    Wonder why does it happen? Is there a difference in between Connection and
    Internet?

    Thanks for any help on this.

    MapleE., Jul 10, 2008

  2. MapleE.

    John Guest

    "MapleE." <someone|@comcast.net> wrote in message
    news:...

    > I am NOT able to get 'Internet.' It happens since last nite on both
    > Wireless and Wired.

    This is proof that there is problem with your internet connection (modem
    <--> internet) regardless of connection between PCs and router. Btw, wired
    connection does not give you connection status (poor, good, excellent etc)
    like wireless.

    > There are four(4) XP in my household and none is able to access
    > 'Internet,' although there
    > is all 'excellent' connection with the ISP, Comcast.

    What makes you think the connection to the ISP is "excellent"? You said it
    above that all PCs are unable to get to the internet.

    > My question is;
    > Wonder why does it happen? Is there a difference in between Connection
    > and Internet?

    Yep. You can have excellent connection between PCs and router (or networked
    PCs in the LAN) but if you unplug your cable modem, you have no internet
    connection.

    Take your router out of the picture. Hook up a PC directly to your cable
    modem. See if you can access the internet.

    John, Jul 10, 2008

  3. MapleE.

    Joan Archer Guest

    Do you have Zone Alarm as the firewall and did you install the Microsoft
    updates this week ?

    --
    Joan Archer
    http://www.freewebs.com/crossstitcher

    Joan Archer, Jul 10, 2008
  4. MapleE.

    MapleE. Guest

    Thanks for the response.

    When I started to subscribe, Comcast technician came to my house for all
    network, since I have no confidence to do that work, network.

    Router and Modem combo. that Comcast tech. told me, then it's only one, not
    two, router and modem, ... it's Gateway.

    Also, when I un-uplugged and plugged it back, I can get Internet, but that
    never occurred before.

    Is there any way for me to get Internet?

    Thanks,

    MapleE., Jul 10, 2008
  5. MapleE.

    iPC Guest

    Just happened to a friend. He got a MS Auto Update yesterday and suddenly,
    wifi connection but no surfing. I lowered his ZoneAlarm Internet Zone
    setting to Medium and he's running again.

    iPC, Jul 10, 2008
  6. Hi
    If all pcs can not connect to the Internet then I doubt very much that it is
    the PC faults.
    It would help if you describe your Network devices and general connections.
    If you have a router, do your PCs get local IP, and are you capable to log
    to the Router's menu system?
    http://www.ezlan.net/ip_mac.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jul 10, 2008
  7. MapleE.

    > Thanks for the response.
    >
    > Router and Modem combo. that Comcast tech. told me, then it's only one,
    > not two, router and modem, ... it's Gateway.

    Ok, so it's a modem + router combo (as 1 device). My earlier reply is still
    valid. That is, you can have excellent connection to the router but if
    there's connection problem to the internet, you don't have internet access.

    > Also, when I un-uplugged and plugged it back, I can get Internet, but that
    > never occurred before.

    That happens every now and then but shouldn't happen too often. Easiest
    solution is to unplug the power, wait a few seconds, plug it back in.

    > Is there any way for me to get Internet?

    You just said "I can get Internet"... so what's the problem?

    John, Jul 10, 2008
  8. MapleE.

    Barb Bowman Guest

    what EXACTLY do you mean by "Internet" vs. Connection. Are you
    trying to tell us that you cannot browse the web as opposed to use
    other applications?

    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless
    68.49.239.240" tells me that you are in Maryland and successfully
    have a Comcast IP and are using Outlook Express successfully.

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 16:27:09 -0400, "MapleE." <someone|@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >Thanks for the response.
    >
    >When I started to subscribe, Comcast technician came to my house for all
    >network, since I have no confidence to do that work, network.
    >
    >Router and Modem combo. that Comcast tech. told me, then it's only one, not
    >two, router and modem, ... it's Gateway.
    >
    >Also, when I un-uplugged and plugged it back, I can get Internet, but that
    >never occurred before.
    >
    >Is there any way for me to get Internet?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >

    >"John" <a> wrote in message news:...
    >>
    >> "MapleE." <someone|@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I am NOT able to get 'Internet.' It happens since last nite on both
    >>> Wireless and Wired.

    >> This is proof that there is problem with your internet connection (modem
    >> <--> internet) regardless of connection between PCs and router. Btw, wired
    >> connection does not give you connection status (poor, good, excellent etc)
    >> like wireless.
    >>
    >>> There are four(4) XP in my household and none is able to access
    >>> 'Internet,' although there
    >>> is all 'excellent' connection with the ISP, Comcast.

    >> What makes you think the connection to the ISP is "excellent"? You said it
    >> above that all PCs are unable to get to the internet.
    >>
    >>> My question is;
    >>> Wonder why does it happen? Is there a difference in between Connection
    >>> and Internet?

    >> Yep. You can have excellent connection between PCs and router (or
    >> networked PCs in the LAN) but if you unplug your cable modem, you have no
    >> internet connection.
    >>
    >> Take your router out of the picture. Hook up a PC directly to your cable
    >> modem. See if you can access the internet.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Jul 11, 2008
  9. MapleE.

    MapleE. Guest

    Thanks all for the responses and imputs.

    In regard to 'connection,' it was in perfect shape, 'excellent' on both
    wireless and Lan.
    The issue I encountered was 'Internet,' thus NO web-sites showed-up.

    I did un-plug and plugged it back in order to get Internet, which I needed
    to do more than
    five times. Normally, only once I did for getting on Internet. Then, I
    felt something was
    awfully wrong with. Even, I suspected Comcast was doing 'maintenance' or
    some work that
    inteferred 'getting Internet.' However, this is my pure-guess.

    Luckily, since last-nite, all PCs, four XPs got Internet instantamously upon
    clicking 'icon' I.E.

    As seeing this, above including this morning typing this response, hopefully
    everything is OK, ...
    no more losing Internet, since I love Comcast even though there was quite a
    hassle for about
    18 hours or so, ... un-plug and plugged it back to get Internet more than
    five times.

    Thanks again,

    MapleE., Jul 11, 2008
  10. "MapleE." <someone|@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Router and Modem combo. that Comcast tech. told me, then it's only one,
    > not two, router and modem, ... it's Gateway.

    Yes, if this is a business account and uses a "static" IP number then the
    customer is "forced" to use the device they call a "Comcast Business
    Gateway" that has the Cable Modem and the NAT Firewall ("router") built into
    the same device. However Comcast does not build these boxes
    themselves,..they are really some model of a SVC box (sorry, can't remember
    the exact model number). It has the UI split into two parts,...the part
    with the settings the customer can change,...and the part that only Comcast
    can get into.

    The SVC box has the ability to assign a Public IP# (or a series of them) to
    a Device/PC (or series of them) sitting immedately behind the box on the LAN
    and the SVC box would be more-or-less transparent.

    If the customer does not want a "static IP#" then the customer can use a
    variety of simple "modems" with a separate "router" or just a PC plugged
    straight into the modem. However Comcast may just still give them the same
    SVC box and be done with it since they only have to worry about one
    type/brand/model of a hardware device on the end of the line.

    I thought this might be helpful to know this.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Technet Library
    ISA2004
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc302436(TechNet.10).aspx
    ISA2006
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb898433(TechNet.10).aspx

    Understanding the ISA 2004 Access Rule Processing
    http://www.isaserver.org/articles/ISA2004_AccessRules.html

    Troubleshooting Client Authentication on Access Rules in ISA Server 2004
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/1/8/918ed2d3-71d0-40ed-8e6d-fd6eeb6cfa07/ts_rules.doc

    Microsoft Internet Security & Acceleration Server: Partners
    http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/partners/default.mspx

    Microsoft ISA Server Partners: Partner Hardware Solutions
    http://www.microsoft.com/forefront/edgesecurity/partners/hardwarepartners.mspx

    Phillip Windell, Jul 11, 2008
  11. MapleE.

    smlunatick Guest

    On Jul 11, 7:53 am, "MapleE." <> wrote:
    > Thanks all for the responses and imputs.
    >
    > In regard to 'connection,' it was in perfect shape, 'excellent' on both
    > wireless and Lan.
    > The issue I encountered was 'Internet,' thus NO web-sites showed-up.
    >
    > I did un-plug and plugged it back in order to get Internet, which I needed
    > to do more than
    > five times.  Normally, only once I did for getting on Internet.  Then, I
    > felt something was
    > awfully wrong with.  Even, I suspected Comcast was doing 'maintenance' or
    > some work that
    > inteferred 'getting Internet.'  However, this is my pure-guess.
    >
    > Luckily, since last-nite, all PCs, four XPs got Internet instantamously upon
    > clicking 'icon' I.E.
    >
    > As seeing this, above including this morning typing this response, hopefully
    > everything is OK, ...
    > no more losing Internet, since I love Comcast even though there was quite a
    > hassle for about
    > 18 hours or so, ... un-plug and plugged it back to get Internet more than
    > five times.
    >
    > Thanks again,
    >
    > "MapleE." <> wrote in message

    > > Hi:
    > > Even through there says, ... 'excellent connection' on an icon of tiny
    > > computer on the right bottom
    > > of system tray, .... I am NOT able to get 'Internet.'  It happens since
    > > last nite on both Wireless and
    > > Wired.  There are four(4) XP in my household and none is able to access
    > > 'Internet,' although there
    > > is all 'excellent' connection with the ISP, Comcast.

    > > My question is;
    > > Wonder why does it happen?  Is there a difference in between Connection
    > > and Internet?

    > > Thanks for any help on this.- Hide quoted text -

    Check with any / all firewall softwares, including several anti-virus
    system that blovk Internet worm type viruses. These software now
    come "configured" to block NetBIOS name resolution and several also
    block SSIDs for the wireless networks, You need to configure these to
    allow access.

    smlunatick, Jul 11, 2008
  12. MapleE.

    MarkSatterfield

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2008
    Messages:
    77
    Location:
    Central Florida
    So you are saying you can't enter "www.google.com" into a web browser?

    Do the following two tests:

    1)
    In the web browser, enter the following url:

    http://64.233.187.99/

    If you get google, then you have a DNS issue.

    2)
    If the http to an address does not work, then go to a command prompt, enter "ping 64.233.187.99"

    If that works, then you are likely getting a google response, and it has to do with port 80 being blocked.

    If that does not work, then report back what does happen.

    --Mark
    http://www.marksatterfield.com

    MarkSatterfield, Jul 12, 2008
  13. MapleE.

    Grampy Pete Guest

    Google your issue to read about the conflict between sp2 + sp3 and wireless
    internet.
    --
    Grampy Pete

    Grampy Pete, Jul 21, 2008