    -setup encountered an error while trying to contact the Windows Active
    Directory. The error was:
    -Failed to connect the Schema Master server for this Active Directory forest

    =?Utf-8?B?R2V0IE15IENlcnRpZmljYXRpb24gT24gTGlieWE=, Nov 8, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?R2V0IE15IENlcnRpZmljYXRpb24gT24gTGlieWE=

    CBIC Guest

    "Get My Certification On Libya"
    <> wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > I install the domain controller into the server and create the domain ,

    <snipped for brevity>

    OK I'm going to help you solve this but before I do you must tell me what
    you've already done. What research have you done, sites visited, steps
    already tried to correct this problem. I don't run a soup line here. No
    handouts but handups.

    CBIC, Nov 8, 2006

  3. "Get My Certification On Libya" wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > I install the domain controller into the server and create the domain ,
    > after the install the (forestprep) for Exchange server2003 ,and bring new
    > computer install windows server 2003 and make this computer member of that
    > domain I want to install Exchange Server 2003 I install all services before
    > install the Exchange when start to install the Exchange exactly (Domian prep)
    > I receive this massage
    >

    > "The component "Microsoft Exchange Domain Preparation" cannot assigned the
    > action "domainPrep" because:
    > -setup encountered an error while trying to contact the Windows Active
    > Directory. The error was:
    > -Failed to connect the Schema Master server for this Active Directory forest

    I have no idea what are you talking about. You need to rewrite your
    statement so everybody could understand. However, there are few steps you
    should know about installing Exchange (been there myself).
    1. You have to be member of Enterprise Administrator, Schema Administrator,
    Domain Administrator, Local Administrator, and Exchange Full Administrator
    roles.
    2. Run ForestPrep only on the computer holding Schema Master role (usually
    is the PDC).
    3. Wait at least 2 hours for AD replication occur, or go to AD site and
    services and force a replication.
    4. Verify that AD replication has finished.
    5. Run DomainPrep on all domain controllers.
    6. Install Exchange with System Manager option only (whether on the PDC or
    members, it's your choice). This way, you can assign yourself Full Exchange
    Administrator role.
    7. Now you can install Exchange.

    My recommendation is not to install Exchange on PDC if you have lots of AD
    replication going on. Good luck

    =?Utf-8?B?RHJhZ29uIFdpdGhvdXQgV2luZ3M=?=, Nov 8, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?R2V0IE15IENlcnRpZmljYXRpb24gT24gTGlieWE=

    BD[MCNGP] Guest

    I've found that when installing the Small Business Server version, you can
    pretty much bypass most of that. SBS made life so much easier. ;)

    NOT that this has anything to do with installing the full version of Exch,
    I'm just saying...

    BD[MCNGP], Nov 8, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?R2V0IE15IENlcnRpZmljYXRpb24gT24gTGlieWE=

    CBIC Guest

    > My recommendation is not to install Exchange on PDC if you have lots of AD
    > replication going on. Good luck

    Now that's a handout. How is the OP ever going to learn anything if you
    spoon feed him. IMO anyone installing Exchange should know better than to
    look for help in an MCSE cert NG.

    CBIC, Nov 8, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?R2V0IE15IENlcnRpZmljYXRpb24gT24gTGlieWE=

    Briscobar Guest

    > 6. Install Exchange with System Manager option only (whether on the PDC
    > or
    > members, it's your choice). This way, you can assign yourself Full
    > Exchange
    > Administrator role.

    By PDC, I assume you just mean DC. But anyway, I wouldn't even do that.
    Exchange is smart enough to know when it's in a domain, so it will go find a
    DC and install AD Users and Computers on the Exchange box. Then you can play
    with AD from the Exchange server without having AD actually installed.
    Unless you're in a small environment with just one or two DC's. Then you
    might as well install Exchange on a DC.

    > My recommendation is not to install Exchange on PDC if you have lots of AD
    > replication going on. Good luck

    Echo.

    Briscobar, Nov 8, 2006
  7. "Briscobar" wrote:

    > "Dragon Without Wings" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > 6. Install Exchange with System Manager option only (whether on the PDC
    > > or
    > > members, it's your choice). This way, you can assign yourself Full
    > > Exchange
    > > Administrator role.

    > By PDC, I assume you just mean DC. But anyway, I wouldn't even do that.
    > Exchange is smart enough to know when it's in a domain, so it will go find a
    > DC and install AD Users and Computers on the Exchange box. Then you can play
    > with AD from the Exchange server without having AD actually installed.
    > Unless you're in a small environment with just one or two DC's. Then you
    > might as well install Exchange on a DC.
    >
    > > My recommendation is not to install Exchange on PDC if you have lots of AD
    > > replication going on. Good luck

    > Echo.

    That's true. However, I have seen lot of people install Exchange on primary
    domain controller (NT 4.0), or just like you said domain controller, instead
    of install it on a member server or a desktop with server O.S. running on it.
    SBS I assum is easier to install Exchange because itselft already function
    as an email server. Am I right?

    =?Utf-8?B?RHJhZ29uIFdpdGhvdXQgV2luZ3M=?=, Nov 8, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?R2V0IE15IENlcnRpZmljYXRpb24gT24gTGlieWE=

    Briscobar Guest

    > "Briscobar" wrote:
    >

    >> "Dragon Without Wings" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > 6. Install Exchange with System Manager option only (whether on the
    >> > PDC
    >> > or
    >> > members, it's your choice). This way, you can assign yourself Full
    >> > Exchange
    >> > Administrator role.

    >> By PDC, I assume you just mean DC. But anyway, I wouldn't even do that.
    >> Exchange is smart enough to know when it's in a domain, so it will go
    >> find a
    >> DC and install AD Users and Computers on the Exchange box. Then you can
    >> play
    >> with AD from the Exchange server without having AD actually installed.
    >> Unless you're in a small environment with just one or two DC's. Then you
    >> might as well install Exchange on a DC.
    >>
    >> > My recommendation is not to install Exchange on PDC if you have lots of
    >> > AD
    >> > replication going on. Good luck

    >> Echo.
    >>

    > That's true. However, I have seen lot of people install Exchange on
    > primary
    > domain controller (NT 4.0), or just like you said domain controller,
    > instead
    > of install it on a member server or a desktop with server O.S. running on
    > it.
    > SBS I assum is easier to install Exchange because itselft already function
    > as an email server. Am I right?

    I don't know a thing about SMS. But FYI, a desktop with a server OS running
    on it IS a server. As long as its hardware specs allow it to run Exchange
    (and Windows Server 2003, or any other compatible Server OS), it can be an
    exchange server. It doesn't have to be a multi-processor, 8GB RAM, a TB of
    RAID 10 storage. It can be a high end desktop machine with Server 2003 on
    it, and it will run a small Exchange environment just fine. In fact, I have
    that at my house.

    We had Exchange 5.5 installed on a DC here, and when we moved to 2003, we
    had some issues with OWA. So we had to call up MS. While on the phone, they
    relayed to us that they reccommend installing Exchange 2003 on a member
    server, not a DC. So since it was still Saturday morning and no one needed
    email until Monday, we figured what the heck, let's do it right. So we moved
    it to a Member Server. Honestly, we have only about 100 users, so we have a
    small setup. Thus, I haven't noticed much of a difference in the way
    Exchange behaves, or the network in general. But whatever, we're up to snuff
    as far as MS is concerned.

    KB

    Briscobar, Nov 8, 2006
  9. "Briscobar" wrote:

    > I don't know a thing about SMS. But FYI, a desktop with a server OS running
    > on it IS a server.

    That's is true. However, notice how I said: MEMBER server (which is a
    secondary or backup domain controller), and a desktop with a server OS
    running on it (which as you said is a server). Those are totally 2 different
    things. One is with AD and the other isn't. Am I right :)

    As long as its hardware specs allow it to run Exchange
    > (and Windows Server 2003, or any other compatible Server OS), it can be an
    > exchange server. It doesn't have to be a multi-processor, 8GB RAM, a TB of
    > RAID 10 storage. It can be a high end desktop machine with Server 2003 on
    > it, and it will run a small Exchange environment just fine. In fact, I have
    > that at my house.

    Totally agree.

    =?Utf-8?B?RHJhZ29uIFdpdGhvdXQgV2luZ3M=?=, Nov 9, 2006
  10. =?Utf-8?B?R2V0IE15IENlcnRpZmljYXRpb24gT24gTGlieWE=

    Briscobar Guest

    > "Briscobar" wrote:
    >
    >> I don't know a thing about SMS. But FYI, a desktop with a server OS
    >> running
    >> on it IS a server.

    > That's is true. However, notice how I said: MEMBER server (which is a
    > secondary or backup domain controller), and a desktop with a server OS
    > running on it (which as you said is a server). Those are totally 2
    > different
    > things. One is with AD and the other isn't. Am I right :)

    Not exactly. Are you still stuck in the NT4 days? Because there are no PDCs
    and BDCs anymore. There are PDC emulators, but that's only for the folks
    still running NT. A server that's had dcpromo run on it, and hence has AD,
    is a Domain Controller. Plain old DC. Not a BDC or PDC. A Windows 2000
    Server or Windows Server 2003 machine that has not been promoted to a DC
    does not have AD installed. It is just a member server. It's a member of the
    AD domain, but it's not doing anything with AD (unless it's something like
    an Exchange Server, which uses AD, but doesn't necessarily have AD
    installed).

    Briscobar, Nov 9, 2006
  11. =?Utf-8?B?R2V0IE15IENlcnRpZmljYXRpb24gT24gTGlieWE=

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "Briscobar" <> say in

    >> That's is true. However, notice how I said: MEMBER server (which is
    >> a secondary or backup domain controller), and a desktop with a server
    >> OS running on it (which as you said is a server). Those are totally
    >> 2 different
    >> things. One is with AD and the other isn't. Am I right :)

    > Not exactly. Are you still stuck in the NT4 days? Because there are no
    > PDCs and BDCs anymore. There are PDC emulators, but that's only for
    > the folks still running NT. A server that's had dcpromo run on it, and
    > hence has AD, is a Domain Controller. Plain old DC. Not a BDC or PDC.
    > A Windows 2000 Server or Windows Server 2003 machine that has not been
    > promoted to a DC does not have AD installed. It is just a member
    > server. It's a member of the AD domain, but it's not doing anything
    > with AD (unless it's something like an Exchange Server, which uses AD,
    > but doesn't necessarily have AD installed).

    I'm not going to get into a FSMO debate nor am I going to discuss the
    appropriateness of the installation points DC functionality of lack there
    of. I am going to point out that a MEMEBER server is, was and likely
    always will be Windows server that has no domain controller functionality
    but is a member of the domain.

    1 point for Kenny..kinda

    And the only diff between a real server running Windows AD/Server and a
    destop PC running Windows AD/server is one uses crappy hardware and the
    other is a desktop PC. I can make the desktop PC run AD just like any
    other pizza box.

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X
    PotD 10/23/2006

    - Blessed is the end-user who expects nothing, for he shall not be
    dissapointed.

    Neil, Nov 9, 2006
  12. =?Utf-8?B?R2V0IE15IENlcnRpZmljYXRpb24gT24gTGlieWE=

    Briscobar Guest

    > I'm not going to get into a FSMO debate nor am I going to discuss the
    > appropriateness of the installation points DC functionality of lack there
    > of. I am going to point out that a MEMEBER server is, was and likely
    > always will be Windows server that has no domain controller functionality
    > but is a member of the domain.

    Whew. Yeah, we don't wanna dive deep into the depths of the nether void that
    is complex windows networking. I was just pointing out that a simple server
    with AD in a simple network environment is a DC. And a simple server without
    AD in a simple network environment is a "MEMEBER" server (zing.)

    > 1 point for Kenny..kinda

    Good enough.

    > And the only diff between a real server running Windows AD/Server and a
    > destop PC running Windows AD/server is one uses crappy hardware and the
    > other is a desktop PC. I can make the desktop PC run AD just like any
    > other pizza box.

    That's what I was saying yesterday.

    Briscobar, Nov 9, 2006
  13. =?Utf-8?B?R2V0IE15IENlcnRpZmljYXRpb24gT24gTGlieWE=

    Neil Guest

    did you hear JaR <> say in

    >> is one uses crappy hardware and the
    >> other is a desktop PC

    > Soooo....yer sayin six o one, half doz o the other? |-D

    if it's dell it's hell

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X
    PotD 10/23/2006

    - If you think you are a person of influence, try ordering around someone
    else's dog. -- Will Rogers

    Neil, Nov 9, 2006
  14. =?Utf-8?B?R2V0IE15IENlcnRpZmljYXRpb24gT24gTGlieWE=

    JaR Guest

    On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 10:06:49 -0800, Neil cast into the ether:

    > is one uses crappy hardware and the
    > other is a desktop PC

    Soooo....yer sayin six o one, half doz o the other? |-D

    --
    JaR
    MCNGP 22
    "All Hardware Sucks" ~SDM Motto
    Remove hat to reply

    JaR, Nov 9, 2006
  15. "JaR" wrote:

    > On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 10:06:49 -0800, Neil cast into the ether:
    >
    > > is one uses crappy hardware and the
    > > other is a desktop PC

    > Soooo....yer sayin six o one, half doz o the other? |-D
    >
    > --
    > JaR
    > MCNGP 22
    > "All Hardware Sucks" ~SDM Motto
    > Remove hat to reply

    Got me there. It's just not my day :). I just don't know what the heck I
    am talking about any more. Probably still because of the hangover LOL.

    Remove hat to reply to Briscobar

    =?Utf-8?B?RHJhZ29uIFdpdGhvdXQgV2luZ3M=?=, Nov 9, 2006
  16. =?Utf-8?B?R2V0IE15IENlcnRpZmljYXRpb24gT24gTGlieWE=

    JaR Guest

    On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 11:23:02 -0800, Dragon Without Wings cast into the
    ether:

    > Remove hat to reply to Briscobar

    No, with Biscobar you remove wallet.

    --
    JaR
    MCNGP 22

    JaR, Nov 9, 2006
  17. =?Utf-8?B?R2V0IE15IENlcnRpZmljYXRpb24gT24gTGlieWE=

    Neil Guest

    did you hear JaR <> say in

    >> Remove hat to reply to Briscobar

    > No, with Biscobar you remove wallet.

    still better than Con telling em to remove mypants to reply...

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X
    PotD 10/23/2006

    - Press [ESC] to detonate or any other key to explode.

    Neil, Nov 9, 2006
  18. "Neil" wrote:

    > did you hear JaR <> say in
    >
    > >> Remove hat to reply to Briscobar

    > > No, with Biscobar you remove wallet.
    > >

    > still better than Con telling em to remove mypants to reply...
    >
    > --
    > The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X
    > PotD 10/23/2006
    >
    > - Press [ESC] to detonate or any other key to explode.

    I thought you were taking pills for EDS, weren't you ?

    =?Utf-8?B?RHJhZ29uIFdpdGhvdXQgV2luZ3M=?=, Nov 9, 2006
  19. =?Utf-8?B?R2V0IE15IENlcnRpZmljYXRpb24gT24gTGlieWE=

    Neil Guest

    did you hear =?Utf-8?B?RHJhZ29uIFdpdGhvdXQgV2luZ3M=?=
    <> say in news:C456F9D7-43D9-4865-8CB2-
    :

    > I thought you were taking pills for EDS, weren't you ?

    what do they have to do with my issues:

    http://www.eds.com/

    sure, I've hired away some of thier people and they give me headaches...OH!
    I GET IT!!!!

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X
    PotD 10/23/2006

    - MONEY TALKS... but all mine ever says is GOODBYE!

    Neil, Nov 9, 2006
  20. "Neil" wrote:

    > what do they have to do with my issues:
    >
    > http://www.eds.com/
    >
    > sure, I've hired away some of thier people and they give me headaches...OH!
    > I GET IT!!!!
    >
    > --
    > The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X
    > PotD 10/23/2006
    >
    > - MONEY TALKS... but all mine ever says is GOODBYE!

    You still don't get it, do you ? LOL. Not even a single woman in this world
    would want to see you pulling down your pant while you have the EDS (Erectile
    Dysfunction Symptom). he..he...hee...

    =?Utf-8?B?RHJhZ29uIFdpdGhvdXQgV2luZ3M=?=, Nov 10, 2006