    conditions are false, put NO into the last cell.
    Appreciate any help.
    TIA

    BIGEYE, Nov 14, 2005

  2. BIGEYE wrote:

    > Just started using Excel 2003, used to use Lotus. Can anyone
    > tell me how to input a formula for this.
    > Three cells C1, D1, E1, each cell has a value.
    > Three other cells K1, L1, M1, each with values.
    > Another cell to test the condition as follows:
    > If K1<C1 and L1<D1 and M1<E1, put YES into the last cell. If any
    > of the conditions are false, put NO into the last cell.
    > Appreciate any help.
    > TIA

    =IF(K1<C1,IF(L1<D1,IF(M1<E1,"YES"),"NO"),"NO")

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all Google Groups posts.

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 14, 2005

  3. Blinky the Shark, <>, the congealed, sugar-coated fairy,
    and dealer in salted cow manure, bellowed:

    > BIGEYE wrote:
    >
    >> Just started using Excel 2003, used to use Lotus. Can anyone
    >> tell me how to input a formula for this.
    >> Three cells C1, D1, E1, each cell has a value.
    >> Three other cells K1, L1, M1, each with values.
    >> Another cell to test the condition as follows:
    >> If K1<C1 and L1<D1 and M1<E1, put YES into the last cell. If any
    >> of the conditions are false, put NO into the last cell.
    >> Appreciate any help.
    >> TIA

    > =IF(K1<C1,IF(L1<D1,IF(M1<E1,"YES"),"NO"),"NO")

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

    is but a dream within a dream.

    Lord Gazwad of Grantham, Nov 14, 2005
  4. BIGEYE

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:45:15 -0000, "BIGEYE" <address@is[invalid].ok>
    wrote:

    >Just started using Excel 2003, used to use Lotus. Can anyone tell me how to
    >input a formula for this.
    >Three cells C1, D1, E1, each cell has a value.
    >Three other cells K1, L1, M1, each with values.
    >Another cell to test the condition as follows:
    >If K1<C1 and L1<D1 and M1<E1, put YES into the last cell. If any of the
    >conditions are false, put NO into the last cell.

    IIRC same as Supercalc and Lotus , although it's been a while.

    cell for the answer

    =IF(test1,result1true,result1false)

    expand this out to

    =IF(test1,IF(test2,IF(test3,result3true,result3false),result2false),result1false)

    You simply nest a further test, where you need it.

    It works fine for up to 6 then it's tricky to keep things straight.

    Run XL , press F1 , for Help.
    IF_worksheet_function

    Me

    why?, Nov 14, 2005
  5. BIGEYE

    BIGEYE Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > BIGEYE wrote:
    >
    >> Just started using Excel 2003, used to use Lotus. Can anyone
    >> tell me how to input a formula for this.
    >> Three cells C1, D1, E1, each cell has a value.
    >> Three other cells K1, L1, M1, each with values.
    >> Another cell to test the condition as follows:
    >> If K1<C1 and L1<D1 and M1<E1, put YES into the last cell. If any
    >> of the conditions are false, put NO into the last cell.
    >> Appreciate any help.
    >> TIA

    > =IF(K1<C1,IF(L1<D1,IF(M1<E1,"YES"),"NO"),"NO")
    >
    > --
    > Blinky
    > Killing all Google Groups posts.
    > http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

    Thanks for that, now what if the expression was OR instead of AND.
    If K1<C1 or L1<D1 or M1<E1, put YES into the last cell. If any of the

    BIGEYE, Nov 14, 2005
  6. BIGEYE wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> BIGEYE wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just started using Excel 2003, used to use Lotus. Can anyone
    >>> tell me how to input a formula for this.
    >>> Three cells C1, D1, E1, each cell has a value.
    >>> Three other cells K1, L1, M1, each with values.
    >>> Another cell to test the condition as follows:
    >>> If K1<C1 and L1<D1 and M1<E1, put YES into the last cell. If
    >>> any of the conditions are false, put NO into the last cell.
    >>> Appreciate any help.
    >>> TIA

    >> =IF(K1<C1,IF(L1<D1,IF(M1<E1,"YES"),"NO"),"NO")

    > Thanks for that, now what if the expression was OR instead of
    > AND. If K1<C1 or L1<D1 or M1<E1, put YES into the last cell. If
    > any of the conditions are false, put NO into the last cell.
    > TIA

    Sorry, only the first joint is free. ;)

    (Just kidding; but what I gave you is all the Excel I feel like
    doing today. I'm an Open Office user (Linux) (I'm only here in
    Windows on a backup computer while I'm rebuilding my Linux box),
    and MS products give me hives. <g>)

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 14, 2005
  7. BIGEYE wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> BIGEYE wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just started using Excel 2003, used to use Lotus. Can anyone
    >>> tell me how to input a formula for this.
    >>> Three cells C1, D1, E1, each cell has a value.
    >>> Three other cells K1, L1, M1, each with values.
    >>> Another cell to test the condition as follows:
    >>> If K1<C1 and L1<D1 and M1<E1, put YES into the last cell. If
    >>> any of the conditions are false, put NO into the last cell.
    >>> Appreciate any help.
    >>> TIA

    >> =IF(K1<C1,IF(L1<D1,IF(M1<E1,"YES"),"NO"),"NO")
    >> --
    >> Blinky

    > Thanks for that, now what if the expression was OR instead of
    > AND. If K1<C1 or L1<D1 or M1<E1, put YES into the last cell. If
    > any of the conditions are false, put NO into the last cell.
    > TIA

    Second response: oh, what the heck... :)

    =OR(K1<C1,L1<D1,M1<E1)

    Actually, you could do the same for your first quesiton,
    substituting "AND" for "OR". I didn't think about that until you
    asked the "OR" question -- I'm so used to using IF statements that I
    just automatically went that way for your first question.

    Now -- start looking in Excel's function help when you need this
    kinda stuff, eh? Thanks.

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 14, 2005
  8. why? wrote:

    > On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:45:15 -0000, "BIGEYE"
    > <address@is[invalid].ok> wrote:
    >
    >>Just started using Excel 2003, used to use Lotus. Can anyone
    >>tell me how to input a formula for this.
    >>Three cells C1, D1, E1, each cell has a value.
    >>Three other cells K1, L1, M1, each with values.
    >>Another cell to test the condition as follows:
    >>If K1<C1 and L1<D1 and M1<E1, put YES into the last cell. If any
    >>of the conditions are false, put NO into the last cell.

    > IIRC same as Supercalc and Lotus , although it's been a while.
    >
    > cell for the answer
    >
    >=IF(test1,result1true,result1false)
    >
    > expand this out to
    >
    >=IF(test1,IF(test2,IF

    (test3,result3true,result3false),result2false
    >),result1false)

    It's interesting that like me, you didn't suggest the AND
    function, either. See my responses to OP -- I'm just used to
    using IF statements, and didn't think about AND until he asked
    about OR in a followup. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 14, 2005
  9. BIGEYE

    > BIGEYE wrote:
    >
    >> "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    >>> =IF(K1<C1,IF(L1<D1,IF(M1<E1,"YES"),"NO"),"NO")
    >>> --
    >>> Blinky

    >> Thanks for that, now what if the expression was OR instead of
    >> AND. If K1<C1 or L1<D1 or M1<E1, put YES into the last cell. If
    >> any of the conditions are false, put NO into the last cell.
    >> TIA

    > Second response: oh, what the heck... :)
    >
    > =OR(K1<C1,L1<D1,M1<E1)
    >
    > Actually, you could do the same for your first quesiton,
    > substituting "AND" for "OR". I didn't think about that until you
    > asked the "OR" question -- I'm so used to using IF statements that I
    > just automatically went that way for your first question.
    >
    > Now -- start looking in Excel's function help when you need this
    > kinda stuff, eh? Thanks.
    >

    > --
    > Blinky
    > Killing all Google Groups posts.
    > http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

    Going back to the AND, it works OK when all conditions are true, YES gets
    put in the formula cell. But if one of them becomes false, then FALSE gets
    put in the cell instead of NO.
    If I use AND as in your second suggestion, I end up with #value in the
    formula cell.

    BIGEYE, Nov 14, 2005
  10. BIGEYE, <address@is[invalid].ok>, the oblique, wayward moldwarp, and
    employee responsible for building high stone walls from small pebbles using
    dog shit for mortar, buzzed:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> BIGEYE wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    >>> Thanks for that, now what if the expression was OR instead of
    >>> AND. If K1<C1 or L1<D1 or M1<E1, put YES into the last cell. If
    >>> any of the conditions are false, put NO into the last cell.
    >>> TIA

    >> Second response: oh, what the heck... :)
    >>
    >> =OR(K1<C1,L1<D1,M1<E1)
    >>
    >> Actually, you could do the same for your first quesiton,
    >> substituting "AND" for "OR". I didn't think about that until you
    >> asked the "OR" question -- I'm so used to using IF statements that I
    >> just automatically went that way for your first question.
    >>
    >> Now -- start looking in Excel's function help when you need this
    >> kinda stuff, eh? Thanks.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Blinky
    >> Killing all Google Groups posts.
    >> http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

    > Going back to the AND, it works OK when all conditions are true, YES
    > gets put in the formula cell. But if one of them becomes false, then
    > FALSE gets put in the cell instead of NO.
    > If I use AND as in your second suggestion, I end up with #value in the
    > formula cell.

    What do you expect when you listen to a dumb **** like that, eh?

    is but a dream within a dream.

    Lord Gazwad of Grantham, Nov 14, 2005
  11. BIGEYE wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> BIGEYE wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    >>> Thanks for that, now what if the expression was OR instead of
    >>> AND. If K1<C1 or L1<D1 or M1<E1, put YES into the last cell.
    >>> If any of the conditions are false, put NO into the last cell.
    >>> TIA

    >> Second response: oh, what the heck... :)
    >>
    >> =OR(K1<C1,L1<D1,M1<E1)
    >>
    >> Actually, you could do the same for your first quesiton,
    >> substituting "AND" for "OR". I didn't think about that until
    >> you asked the "OR" question -- I'm so used to using IF
    >> statements that I just automatically went that way for your
    >> first question.
    >>
    >> Now -- start looking in Excel's function help when you need
    >> this kinda stuff, eh? Thanks.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Blinky
    >> Killing all Google Groups posts.
    >> http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

    > Going back to the AND, it works OK when all conditions are true,
    > YES gets put in the formula cell. But if one of them becomes
    > false, then FALSE gets put in the cell instead of NO.
    > If I use AND as in your second suggestion, I end up with #value
    > in the formula cell.

    Works here.

    So use my first solution for your original question - the IF
    statements.

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 14, 2005
  12. BIGEYE

    > BIGEYE wrote:
    >
    >> "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    >>> Second response: oh, what the heck... :)
    >>>
    >>> =OR(K1<C1,L1<D1,M1<E1)
    >>>
    >>> Actually, you could do the same for your first quesiton,
    >>> substituting "AND" for "OR". I didn't think about that until
    >>> you asked the "OR" question -- I'm so used to using IF
    >>> statements that I just automatically went that way for your
    >>> first question.
    >>>
    >>> Now -- start looking in Excel's function help when you need
    >>> this kinda stuff, eh? Thanks.
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Blinky
    >>> Killing all Google Groups posts.
    >>> http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

    >> Going back to the AND, it works OK when all conditions are true,
    >> YES gets put in the formula cell. But if one of them becomes
    >> false, then FALSE gets put in the cell instead of NO.
    >> If I use AND as in your second suggestion, I end up with #value
    >> in the formula cell.

    > Works here.
    >
    > So use my first solution for your original question - the IF
    > statements.
    >
    > --
    > Blinky
    > Killing all Google Groups posts.
    > http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

    Managed to get it working. Thanks.

    BIGEYE, Nov 14, 2005
  13. BIGEYE wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> BIGEYE wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    >>> Going back to the AND, it works OK when all conditions are
    >>> true, YES gets put in the formula cell. But if one of them
    >>> becomes false, then FALSE gets put in the cell instead of NO.
    >>> If I use AND as in your second suggestion, I end up with
    >>> #value in the formula cell.

    >> Works here.
    >>
    >> So use my first solution for your original question - the IF
    >> statements.

    > Managed to get it working. Thanks.

    You're welcome.

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 14, 2005
  14. BIGEYE

    why? Guest

    On 14 Nov 2005 21:48:32 GMT, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >why? wrote:
    >

    >> On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:45:15 -0000, "BIGEYE"
    >> <address@is[invalid].ok> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Just started using Excel 2003, used to use Lotus. Can anyone
    >>>tell me how to input a formula for this.
    >>>Three cells C1, D1, E1, each cell has a value.
    >>>Three other cells K1, L1, M1, each with values.
    >>>Another cell to test the condition as follows:
    >>>If K1<C1 and L1<D1 and M1<E1, put YES into the last cell. If any
    >>>of the conditions are false, put NO into the last cell.

    <snip>

    >>=IF(test1,IF(test2,IF

    >(test3,result3true,result3false),result2false
    >>),result1false)

    >It's interesting that like me, you didn't suggest the AND
    >function, either. See my responses to OP -- I'm just used to
    >using IF statements, and didn't think about AND until he asked
    >about OR in a followup. :)

    As ugly as nested IF is written out as I did I found more people
    understand it that way. When trying *logic* it's an issue :)

    It's not too difficult for 3 tests but that's as about as far as I ever
    used it in that form, except once in a tutorial.

    If I saw the other posts earlier, was doing a backup (very important) I
    might have changed the answer as well.

    Me

    why?, Nov 14, 2005
  15. why? wrote:

    > On 14 Nov 2005 21:48:32 GMT, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >>why? wrote:

    > <snip>
    >
    >>>=IF(test1,IF(test2,IF
    >>>(test3,result3true,result3false),result2false ),result1false)

    >>It's interesting that like me, you didn't suggest the AND
    >>function, either. See my responses to OP -- I'm just used to
    >>using IF statements, and didn't think about AND until he asked
    >>about OR in a followup. :)

    > As ugly as nested IF is written out as I did I found more people
    > understand it that way. When trying *logic* it's an issue :)

    I dunno about that. An AND statment is a lot more intuitive
    because of the lack of a need for nesting.

    > It's not too difficult for 3 tests but that's as about as far as
    > I ever used it in that form, except once in a tutorial.

    I think I've gone as far as six levels in Real Life. Flawlessly
    logical; and very ugly. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 14, 2005