excessive collisions

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Lisa Casey, Oct 20, 2006.

  1. Lisa Casey

    Lisa Casey Guest

    Hi,

    I have a cisco 2600 series router that has been functioning quite normally
    for a couple of years. Within the last 2-3 weeks, I've been getting
    %AMDP2_FE-5-EXCESSCOLL: Ethernet0/0 TDR=1, TRC=0
    errors sent to my syslog. My sho int ethernet0/0 is as follows:

    Ethernet0/0 is up, line protocol is up
    Hardware is AmdP2, address is 0002.16bb.64a0 (bia 0002.16bb.64a0)
    Internet address is 208.44.26.1/23
    MTU 1500 bytes, BW 10000 Kbit, DLY 1000 usec,
    reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
    Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
    Keepalive set (10 sec)
    ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00
    Queueing strategy: fifo
    Output queue 0/40, 137 drops; input queue 0/75, 30 drops
    117808771 packets input, 2851115318 bytes, 0 no buffer
    11226 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 11226 ignored
    105960040 packets output, 441677166 bytes, 0 underruns
    0 babbles, 0 late collision, 1019742 deferred
    0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier

    I have googled this, and read that excessive collisions is often caused by
    bad cabling/connectors. I also read that the TDR can be used to pinpoint
    where along the cabling the fault may lie. There is supposedly an equation
    that will help me figure out what the TDR=1 means as far as where a cable
    fault might be but I can't find that equation. Can someone help?

    Thanks,

    Lisa Casey

    Lisa Casey, Oct 20, 2006

  2. Hi Lisa,

    Cisco Error Message:

    %AMDP2_FE-5-EXCESSCOLL:

    Ethernet or Fast Ethernet is seeing multiple collisions.

    This condition may occur under heavy loads.

    If an interface fails to allocate a slot in which it can transmit its
    frame without another collision for 16 times, it will not retry the
    operation.

    The frame is not transmitted and is marked as an excessive collision.

    -------------------------------------

    Cisco's Recommended Action:

    The system should recover.

    No action is required.

    -------------------------------------

    Hope this helps.

    Brad Reese
    BradReese.Com - Cisco Repair
    1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
    Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
    USA & Canada: 877-549-2680
    International: 828-277-7272
    Fax: 775-254-3558
    AIM: R2MGrant
    http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-power-supply-inventory.htm

    www.BradReese.Com, Oct 20, 2006

  3. Lisa Casey

    Houston SBC Guest

    You can also get excessive collisions if the duplex settings do not match
    between the E0./0 port and whatever you are attached to. Beware the low end
    switches produced by Linksys,etc. I have had to power cycle the cheap and
    expensisve swithes to get duplex settings to match.

    Years ago one of my occasional customers spent in excess of 100K
    reprogramming their apps, because data transfer was taking over 9 hours on a
    100Mbps ethernet.

    I found a duplex mis-match and resolved it. The transfer then took 8
    minutes. Do not trust auto sensing equipment-CHECK both ends and if possible
    manually set the duplex and speed settings.

    Digital Doug
    Systems Analyst

    Houston SBC, Oct 26, 2006
  4. Lisa Casey

    Todd H. Guest

    "Houston SBC" <> writes:

    > You can also get excessive collisions if the duplex settings do not
    > match

    Good point. Auto negotiating has been a big problem for us too and we
    tpyically will set it specifically on all our cisco gear.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

    Todd H., Oct 26, 2006