    here recently, if so I missed it... has anyone heard of this great
    movie getting the treatment it deserves?

    PB

    Phatty Boombatty, Feb 7, 2004

  2. Phatty Boombatty

    Thomas Bell Guest

    Phatty Boombatty wrote:
    > I love this flick, but the DVD sucks! Sorry if this has been discussed
    > here recently, if so I missed it... has anyone heard of this great
    > movie getting the treatment it deserves?

    I agree. This is one movie along with "Greystoke - The Legend of Tarzan"
    that really deserves special treatment on dvd.

    Thomas Bell, Feb 7, 2004

  3. Phatty Boombatty

    TSKO Guest

    "Thomas Bell" <> wrote in message
    > Phatty Boombatty wrote:
    > > I love this flick, but the DVD sucks! Sorry if this has been discussed
    > > here recently, if so I missed it... has anyone heard of this great
    > > movie getting the treatment it deserves?

    > I agree. This is one movie along with "Greystoke - The Legend of Tarzan"
    > that really deserves special treatment on dvd.

    I think, just after looking over DigitalBits.com, that Greystoke SE is going
    to be released later this yr.......but you may want to check that out...I
    think I saw that title listed...

    TSKO, Feb 7, 2004
  4. >I love this flick, but the DVD sucks! Sorry if this has been discussed
    >here recently, if so I missed it... has anyone heard of this great
    >movie getting the treatment it deserves?

    Amen. The ghastly DVD is a textbook example of how a poorly framed transfer can
    totally muck up a film's visual impact. "Excalibur" begs for a proper upgrade.
    On this DVD, nearly every one of the film's signature images is skewed
    vertically, shuffled under the soft mattes. It's a travesty that ought righty
    disgust serious film lovers, let alone fans of "Excalibur" and cinematographers
    alike.

    If 'Excalibur' ever gets a proper remaster job on DVD, I trust the dork at the
    helm of the telecine will have the good grace to stay the **** awake during the
    transfer process this time. That, or I'll just relent and make my own DVD from
    my properly-matted laserdisc version -- the picture is a bit grainy, to be
    sure, but it's exquisitely framed -- and THAT is more important to this
    particular fan of the film.

    ....and don't get me STARTED on that execrable DVD cover, shat passionlessly out
    of the Warner art department pipeline. Can't someone cough up the satisfactory
    dough to license the original theatrical campaign?

    Stroke of Eight, Feb 7, 2004
  5. Phatty Boombatty

    profft Guest

    Don't you think one of the missed opportunities in the film was at the end,
    when Purcevil obeyed and cast Excalibur and when it was caught and pulled
    down, don't you think it should have been thrust up once more then back
    down?

    profft, Feb 7, 2004
  6. Phatty Boombatty

    JONA99 Guest

    The 5.1 mix on the DVD could also use some fixing. Starts out across the front
    speakers, then pretty much center channel only for great stretches of time,
    like the Sound Mixer fell asleep or something. Brilliant film though; one of
    my favorites.

    JONA99, Feb 8, 2004
  7. Phatty Boombatty

    Rutgar Guest

    On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 18:44:20 -0500, "profft" <>
    wrote:

    >Don't you think one of the missed opportunities in the film was at the end,
    >when Purcevil obeyed and cast Excalibur and when it was caught and pulled
    >down, don't you think it should have been thrust up once more then back
    >down?

    Er, no.

    - Rutgar

    Rutgar, Feb 8, 2004
  8. Phatty Boombatty

    profft Guest

    "Rutgar" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 18:44:20 -0500, "profft" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Don't you think one of the missed opportunities in the film was at the

    end,
    > >when Purcevil obeyed and cast Excalibur and when it was caught and pulled
    > >down, don't you think it should have been thrust up once more then back
    > >down?

    > Er, no.
    >
    > - Rutgar

    I do, to symbolically underscore Arthur's promice that one day a King would
    come and sword will rise again

    profft, Feb 8, 2004
  9. Phatty Boombatty

    Shrivel Guest

    "profft" <> wrote in message

    > "Rutgar" <> wrote in message
    > > On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 18:44:20 -0500, "profft" <>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >Don't you think one of the missed opportunities in the film was at the

    > end,
    > > >when Purcevil obeyed and cast Excalibur and when it was caught and

    pulled
    > > >down, don't you think it should have been thrust up once more then back
    > > >down?

    > > Er, no.
    > >
    > > - Rutgar

    > I do, to symbolically underscore Arthur's promice that one day a King

    would
    > come and sword will rise again

    Oh, I was thinking the repeated thrusting might be some sort of continuation
    of the sexual themes of the film...

    Shrivel, Feb 8, 2004
  10. Phatty Boombatty

    Dogbert Guest

    "Shrivel" <> wrote in message

    > "profft" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Rutgar" <> wrote in message

    the
    > > end,

    > pulled

    back

    > > > Er, no.
    > > >
    > > > - Rutgar

    > > I do, to symbolically underscore Arthur's promice that one day a King

    > would
    > > come and sword will rise again

    > Oh, I was thinking the repeated thrusting might be some sort of

    continuation
    > of the sexual themes of the film...

    Or what they should have done to the people in charge of releasing the DVD.

    Dogbert, Feb 9, 2004
  11. Phatty Boombatty

    Video Flyer Guest

    On 2/7/04 3:28 PM, in article , "Thomas Bell"
    <> wrote:

    > Phatty Boombatty wrote:
    >> I love this flick, but the DVD sucks! Sorry if this has been discussed
    >> here recently, if so I missed it... has anyone heard of this great
    >> movie getting the treatment it deserves?

    > I agree. This is one movie along with "Greystoke - The Legend of Tarzan"
    > that really deserves special treatment on dvd.

    What a GORGEOUS movie. More than a little bit mannered and cold for my taste
    now although when it was first released I was hip deep in my swords &
    sorcery, D&D phase and really got off on it.

    I'd buy a better, anamorphic transfer for the visuals alone. Sumptuous.
    That's the word. :)

    Neal

    Video Flyer, Feb 9, 2004
  12. Phatty Boombatty

    Biz Guest

    Maybe I've gotten a little complacent, but I didnt think Excalibur was that
    bad considering its age, also since I have the 10th anniversary DC editon of
    "Highlander" ;) I thought it looked every bit as good as say "The Stunt
    Man"

    Biz, Feb 10, 2004