Excel will not open

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by fred, Sep 6, 2004.

  1. fred

    fred Guest

    Windows 98SE, latest updates

    Pentuim II
    320 MB RAM

    Office 2000, latest updates

    Spyware Blaster Version 3.2, free, updated daily
    Spybot Search & Destroy version 1.3, free, updated daily
    Ad-Aware version 6.0 Standard, free, updated daily
    Kasperski AV version 4.5.0.94, paid, automatically updated daily

    Excel will not open.
    Causes fatal exception OE 0167:BFF9DFFF

    I repaired office. I removed Office and re-installed office.

    I ran MEM from DOS. Looks OK to me.

    I have searched and searched. Found words and sentences, but nothing
    helpful.

    What do I do now?

    Thank you in advance,

    Fred

    The secret is to seize the opportunities, avoid the pitfalls,
    and get home by six . . . Woody Allen
    fred, Sep 6, 2004

  2. fred

    Lyndon F Guest

    fred <> stated:

    > Windows 98SE, latest updates
    >
    > Pentuim II
    > 320 MB RAM
    >
    > Office 2000, latest updates
    >
    > Spyware Blaster Version 3.2, free, updated daily
    > Spybot Search & Destroy version 1.3, free, updated daily
    > Ad-Aware version 6.0 Standard, free, updated daily
    > Kasperski AV version 4.5.0.94, paid, automatically updated daily
    >
    > Excel will not open.
    > Causes fatal exception OE 0167:BFF9DFFF
    >
    > I repaired office. I removed Office and re-installed office.
    >
    > I ran MEM from DOS. Looks OK to me.
    >
    > I have searched and searched. Found words and sentences, but
    > nothing helpful.
    >
    > What do I do now?
    >
    > Thank you in advance,
    >
    > Fred

    Try these groups.
    microsoft.public.excel.misc
    microsoft.public.office.misc
    Lyndon F, Sep 6, 2004

  3. fred

    fred Guest

    Lyndon,

    Thank you.

    I looked for another newsgroup, but never thought to look under
    "microsoft" Sounds pretty stupid of me. I'll get this "Usenet" thing
    figured out someday.

    Thanks so much. I can always count on this group for answers or to
    steer me in the right direction.

    Fred
    fred, Sep 6, 2004
  4. fred

    fred Guest

    Just in case someone else cares about this or similar problems,
    I found the answer at microsoft.public.excel.crashesgpfs.

    A working file - windows\applicationdata\microsoft\excel\excel.xlb
    was corrupt.

    I moved the file and excel opened like magic. It also instantly
    recreated the file without the corruption.

    Lyndon, Thanks again for the guidance.

    Fred
    fred, Sep 6, 2004
  5. fred

    Lyndon F Guest

    fred <> stated:

    > Just in case someone else cares about this or similar problems,
    > I found the answer at microsoft.public.excel.crashesgpfs.
    >
    > A working file - windows\applicationdata\microsoft\excel\excel.xlb
    > was corrupt.
    >
    > I moved the file and excel opened like magic. It also instantly
    > recreated the file without the corruption.
    >
    > Lyndon, Thanks again for the guidance.
    >
    > Fred

    Thank you too.
    Lyndon F, Sep 6, 2004