    ones.

    Thanks for any clues!

    Steve

    SteveH, Nov 26, 2008

  2. SteveH

    Montreal_MCT Guest

    Hi Steve,

    Good question... it depends on what exam you are talking about.

    Mitch Garvis
    Microsoft MVP: Essential Server Solutions
    http://garvis.ca/blogs

    Montreal_MCT, Nov 28, 2008

  3. SteveH

    SteveH Guest

    Hello M

    Thanks for your reply.

    Sorry, it was the MCDST exam.

    Cheers

    Steve

    SteveH, Nov 28, 2008
  4. SteveH

    Montreal_MCT Guest

    I do not remember, but you should know them... it's an easy thing to learn.

    Montreal_MCT, Nov 29, 2008
  5. First thing about the dynamic disks is that they only introduced with Windows
    2000 and available with Windows NT family of operating starting with Windows
    2000. Laptops do not support Dynamic disks. Irrespective of the file type
    (FAT32 or NTFS) windows 98, Windows Me won't be able to read if you convert
    the disk to dynamic disk. Converting basic disk to dynamic disk requires
    atleast 1MB free disk base and you won't be able to convert back to Basic
    disk without loosing the data. (Well you can back the data to some other
    media)

    I don't know what questions you get int he exam But basically you should the
    following. When it comes to exam nothing beats hands on experience. Just
    start -> Run -> diskmgmt.msc
    This will start the device management console. Alternatively you can also
    start by right clicking My Computer and choose manage then choose disk
    management.

    --
    Regards
    Regunathan Umapathy BSc, A+, MCP

    Umapathy (உமாபதி), Dec 7, 2008
  6. SteveH

    SteveH Guest

    Many thanks for your post Regunathan.

    Yes, I've briushed up on striped disks, etc - I'm just unsure why anyone
    would want to convert to dynamic disks. I've never come across that request
    before.

    Steve

    SteveH, Dec 12, 2008
  7. "SteveH" <> wrote in message
    > Many thanks for your post Regunathan.
    >
    > Yes, I've briushed up on striped disks, etc - I'm just unsure why anyone
    > would want to convert to dynamic disks. I've never come across that
    > request
    > before.

    Understanding what the purpose of dynamic disks are should quite easily
    answer the question of why someone would want to convert a Basic disk to a
    Dynamic disk.

    Or, in the alternative, look at all the several things you *cannot* do when
    a disk is not a Dynamic disk.

    First, a Basic disk still contains the core limitations on disk drives, four
    primary partitions, or three primary partitions and an extended partition
    with logical volumes. "A Dynamic Disk can be used for creating Dynamic
    Volumes. A Dynamic Volume can consist of a single partition, multiple
    partitions of a single drive, or multiple partitions of multiple physical
    hard drives. Dynamic Disks faciliate creation of simple volumes, spanned
    volumes, and striped volumes." [From Syngress/Osborne MCSE Windows 2000
    Professional Study Guide].

    The point here is what cannot be created from a Basic Disk: multiple
    partitions of multiple physical hard drives, which are used to create
    spanned volumes and striped volumes. In addition, a Dynamic Volume is
    resizable without rebooting a computer, a capability that does not exist in
    a Basic Disk.

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

    Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\), Dec 13, 2008
  8. SteveH

    SteveH Guest

    Hello Lawrence

    Thanks for your reply.

    That's cleared things up - it doesn't seem too complicated an issue to grasp.

    Cheers

    Steve

    SteveH, Dec 15, 2008