    I applied SP1; same response time. There is no SP2. It jumps next to
    SP3.

    Tony

    tommy bobit, Sep 14, 2003

  2. tommy bobit

    Boomer Guest

    tommy bobit said:

    > I am running a 450 MHZ machine with 384 MB memory and XP Pro. I
    > have a large spreadsheet that takes nearly two minutes to
    > recalculate when I switch tabs. I was running Excel 2000 SP3.
    >
    > My friend is running a 600 MHZ machine with 256 MB memory and XP
    > Pro. Using the spreadsheet that I mailed him, he can do the same
    > task in 20 seconds or less. He is running Excel 2000, native
    > installation.
    >
    > I found something about updating the registry with a "CHARLOTTE"
    > entry if you had SP3 on Excel. I tried that, same response time.
    > I removed/reinstalled Office; same response time. I verified
    > that the Excel was a clean install.
    >
    > I applied SP1; same response time. There is no SP2. It jumps
    > next to SP3.
    >
    > Tony

    Hi

    You might try asking in an Excell newsgroup also.

    Boomer, Sep 14, 2003

  3. tommy bobit

    Boomer Guest

    Boomer said:

    > tommy bobit said:
    >
    >> I am running a 450 MHZ machine with 384 MB memory and XP Pro. I
    >> have a large spreadsheet that takes nearly two minutes to
    >> recalculate when I switch tabs. I was running Excel 2000 SP3.
    >>
    >> My friend is running a 600 MHZ machine with 256 MB memory and XP
    >> Pro. Using the spreadsheet that I mailed him, he can do the same
    >> task in 20 seconds or less. He is running Excel 2000, native
    >> installation.
    >>
    >> I found something about updating the registry with a "CHARLOTTE"
    >> entry if you had SP3 on Excel. I tried that, same response time.
    >> I removed/reinstalled Office; same response time. I verified
    >> that the Excel was a clean install.
    >>
    >> I applied SP1; same response time. There is no SP2. It jumps
    >> next to SP3.
    >>
    >> Tony

    > Hi
    >
    > You might try asking in an Excell newsgroup also.

    Excel group!

    Boomer, Sep 14, 2003
  4. Howdy!

    "tommy bobit" <> wrote in message
    > I am running a 450 MHZ machine with 384 MB memory and XP Pro. I have a
    > large spreadsheet that takes nearly two minutes to recalculate when I
    > switch tabs. I was running Excel 2000 SP3.

    What at 450MHz? A K6-2 at 450MHz isn't the same as a P2 or P3 at
    450MHz, for instance. Plus, what kind of memory?

    > My friend is running a 600 MHZ machine with 256 MB memory and XP Pro.
    > Using the spreadsheet that I mailed him, he can do the same task in 20
    > seconds or less. He is running Excel 2000, native installation.

    Sounds like you've got an AMD K6-2 processor, and your friend has an
    Athlon or P2/P3 processor.

    That is probably just about right, between the two.

    > I found something about updating the registry with a "CHARLOTTE" entry
    > if you had SP3 on Excel. I tried that, same response time. I
    > removed/reinstalled Office; same response time. I verified that the
    > Excel was a clean install.
    >
    > I applied SP1; same response time. There is no SP2. It jumps next to
    > SP3.
    >
    > Tony

    Sorry - your question is?

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Sep 15, 2003
  5. tommy bobit

    tommy bobit Guest

    My machine is a Dell P2. The others are also Pentiums.

    My question is "why is the response time so much greater?".

    tommy bobit, Sep 15, 2003
  6. tommy bobit

    tommy bobit Guest

    Thanks! I didn't realize they existed. I found a few and will try one
    or two of them.

    Tony

    tommy bobit, Sep 15, 2003
  7. Howdy!

    > My machine is a Dell P2. The others are also Pentiums.
    >
    > My question is "why is the response time so much greater?".

    A Dell P2? Are the others also Dell P3s?

    It could be the P3 SSE instructions coming into play.

    Then again, it could be because Dells suck for performance ... and
    always have.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Sep 15, 2003
  8. tommy bobit

    JabberSmith Guest

    > I am running a 450 MHZ machine with 384 MB memory and XP Pro. I have a
    > large spreadsheet that takes nearly two minutes to recalculate when I
    > switch tabs. I was running Excel 2000 SP3.
    >
    > My friend is running a 600 MHZ machine with 256 MB memory and XP Pro.
    > Using the spreadsheet that I mailed him, he can do the same task in 20
    > seconds or less. He is running Excel 2000, native installation.
    >
    > I found something about updating the registry with a "CHARLOTTE" entry
    > if you had SP3 on Excel. I tried that, same response time. I
    > removed/reinstalled Office; same response time. I verified that the
    > Excel was a clean install.
    >
    > I applied SP1; same response time. There is no SP2. It jumps next to
    > SP3.
    >
    > Tony

    Tony,

    In my opinion, a 450 is under powered for XP.

    To help with the current computer, you may want to consider an extra 256 of
    RAM (total 512).

    Also note, your hard drive speed, memory speed and BUS (motherboard) speed
    will effect things, likewise, the crap that runs in the background.
    Especially anti-virus software.

    Defrag your disk too, you may have a fragged one and your pal not so much.

    JabberSmith, Sep 16, 2003
  9. tommy bobit

    tommy bobit Guest

    One of the other machines is a P2 and the other is a P3. That means it
    runs fast on a P2.

    This is the only application on my machine that does not have a
    comparable resonse time to my friends machines.

    Tony

    tommy bobit, Sep 16, 2003
  10. tommy bobit

    tommy bobit Guest

    My machine has 384 MB, max capacity for the machine. My friend's 600
    MHZ machine only has 256 MB and is also running XP Pro and beats mine
    for this application.

    I feel that the machine ran a little faster with WIN2K, but I never
    timed anything. The slowdown is barely noticeable and not
    objectionable. Unfortunately, I cannot go back to WIN2K; erase the
    drive and reinstall everything is not an option.

    I am also running 2 hard drives, with the swap file on the second
    drive.

    I turned off the anti-virus and get the same response time. Firewall
    is a router.

    Tony

    tommy bobit, Sep 16, 2003