with T-Stick: How to access my dad'shidden wireless?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Boppy, Jun 15, 2009.

  1. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    I'm staying at my dad's house in Auckland and he's given me the SSID
    and WEP details to access his wireless broadband. However, he tells me
    the technician (since departed) deliberately set it up as "hidden" so
    other people couldn't find/hack into it.

    Clicking on my Vista toolbar network icon, a bunch of security-enabled
    networks come up but none have his name. Two are un-named and when I
    click on them I am asked to enter the network name. I've typed in the
    name Dad gave me and then the password, but neither works.

    Assuming neither of these are Dad's network, how would I go about
    finding his?

    I have my Telecom T-stick but cannot connect to my Outlook Exchange
    Server with that connection and a week of having to use the Domainz
    web client will drive me mental. I first told their technicians about
    the issue in December and they still haven't fixed it, but that's
    another long and sad story.

    Thanks in advance for advice on how to solve either dilemma.

    Cheers,
    Jo

    Boppy, Jun 15, 2009

  2. Boppy

    peterwn Guest

    On Jun 15, 5:38 pm, Boppy <> wrote:
    > I'm staying at my dad's house in Auckland and he's given me the SSID
    > and WEP details to access his wireless broadband. However, he tells me
    > the technician (since departed) deliberately set it up as "hidden" so
    > other people couldn't find/hack into it.
    >
    > Clicking on my Vista toolbar network icon, a bunch of security-enabled
    > networks come up but none have his name. Two are un-named and when I
    > click on them I am asked to enter the network name. I've typed in the
    > name Dad gave me and then the password, but neither works.
    >
    > Assuming neither of these are Dad's network, how would I go about
    > finding his?
    >
    > I have my Telecom T-stick but cannot connect to my Outlook Exchange
    > Server with that connection and a week of having to use the Domainz
    > web client will drive me mental. I first told their technicians about
    > the issue in December and they still haven't fixed it, but that's
    > another long and sad story.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for advice on how to solve either dilemma.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Jo

    If the Exchange server is accessible via dial-up or broadband, it
    should be available via T-stick. There should be no difference.

    If your father knows the wireless router local IP address and password
    you can 'unhide' it. Try IP 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1, or 10.1.1.1
    with user: admin password: admin which may work.

    peterwn, Jun 15, 2009

  3. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    On Jun 15, 6:07 pm, peterwn <> wrote:
    > On Jun 15, 5:38 pm, Boppy <> wrote:
    >

    > > I'm staying at my dad's house in Auckland and he's given me the SSID
    > > and WEP details to access his wireless broadband. However, he tells me
    > > the technician (since departed) deliberately set it up as "hidden" so
    > > other people couldn't find/hack into it.

    > > Clicking on my Vista toolbar network icon, a bunch of security-enabled
    > > networks come up but none have his name. Two are un-named and when I
    > > click on them I am asked to enter the network name. I've typed in the
    > > name Dad gave me and then the password, but neither works.

    > > Assuming neither of these are Dad's network, how would I go about
    > > finding his?

    > > I have my Telecom T-stick but cannot connect to my Outlook Exchange
    > > Server with that connection and a week of having to use the Domainz
    > > web client will drive me mental. I first told their technicians about
    > > the issue in December and they still haven't fixed it, but that's
    > > another long and sad story.

    > > Thanks in advance for advice on how to solve either dilemma.

    > > Cheers,
    > > Jo

    > If the Exchange server is accessible via dial-up or broadband, it
    > should be available via T-stick. There should be no difference.
    >
    > If your father knows the wireless router local IP address and password
    > you can 'unhide' it. Try IP 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1, or 10.1.1.1
    > with user: admin password: admin which may work.

    Thanks for router suggestion - can I do that on my laptop or should
    it be done on his desktop?

    I agree that Exchange Server should work. I wish it were true. But
    this is Telecom and 3G ...

    Might give the experts on the Outlook group a go at this one too.

    Boppy, Jun 15, 2009
  4. Boppy

    Enkidu Guest

    Boppy wrote:
    > On Jun 15, 6:07 pm, peterwn <> wrote:
    >> On Jun 15, 5:38 pm, Boppy <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> I'm staying at my dad's house in Auckland and he's given me the
    >>> SSID and WEP details to access his wireless broadband. However,
    >>> he tells me the technician (since departed) deliberately set it
    >>> up as "hidden" so other people couldn't find/hack into it.
    >>> Clicking on my Vista toolbar network icon, a bunch of
    >>> security-enabled networks come up but none have his name. Two are
    >>> un-named and when I click on them I am asked to enter the network
    >>> name. I've typed in the name Dad gave me and then the password,
    >>> but neither works. Assuming neither of these are Dad's network,
    >>> how would I go about finding his? I have my Telecom T-stick but
    >>> cannot connect to my Outlook Exchange Server with that connection
    >>> and a week of having to use the Domainz web client will drive me
    >>> mental. I first told their technicians about the issue in
    >>> December and they still haven't fixed it, but that's another long
    >>> and sad story. Thanks in advance for advice on how to solve
    >>> either dilemma. Cheers, Jo

    >> If the Exchange server is accessible via dial-up or broadband, it
    >> should be available via T-stick. There should be no difference.
    >>
    >> If your father knows the wireless router local IP address and
    >> password you can 'unhide' it. Try IP 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1,
    >> or 10.1.1.1 with user: admin password: admin which may work.

    > Thanks for router suggestion - can I do that on my laptop or should
    > it be done on his desktop?
    >
    > I agree that Exchange Server should work. I wish it were true. But
    > this is Telecom and 3G ...
    >
    > Might give the experts on the Outlook group a go at this one too.

    I can access our Exchange Server using a T-stick.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jun 15, 2009
  5. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    On Jun 15, 6:27 pm, Enkidu <> wrote:
    > Boppy wrote:

    > >> If the Exchange server is accessible via dial-up or broadband, it
    > >> should be available via T-stick. There should be no difference.

    > >> If your father knows the wireless router local IP address and
    > >> password you can 'unhide' it. Try IP 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1,
    > >> or 10.1.1.1 with user: admin password: admin which may work.

    > > Thanks for router suggestion - can I do that on my laptop or should
    > > it be done on his desktop?

    > > I agree that Exchange Server should work. I wish it were true. But
    > > this is Telecom and 3G ...

    > > Might give the experts on the Outlook group a go at this one too.

    > I can access our Exchange Server using a T-stick.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff
    >
    > --
    >
    > The Internet is interesting in that although the nicknames may change,
    > the same old personalities show through.

    Hey, really?

    Are you with Domainz? Is it a Telecom T-stick? Are you on Outlook 07?

    Do you have to change anything in account setup when switching between
    T-stick and your usual day-to-day connection method?

    Cheers,
    Jo

    Boppy, Jun 15, 2009
  6. Re: Exchange Server won't work with T-Stick: How to access my dad's hidden wireless?

    In message <b185d11d-7b31-4c2c-aee2-
    >, Boppy wrote:

    > I'm staying at my dad's house in Auckland and he's given me the SSID
    > and WEP details to access his wireless broadband. However, he tells me
    > the technician (since departed) deliberately set it up as "hidden" so
    > other people couldn't find/hack into it.

    Sounds like he's turned off SSID broadcasts, which is actually a stupid
    thing to do <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=454>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 15, 2009
  7. Boppy

    Enkidu Guest

    Boppy wrote:
    > On Jun 15, 6:27 pm, Enkidu <> wrote:
    >> Boppy wrote:
    >>> Thanks for router suggestion - can I do that on my laptop or should
    >>> it be done on his desktop?
    >>> I agree that Exchange Server should work. I wish it were true. But
    >>> this is Telecom and 3G ...
    >>> Might give the experts on the Outlook group a go at this one too.

    >> I can access our Exchange Server using a T-stick.
    >>
    >> The Internet is interesting in that although the nicknames may change,
    >> the same old personalities show through.

    > Hey, really?
    >
    > Are you with Domainz? Is it a Telecom T-stick? Are you on Outlook 07?

    No. Do you connect directly to the Exchange Server or through a RAS
    server or something?

    > Do you have to change anything in account setup when switching between
    > T-stick and your usual day-to-day connection method?

    I don't need to change between using the T-stick and being online to the
    LAN.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jun 15, 2009
  8. Boppy

    EMB Guest

    Boppy wrote:
    > Hey, really?
    >
    > Are you with Domainz? Is it a Telecom T-stick? Are you on Outlook 07?

    WTF does Domainz have to do with the equation? I look after about 150
    users who happily access Exchange servers using Outlook 2003 or 2007 via
    T-sticks.

    > Do you have to change anything in account setup when switching between
    > T-stick and your usual day-to-day connection method?

    No, no and no. Also not when using a Vodem, hooking to public wifi, nor
    connecting to the network via VPN.

    EMB, Jun 15, 2009
  9. Boppy

    Enkidu Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Boppy wrote:
    >> Hey, really?
    >>
    >> Are you with Domainz? Is it a Telecom T-stick? Are you on Outlook 07?

    > WTF does Domainz have to do with the equation? I look after about 150
    > users who happily access Exchange servers using Outlook 2003 or 2007 via
    > T-sticks.

    Domainz hosts the Exchange server, perhaps? I'm unsure if she is
    accessing it via a "VPN" and a perhaps a RAS or directly via MAPI (I
    sincerely hope not!!)

    Enkidu, Jun 15, 2009
  10. Boppy

    EMB Guest

    Enkidu wrote:

    > Domainz hosts the Exchange server, perhaps? I'm unsure if she is
    > accessing it via a "VPN" and a perhaps a RAS or directly via MAPI (I
    > sincerely hope not!!)

    Ummmmm - guess what I discovered a new client was doing today? And
    guess what they will no longer be doing tomorrow?

    EMB, Jun 15, 2009
  11. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    > >> Are you with Domainz? Is it a Telecom T-stick? Are you on Outlook 07?

    > > WTF does Domainz have to do with the equation? I look after about 150
    > > users who happily access Exchange servers using Outlook 2003 or 2007 via
    > > T-sticks.

    > Domainz hosts the Exchange server, perhaps? I'm unsure if she is
    > accessing it via a "VPN" and a perhaps a RAS or directly via MAPI (I
    > sincerely hope not!!)

    Yes it is a Domainz hosted server, the helpdesk is based in Australia.
    I have no problems connecting to the internet with the T-Stick, just
    can't get Outlook to speak to the exchange server. Equally, the
    Exchange Server is happy with any other wireless inernet connection
    and I never have to change the settings between different wireless
    networks.

    As for ... I'm unsure if she is
    > accessing it via a "VPN" and a perhaps a RAS or directly via MAPI (I
    > sincerely hope not!!)

    I don't know.

    Boppy, Jun 16, 2009
  12. Boppy

    Martin Guest

    "Boppy" <> wrote in message

    >> > WTF does Domainz have to do with the equation? I look after about 150
    >> > users who happily access Exchange servers using Outlook 2003 or 2007
    >> > via
    >> > T-sticks.

    >> Domainz hosts the Exchange server, perhaps? I'm unsure if she is
    >> accessing it via a "VPN" and a perhaps a RAS or directly via MAPI (I
    >> sincerely hope not!!)
    >>

    > Yes it is a Domainz hosted server, the helpdesk is based in Australia.
    > I have no problems connecting to the internet with the T-Stick, just
    > can't get Outlook to speak to the exchange server. Equally, the
    > Exchange Server is happy with any other wireless inernet connection
    > and I never have to change the settings between different wireless
    > networks.
    >
    > As for ... I'm unsure if she is
    >> accessing it via a "VPN" and a perhaps a RAS or directly via MAPI (I
    >> sincerely hope not!!)

    > I don't know.

    She will be using rpc over https which is perfectly fine for me using a Voda
    3G stick, wlans all over the place etc.

    It only requires port 443 so if she can get to the Outlook Web Access page
    for the hosted email then full Outlook should also work ok...

    can you get to this page https://webmail.kingscollege.school.nz/ (Its just
    an example don't try and login)

    If you can't then port 443 is being blocked

    Martin, Jun 16, 2009
  13. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    On Jun 16, 12:27 pm, "Martin" <> wrote:
    > "Boppy" <> wrote in message

    > >> Domainz hosts the Exchange server, perhaps? I'm unsure if she is
    > >> accessing it via a "VPN" and a perhaps a RAS or directly via MAPI (I
    > >> sincerely hope not!!)

    > > Yes it is a Domainz hosted server, the helpdesk is based in Australia.
    > > I have no problems connecting to the internet with the T-Stick, just
    > > can't get Outlook to speak to the exchange server. Equally, the
    > > Exchange Server is happy with any other wireless inernet connection
    > > and I never have to change the settings between different wireless
    > > networks.

    > > As for ... I'm unsure if she is
    > >> accessing it via a "VPN" and a perhaps a RAS or directly via MAPI (I
    > >> sincerely hope not!!)

    > > I don't know.

    > She will be using rpc over https which is perfectly fine for me using a Voda
    > 3G stick, wlans all over the place etc.
    >
    > It only requires port 443 so if she can get to the Outlook Web Access page
    > for the hosted email then full Outlook should also work ok...
    >
    > can you get to this pagehttps://webmail.kingscollege.school.nz/(Its just
    > an example don't try and login)
    >
    > If you can't then port 443 is being blocked

    Yep, got to that page, also can get to the OWA page which is how I'm
    accessing my email at present but it's a bloody useless system, like
    Outlook would have been 20 years ago. Telecom also assured me they
    were blocking no ports.

    Here are my current settings, just in case anyone can spot something
    obvious I should change:

    http://files.getdropbox.com/u/403824/exchange settings remote mail.jpg
    http://files.getdropbox.com/u/403824/exchange settings connection.jpg
    http://files.getdropbox.com/u/403824/exchange settings security.jpg
    http://files.getdropbox.com/u/403824/exchange settings advanced.jpg
    http://files.getdropbox.com/u/403824/exchange settings general.jpg

    Cheers,
    Jo

    Boppy, Jun 16, 2009
  14. Boppy

    Martin Guest

    "Boppy" <> wrote in message
    > On Jun 16, 12:27 pm, "Martin" <> wrote:
    >> "Boppy" <> wrote in message

    >> > Yes it is a Domainz hosted server, the helpdesk is based in Australia.
    >> > I have no problems connecting to the internet with the T-Stick, just
    >> > can't get Outlook to speak to the exchange server. Equally, the
    >> > Exchange Server is happy with any other wireless inernet connection
    >> > and I never have to change the settings between different wireless
    >> > networks.

    >> > As for ... I'm unsure if she is

    >> > I don't know.

    >> She will be using rpc over https which is perfectly fine for me using a
    >> Voda
    >> 3G stick, wlans all over the place etc.
    >>
    >> It only requires port 443 so if she can get to the Outlook Web Access
    >> page
    >> for the hosted email then full Outlook should also work ok...
    >>
    >> can you get to this pagehttps://webmail.kingscollege.school.nz/(Its just
    >> an example don't try and login)
    >>
    >> If you can't then port 443 is being blocked

    > Yep, got to that page, also can get to the OWA page which is how I'm
    > accessing my email at present but it's a bloody useless system, like
    > Outlook would have been 20 years ago. Telecom also assured me they
    > were blocking no ports.
    >

    > Here are my current settings, just in case anyone can spot something
    > obvious I should change:
    >
    > http://files.getdropbox.com/u/403824/exchange settings remote mail.jpg
    > http://files.getdropbox.com/u/403824/exchange settings connection.jpg
    > http://files.getdropbox.com/u/403824/exchange settings security.jpg
    > http://files.getdropbox.com/u/403824/exchange settings advanced.jpg
    > http://files.getdropbox.com/u/403824/exchange settings general.jpg
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Jo

    Photo2 - connection - you don't have "Connect to Microsoft Exchange using
    HTTP" ticked - and in there you should have the external name of the domainz
    exchange server and a few other settings - domainz should have provided that
    info..

    Martin, Jun 16, 2009