    correct, are considered distractor questions, and are an effort made by
    Microsoft to distract you from their answer. This is all an effort to get
    you to fail the exam (and thus pay again to re-take it).
    Jason, Sep 16, 2004

  2. Jason

    Caz Guest

    Tell me about it - failed the exam for this very reason

    Caz, Sep 16, 2004

  3. Jason

    T-Bone Guest

    "Jason" <> wrote in message
    > Fair warning to all yet to sit for 272. There are Microsoft's "best
    > practices" answers, and there are real world answers given as choices. Do
    > not let your real world experience sway you. The real world answers,

    while
    > correct, are considered distractor questions, and are an effort made by
    > Microsoft to distract you from their answer. This is all an effort to get
    > you to fail the exam (and thus pay again to re-take it).

    See the thread "Think you know the Microsoft Answer?" in the MCSE group for
    a good discussion of this topic.

    T-Bone
    T-Bone, Sep 16, 2004
  4. Jason

    Jason Guest

    As a follow-up to clarify my first post on the subject, I got the following
    email from jack drooger:

    >What a negative view of the "real world". Best practices includes knowing
    >how the product works AND the best method for helping a user solve

    problems.

    Let me now clarify my original comment, which in it's totality said:

    > > Fair warning to all yet to sit for 272. There are Microsoft's "best
    > > practices" answers, and there are real world answers given as choices.

    Do
    > > not let your real world experience sway you. The real world answers,

    > while
    > > correct, are considered distractor questions, and are an effort made by
    > > Microsoft to distract you from their answer. This is all an effort to

    get
    > > you to fail the exam (and thus pay again to re-take it).

    The point here is that there will always be a Microsoft way of doing things,
    and a way that solves the problem or issue more readily in the real world.
    This is not to diminish either approach. What I was trying to get at is
    that even in the IT industry, there are various shades of gray and multiple
    ways to solve a problem. The key to passing Microsoft exams is to know the
    MICROSFT way, and not to deviate from that in answering questions.

    For the more technically advanced questions, this becomes challenging as
    Microsoft intentionally (imho) puts in multiple correct answers to a
    question and expects you to distinguish which one THEY want. That is why
    the "non-Microsoft" answers are referred to as distractors. I am not
    speaking of the negative side of either answer, just letting the those
    desirous of certification that there are intentional obstacles thrown in
    your parth and to watch out for these distractors.
    Jason, Sep 16, 2004
  5. Jason

    Dave Guest

    Hi

    How could you possibly fail either exam, there were so easy, I passed them
    both in consecutive days.

    Dave

    Dave, Sep 24, 2004
  6. Jason

    T-Bone Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote
    > How could you possibly fail either exam, there were so easy, I passed them
    > both in consecutive days.

    Some are better at test than others. Just out of interest, what study tools
    did you use and what kind of previous IT experience do you have? What about
    Jason, the OP?

    T-Bone
    T-Bone, Sep 24, 2004
  7. Jason

    Dave Guest

    Hi

    The only tools I used was knowledge of the operating system - if you have
    used XP since it came out, you shouldn't have any problems passing the
    exams.

    I did read through some test questions as well.

    Dave

    Dave, Sep 24, 2004
  8. Jason

    mike Guest

    yo,

    I thought you got free retake if you in USA. at least
    once with VUE.

    mike, Sep 27, 2004