    I still have an un-open XP Pro version, and wondered how can I exchange it
    for a 64 bit version?
    Thanks
    =?Utf-8?B?UXVhblZ1?=, Jan 10, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?UXVhblZ1?=

    Rick Guest

    The only way you might "exchange" it, is if you take it back to where
    you purchased it from and they "exchange" it for you.

    Other than that there is no "Exchange Program."

    I guess you could sell it to someone and then buy Win x64.

    Rick, Jan 10, 2006

  3. Boy! this might be a problem for my brother-outlaw :)
    I got this as a gift from him, who is a Msoftie. Then my son also received
    a free copy of XP-Pro from MS after testing their games. Does MS store
    exchange these types? I guessed we can't sell them right?
    Thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?UXVhblZ1?=, Jan 10, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?UXVhblZ1?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You guessed it that Microsoft Store won't be any use, but there should be no
    reason why you couldn't sell the unopened XP Pro

    John Barnes, Jan 10, 2006
  5. Unfortunately, John is wrong on this one. The copies from the MS store can
    not be resold and are identified as to whose account they came from. That
    being said, you could certainly work an exchange with someone who had
    purchased x64 Edition and found it didn't meet their needs. As long as they
    hadn't activated their copy, I don't see an issue.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 11, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?UXVhblZ1?=

    John Barnes Guest

    If you receive a free copy of XP as compensation of sorts for testing games,
    it would almost be illegal for Microsoft not to allow someone to sell it, or
    use it in any way they wanted.

    John Barnes, Jan 11, 2006
  7. If NFR is on the packaging, then you cannot resell it.
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa, Jan 11, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?UXVhblZ1?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You are right if it is. There isn't enough info to know what the situation
    is.

    John Barnes, Jan 11, 2006
  9. Thanks for all replies. I am appreciated that.
    I guessed that perhaps I will use the 32 bit XP-Pro for awhile, while
    waiting for the
    Vista became available, since I don't wanted my Bro-in-law get into any
    trouble. For
    the free copy from my son, I will let him use whatever he wished. The only
    reason I
    wanted the 64 bit version is that I wanted to see if any improvement with
    Photoshop
    and Adobe Premier 1.5, which is a 'heavy duty' appl., but since they're only
    32 bits
    appl., perhaps not much improvement to run with XP-64.
    QV

    =?Utf-8?B?UXVhblZ1?=, Jan 11, 2006
  10. I've gotten enough stuff from the Company Store to know that all software is
    NFR there.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 11, 2006
  11. Free, physical, copies you receive from beta programs are NOT the same as
    company store copies. Beta payback copies are almost always full retail,
    except when there is no retail copy. (Such as the beta payback copies we got
    for beta testing x64 Edition, for example. Those were download only.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 11, 2006
  12. =?Utf-8?B?UXVhblZ1?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Does sound like Microsoft. You test some game for them and they give you a
    NFR version of the operating system you already have. Then you legally have
    to pay taxes on something that is useless to you. Guess the best bet is to
    reject it ahead of time. Or cheat on your taxes? Thankfully the only free
    item I got from Microsoft was a $500 check. It wasn't NSF.

    John Barnes, Jan 11, 2006
  13. I thought there was some big old white NFR sticker on the Company store
    ones?

    Andre Da Costa, Jan 11, 2006
  14. Yes, company store software has NFR sticker on it. Beta payback copies do
    NOT come from the company store.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64