Excel Files losing file extension, temporarily, file renames itself...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Shane, Apr 21, 2004.

  1. Shane

    Shane Guest

    Our company has a windows 2000 network, our file server (win2k server)
    is our backup domain controller, dhcp server, and also hosts norton
    antivirus corporate edition. Virus updates run daily. All clients
    are Win2k, service pack 4.

    We have 3 users that have had an incident where a spreadsheet they
    were using suddenly dissapeared. In its place, a file appears that is
    the same size, but is named something different, usually a random
    assortment of letters and numbers. (There is no file extension on the
    file...) About 50% of the time, if we try to open that new file (or
    files, at one point there were 3 of them) it just opens as the
    spreadsheet, but with a different name. other times, the file wouldnt
    open. In all cases, the spreadsheet has somehow reverted back to its
    original name, and everything seems ok.

    The server that we store our documents on is the server for our norton
    antivirus, as i said, updates are run daily. I cannot figure out how
    windows knew to opne the new file with excel, since it didnt have a
    file extension. Anyone have ideas on what this could be?

    Shane, Apr 21, 2004

  2. Shane

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Shane" <> wrote in message
    > Our company has a windows 2000 network, our file server (win2k server)
    > is our backup domain controller, dhcp server, and also hosts norton
    > antivirus corporate edition. Virus updates run daily. All clients
    > are Win2k, service pack 4.
    >
    > We have 3 users that have had an incident where a spreadsheet they
    > were using suddenly dissapeared. In its place, a file appears that is
    > the same size, but is named something different, usually a random
    > assortment of letters and numbers. (There is no file extension on the
    > file...) About 50% of the time, if we try to open that new file (or
    > files, at one point there were 3 of them) it just opens as the
    > spreadsheet, but with a different name. other times, the file wouldnt
    > open. In all cases, the spreadsheet has somehow reverted back to its
    > original name, and everything seems ok.
    >
    > The server that we store our documents on is the server for our norton
    > antivirus, as i said, updates are run daily. I cannot figure out how
    > windows knew to opne the new file with excel, since it didnt have a
    > file extension. Anyone have ideas on what this could be?

    Try posting this in a newsgroup related to Windows servers...

    microsoft.public.windows.server.general or others

    Toolman

    Toolman Tim, Apr 22, 2004