    Any thoughts on the quality of selftest testprep questions?

    Hope somebody can take the time to put me on the right
    track. Many thanks.
    reders, Aug 23, 2003

  2. reders

    Rick Sears Guest

    You really need to have some hands on experience for the upper level exams.
    Most of the official MS training books come with a 180 day evaluation CD of
    the software the book is about. With the price of Computer hardware falling
    I would get two computers with the following specs.
    (1) PC to use as a server.
    1 GHz or better
    256 MB ram (512 if you can afford)
    1 20GB
    1 CD any speed
    2 hard drives any size ( not required but you could use to practice creating
    the various volume types)
    1 Ethernet card
    1 video card

    (1) PC to use as a workstation
    500 MHz or better
    128 MB ram (256 MB if you plan on loading XP)
    1 20 GB Hard Drive
    1 CD
    1 Ethernet Card
    1 Video Card

    other Items
    1 Ethernet crossover cable or 1 Ethernet hub with two patch cables

    I quickly looked on pricewatch.com and you can get all of this for under
    1000.00 dollars.

    I have been using the Measure Up test prep software and it seems to be very
    good. It provides explanations to the questions and the locations to look
    for additional information.

    The order you listed the test in is what I think is the best order. I say
    that because Server builds on what you learn in workstation and Managing
    networks builds on server and workstation.

    In addition to using the official MS books I would recommend Mike Myers
    Passport books. They offer a great review for the test but I would recommend
    you use them in combination with other sources.

    Hope this helps

    Rick

    Rick Sears, Aug 23, 2003

  3. reders

    Dan Ward Guest

    check out www.selftestsoftware.com for testing software thats as close to
    the real thing as you can get. Also, if you can get your hands on the W2K
    Resource Kit, it will give you good in-depth info that may prove useful on
    the 70-210 test. If you have little/no experience, you might take the tests
    in the order recommended by MS (210, then 215, 218). Be advised that you may
    see a fair amount of server (215) questions on the 210 test. I failed my 1st
    attempt at 210 for this reason -- use a combination of books.

    Dan Ward, Sep 4, 2003
  4. reders

    roYal Guest

    Cbt nuggets are also pretty good, but nowhere near gives you the full
    knowledge you need to know. It's more of a prepping material to give you a
    broad overview of what you need to know, more like an introduction.

    Also, QOD (Question of the day) sites are also good.
    A Good QOD site is, www.mcseworld.com.

    roYal, Sep 4, 2003