    objectives! Is this kind of overlap common? What 'extra' material do you
    need to pass 70-290? Id be interested to hear what people have experienced
    in their exams.
    GoodNightJones, May 1, 2006

  2. Well for one thing there are three courses that map to 70-290. Which course
    were you talking about?

    ..rev.mct.mcngp.44

    accepting it.
    ~Aristotle
    ..

    The Rev [MCT], May 2, 2006

  3. "The Rev [MCT]" <> wrote in message
    > Well for one thing there are three courses that map to 70-290. Which
    > course were you talking about?
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-290.asp
    >
    > --
    > .rev.mct.mcngp.44
    >
    > It is the mark of an educated man to be able to entertain a thought
    > without accepting it.
    > ~Aristotle
    > .
    > "GoodNightJones" <> wrote in message
    >> Hey folks,
    >> Ive noticed in several practice questions that the objectives for
    >> different exams overlap. For example, I have answered several questions
    >> on DNS whilst practicing for the 70-290 exam, which at no point appears
    >> in the course objectives! Is this kind of overlap common? What 'extra'
    >> material do you need to pass 70-290? Id be interested to hear what people
    >> have experienced in their exams.

    Im sorry Rev I should have been more clear! I was looking at the list of
    skills being tested (from the same page as the link you sent me) and they
    dont cover DHCP or DNS configuration, but I have answered questions on these
    topics for the 70-290 exam. Is it common for MS exams to test areas of
    knowledge that arent explicitly listed in the skills list?
    I plan to maybe study both 70-290 and 70-291 simultaneously and then do both
    exams to cover all bases.
    What would you guys recommend?
    GoodNightJones, May 2, 2006
  4. Well 290 and 290 side by side is ok, but I'd reccomend against it....Focus
    on 290 and what you learn will carry over knowledge to what you will need on
    291. But try not to spread your studies thin...

    One at a time.

    --
    ..rev.mct.mcngp.44

    accepting it.
    ~Aristotle
    ..

    The Rev [MCT], May 2, 2006
  5. As the Rev states, 291 and 290 are totally different exams, the 290 covers
    for the most part the Server OS w/some vague references to Server
    Technologies. 291 is predominantly server technologies and networking...and
    also boasts the highest difficulty level and failure rate of any MS exam. If
    you're going to need to focus for any exam that'll be 291.

    Both of these exams throw in content from later MS exams in the MCSE track,
    which is probably why MS recommends you have experience in the field prior to
    taking the test...and to add some additional difficulty. MS has the most
    accurate and challenging exams I've taken, especially when compared to a
    CompTIA exam.

    Additionally, you may want to consider taking 70-271 and 70-272 for your
    MCSA electives if you're starting off new to this. Those exams are excellent
    and discuss client-side/standalone Windows XP troubleshooting, support and
    some basic networking stuff. This will earn you a MCDST certification, which
    one day will come in handy! The cert is for helpdesk support type stuff, but
    I promise you will learn things you never knew and will use in your
    day-to-day work environment. I figure this may be a better option for you
    rather than confusing yourself with ISA server etc as an elective.

    Cutepinkbunnies, May 5, 2006
  6. <snip>
    291 is predominantly server technologies and networking...and also boasts
    the highest difficulty level and failure rate of any MS exam.
    </snip>

    Maybe most by volume, but I'd say second most by percentage. Take the ISA
    exam. :)

    <snip>
    MS has the most accurate and challenging exams I've taken, especially when
    compared to a CompTIA exam.
    </snip>

    Yeah...well that goes without saying. Anyone ever taken i-net or e-biz?
    Sheesh those are both insults to the intellegance. All in all I would say I
    agree with those reccomendations, though remember the MCDST like the A+/Net+
    option is good only for the MCSA and will not carry as an ellective to the
    MCSE...

    --
    ..rev.mct.mcngp.44

    accepting it.
    ~Aristotle
    ..
    "Cutepinkbunnies" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    The Rev [MCT], May 5, 2006
  7. Wise words folks, duly noted
    ps.
    Do Microsoft realise that to get "experience in the field" you need their
    exams? Classic Catch 22 scenario!

    GoodNightJones, May 8, 2006