Excel 2003

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Malcolm, Jul 16, 2005.

  1. Malcolm

    Malcolm Guest

    Hi Folks,

    I use MS Office 2003 at work and none of our support people can solve
    this problem. Some people use Excel and floppy disks to store their
    weekly reports. When a person opens a file on their floppy disk and
    does their work and then saves it on the floppy all is fine. However
    the next time someone opens Excel, before Excel can open the program
    it tries to open the floppy disk for 15 or 20 second before the Excel
    will load. Sometimes it will not load and hangs up. The same terminal
    is used by many different people. I have set all the options I can
    find, such as, zero most recent documents, no automatic backup save. I
    have checked all the shortcuts to see if the "Start In" location is My
    Documents. If you open and close Excel three or four times and let it
    search the floppy the problem goes away until the next time
    someone works with a floppy. I think the answer is a hack in the
    registry somewhere but I don't know where.

    Any ideas would be appreciated.

    Malcolm
    Later,
    Malcolm

    Malcolm, Jul 16, 2005

  2. Malcolm

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Malcolm" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I use MS Office 2003 at work and none of our support people can solve
    > this problem. Some people use Excel and floppy disks to store their
    > weekly reports. When a person opens a file on their floppy disk and
    > does their work and then saves it on the floppy all is fine. However
    > the next time someone opens Excel, before Excel can open the program
    > it tries to open the floppy disk for 15 or 20 second before the Excel
    > will load. Sometimes it will not load and hangs up. The same terminal
    > is used by many different people. I have set all the options I can
    > find, such as, zero most recent documents, no automatic backup save. I
    > have checked all the shortcuts to see if the "Start In" location is My
    > Documents. If you open and close Excel three or four times and let it
    > search the floppy the problem goes away until the next time
    > someone works with a floppy. I think the answer is a hack in the
    > registry somewhere but I don't know where.
    >
    > Any ideas would be appreciated.
    >
    > Malcolm
    > Later,
    > Malcolm

    Your people trust *FLOPPY DISKS* for data storage? I hope it's not important
    stuff. That is the most unreliable media available. We don't even buy floppy
    disks at work anymore.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 16, 2005

  3. Malcolm

    Malcolm Guest

    >Your people trust *FLOPPY DISKS* for data storage? I hope it's not important
    >stuff. That is the most unreliable media available. We don't even buy floppy
    >disks at work anymore.

    Yes they work fine. This is a training thing. It took forever to teach
    them how to save a file and they are stubborn and don't wan't to
    change. The data can always be retrieved from another source but it
    causes extra work.

    Can you provide any help???????

    Later,
    Malcolm

    Malcolm, Jul 16, 2005
  4. Malcolm

    Guest

    Malcolm wrote:

    > >Your people trust *FLOPPY DISKS* for data storage? I hope it's not important
    > >stuff. That is the most unreliable media available. We don't even buy floppy
    > >disks at work anymore.
    > >

    > Yes they work fine. This is a training thing. It took forever to teach
    > them how to save a file and they are stubborn and don't wan't to
    > change. The data can always be retrieved from another source but it
    > causes extra work.
    >
    > Can you provide any help???????
    >

    > Later,
    > Malcolm